User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How many times are we going to re-hash this topic? There is NO federal law against carrying a firearm in a commercial vehicle. None..Zippo. Unlike Boom, I have never been asked if I have one except when I cross into Canada.

Most companies will have a policy against this, however, it is from a liability standpoint as well as being otr you never know where you are going. As long as you abide by the laws concerning firearms in whatever locality you are in you may carry.

Never try to enter canada with a handgun. They will not be amused. You may travel through NYC, Chicago, Boston etc.. and other anti-firearm hell-holes as long as you do not stop, and are carrying the firearm in the proscribed method. ie: unloaded and seperated from the ammo and in a locked box. If you have to stop overnight in those places or make a delivery there then you are at the mercy of the laws in that jurisdiction.

Once again: THERE IS NO FEDERAL LAW AGAINST THE CARRY OF FIREARMS IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE.

ps: i actually called out the man doing the orientation at jbhunt on this point. He got up in front of everyone and during one of his spiels popped out this myth. I called him on it immediately and to his credit the next morning he got up in front of the class and corrected himself and said that it was not against federal law but was against company policy.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Board Regular

Found the Federal Statute covering interstate transport...

TITLE 18 USC Part I - Sec 926A

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

-STATUTE-

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

NRAILA reading on the subject: NRA-ILA ::

Rick
Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Found the Federal Statute covering interstate transport...

TITLE 18 USC Part I - Sec 926A

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

-STATUTE-

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation . .

NRAILA reading on the subject: NRA-ILA ::

Rick
Thank you and a fine job! The problem for most of us is with our employers and with the miriad nuances of multiple interstate/county/local jurisdictions. Thank goodness the "big" Supreme Court and, more recently, the Federal appeals courts have ruled favorably AGAINST the unlawful limitations some would attempt to impose.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Ya do what you think you should do. Personally, I carry a handgun in my truck. I am also a retired police detective and can legally carry a concealed weapon anywhere in the USA. Do I carry it on my side while walking around the truck stop? No. Not ever. I also do not ever go into Canada. If DOT asks me if I have one I always tell them I do. I have no reason to lie. They cannot take it away from me as I can legally carry it. I was asked to give it up while I was on a Military base once. The base security placed it into a safe for me and released it back to me when I left the base. No muss, no fuss. BTW, they also took my digital camera and my cell phone because it had a built in camera too.

When I went to my company orientation they of course knew my retired status and have never asked me directly if I was armed or not. They also know that with all of my training and experience I am not apt to make them or myself look bad with it.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
That is a big no no.At every weight station they stop you that's a question that they ask you: do you have any firearms?

The law i very clear: no firearms in commercial interstate vehicles at all.
There is no such law
Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Which state(s) have the most reciprocal CCW recognitions?

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't recall being called into a weigh station and being asked if I have a firearm. There is no law that prohibits firearms in a commercial vehicle. There are company policies against having them in their trucks. Canada doesn't have a sense of humor about having guns in any vehicle. They tend to take it personally.

Okay.Something to learn new.

I was asked once in TX, by a state trooper that stopped me and both times in the AR weigh station about this.Since, i don't own one and not to close to guns,except for what i did in the military, i really didn't bother about it.

So,in one word you can actually carry a firearm in your personal truck,as long it's with the right permits and it's unloaded,stashed away from you directly reaching it??
Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Which state(s) have the most reciprocal CCW recognitions?
Florida has reciprocity with 32 other states. I think it tops the list as having "the most"...

Other states either have no CWP and it's cool to keep a "securely encased" (ie: glove compartment) loaded gun in a vehicle. Some other states like NYC, Mass., CT., NJ have incredibly draconian gun laws (and are KNOWN to disregard federal statute on firearms transiting through the state) and you'd be best served to have your piece unloaded, locked and buried in a toolbox or other space OUTSIDE the cab - WELL BEFORE crossing into these states (as the bears often-times scope out the welcome centers across the state line to see if folks are re-arranging their baggage before entering the state - NJ is particularly famous for this). Leave the NRA stickers OFF the truck.

The Travelers Guide To Firearms Laws of the Fifty States is a comprehensive guide that gets updated every year. A must have for us gun-toters, for $13 is almost as good an investment as the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas.

Rick

Rick
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
Okay.Something to learn new.

I was asked once in TX, by a state trooper that stopped me and both times in the AR weigh station about this.Since, i don't own one and not to close to guns,except for what i did in the military, i really didn't bother about it.

So,in one word you can actually carry a firearm in your personal truck,as long it's with the right permits and it's unloaded,stashed away from you directly reaching it??
If you have a carry permit (absent any particular state regs against carrying in a CMV) you can keep your gun in a holster, concealed in states that your licensing state has reciprocity with. Otherwise - that states rules for firearms in a vehicle apply.

The book I mentioned in my previous post, gives guidelines for all 50 states...

While I haven't been asked in a CMV yet (hmmm, because I'm in school and not working in the industry yet), I'm frequently asked if I have any drugs/paraphernalia/weapons on a traffic stop. 9 times out of 10 - I'll hand my carry permit over with my drivers license, reg & insurance card. Most of the time they'll ask where it is. On the RARE OCCASION, they'll disarm me and give it back after the stop is finished.

It's a CRAZY WORLD out there - and getting even crazier. People who wouldn't normally be "desperate" are becoming so - people who already are, are GETTING EVEN MORE SO. I believe we're still just seeing the "tip of the iceberg" in this county's financial crisis, and things are going to get worse still, before they start to get better. While NO LOAD/TRUCK is worth my life, you can bet I'll be willing to defend it if necessary.

Rick

Last edited by SickRick; 05-07-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

I just looked it up, PA (where I am licensed and officially a resident), has reciprocity with 25 other states, including AK.

I was going to get my CCW before getting into trucking, and now I am considering getting it anyways. Looking at the PA list, I would be legal in the majority of the states I go to, with the exception of the NE.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt