User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default firearms in the truck

How do most companies feel about having firearms in the truck? I have a permit in my home state that allows me to carry a concealed weapon. I am not permitted to carry in some states, but I could just leave it in the truck while I am in those states, as long as the state laws allow that. Would most companies have an aversion to their drivers possessing firearms? Has anyone ever encountered this issue?

SR
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Good luck with this. I have the same question. I have seen this question posted on another trucking forum and the responses went on for over 80 PAGES!!

I never had any issues when I was driving OTR but when I started driving local a few issues popped up.

We fuel our trucks at unmanned fuel islands where some truckers have been attacked and robbed while fueling.

Our drop yard is huge and it has about 200 trailers in it. There is no light what so ever and people roam around back there. You see 4 wheelers driving back there every now and then and some prostitutes bring jons back there and park in between trailers.

I do not carry a firearm with me because it is against company policy but I have a nice size tire thumper and knife.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Board Regular

That is a big no no.At every weight station they stop you that's a question that they ask you: do you have any firearms?

The law i very clear: no firearms in commercial interstate vehicles at all.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Not only is against most companies policies,but alot of shipper and receivers have signs posted prohibiting firearms.Don't even try to cross into Canada with a firearm.Best policy is to watch your surroundings and don't put yourself into any dangerous situation.One thing to remember the person you pull a gun on probably has one that is bigger,so size does matter.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
That is a big no no.At every weight station they stop you that's a question that they ask you: do you have any firearms?

And would you please point out that law.

================================================== ===

As far as the Op's question goes you have a number of......obstacles with carrying a firearm in a CMV, especially across state lines.

1: I will say most, though I have never heard of one that does, trucking companies do not allow firearms in the truck and will terminate you if the find one on the truck or on your person while you are on company business or property.

2: The laws on how to transport a firearm vary from state to state, and sometimes from county to county or even city to city. There is only one way I know of to legally transport a firearm through every jurisdiction and that is to have it in a locked case, with the ammo in a separate locked case and both cases out of reach of the driver at all times. If you do this then what is the point in having a gun in the first place.

3: Regardless of a state's laws the owners of any property have the right to not allow firearms on their property.

4: The very nature of trucking would make it very likely for you to forget that you were carrying as you are often in a hurry and have 10,001 other things on your mind at any given time. Then you get out of your truck and someone sees the gun and at best you are told to leave and have to explain to your company why the warehouse will not load or unload you. At worst you have your gun confiscated and you are hauled off to jail. Either way you are out of a job and most likely will be out of trucking for good.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 PM

The issue of liability alone for a company would be so great, I can't imagine any company would want to take it on. I can only imagine the reaction if you were pulled into a scale and the weapon was found, even if "legal". You would probably get a nice long fine tooth comb inspection. Probably not worth the hassles that would come your way.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

When it comes down to it, firearms are illegal (atleast by the company) so i carry a Louisville Slugger. "OH but that's a weapon too !!!" Yeah, but i also have a ball mit and a ball, so if they ask, i can also say i use that as my tire thumper (which i do).

I find myself in a truck stop that i find a little 'iffy' ill bring my bat into the sleeper with me. Sorry, dont care if i lose my job beating someone to a pulp.....i'm going to watch out for my safety long before i worry about putting my job first.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Lots of CAD threads on this topic. Try this one:

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/a...ld-robber.html

then search the archives.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

I don't recall being called into a weigh station and being asked if I have a firearm. There is no law that prohibits firearms in a commercial vehicle. There are company policies against having them in their trucks. Canada doesn't have a sense of humor about having guns in any vehicle. They tend to take it personally.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

Is it possible to quote the STATUTE in 49 CFR (or any other place) that specifies this?

I've been unable to find anything to that effect...

I too have a carry permit, that is reciprocal in like 35 states. In the states it is NOT, Federal Interstate Compact allows firearms owners that are "just passing through", to have the firearm in a locked case, unloaded and separate from ammunition, locked in the trunk or other similarly immediately inaccessible location.

I'll find the statute for that, if I'm really pressed to do so. But, for example - if you're headed from Florida and your DESTINATION (where you will be STAYING for a time - since truckers are ALWAYS "just passing through") is say, New York - where your pistola would be ILLEGAL - then you;re subject to sanctions in NY by THEIR state/city laws.

You CAN declare a firearm when entering Canada - and I believe you can also "check" your gun at the border, and pick it up on exit. MAJOR PITA. I "snuck" my unloaded/locked in a case pistol, hidden in my bus "sekrit compartment", as I entered and exited through Buffalo and I wasn't "legal" in NY - so I didn't feel comfortable trying to find an FFL dealer to leave it with. I was MUCHO PARANOID to say the least - Canadian Customs didn't give us a second glance - US customs went through the bus and trailer pretty thoroughly.

I FLY with a declared pistol and ammo in my checked baggage ALWAYS - when my destination is a state where I'm legal to carry.

Company policy aside - I'd be REAL INTERESTED in seeing ANY Federal Statute that prohibits firearms in a CMV. Under Interstate Compact - one could assume that as long as your legal in your home terminal state, you should be cool wherever you're "just passing through".

I don't check my MAILBOX without a gun - and if I'm not expecting company, I answer the DOOR with one (so call ahead before you come knocking on my door). I can imagine, being unarmed all the time is going to be one of the most uncomfortable things about driving a rig. I've had a CWP for 20+ years, and have carried almost every day of that time...

Matt's link to FMSCA on the issue of firearms in CMV's

Rick

Last edited by SickRick; 05-07-2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Add link to FMCSA