User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Turned down again

I have a previous post about my hiring situation,"Sorry kinda long" to which nobody replied. I am updating it here. I have been turned down by every company that advertises on this board. I have never had a ticket of any kind, accident of any kind and 4 jobs in the past 24 yrs. My only mistake was to go to and leave 2 companies orientations in 2007 and leaving JB Hunt. I left them after being told to call from home everyday to check on being issued a truck. I called everyday for 3+ weeks but no truck so I found another job to make ends meet. The company I just worked for went out of business. I did not relieze I was that bad of an emplyee. Be careful job hopping new guys..
Old 04-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I replied to your other post and explained to you what your problem is and why no one is wanting to hire you.

At one time a driver could find a job even if he was switching jobs every 4-6 months, but since it is an employer's market right now drivers with more than one every 9 months to a year are going to have a rough go of it.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigjoe66 View Post
I have been turned down by every company that advertises on this board.
That's part of your problem right there. The best jobs I have had over the years is when I went out and met the boss , talked to him, and was hired on the spot on a handshake, before I filled out the application. These companies are recieving a gajillion applications online from a bazillion different drivers. You're one in a bazillion. Go out to the smaller companies and meet some people, and you might be at the right place at the right time.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

My guess is that it is the number of jobs that is really hurting your ability to find a job. Even though you never actually got out of orientation they are still considered employers by most companies. I don't understand why you would leave a company during orientation.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
My guess is that it is the number of jobs that is really hurting your ability to find a job. Even though you never actually got out of orientation they are still considered employers by most companies. I don't understand why you would leave a company during orientation.
This is incredible!!! Have things changed that much on the company side!?!?

What better time to leave a company than orientation? It is insane to penalize someone who is still in the investigative stage of a new job. JB used to tell you you were being hired, bring you into orientation, and only then complete the process off vetting you. Basically, they'd tell people they were hired, bring them into orientation, and then tell them they weren't being hired afterall and send them home.

I went to orientation for one of their dedicated Dollar General accounts. When I got to orientation and learned the accident rate, and knowing that every dented door goes on your DAC, I told them I was leaving and went home.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of the larger carriers don't fully check out drivers until they get to orientation. From what some of them have explained to me, the reason is that there are so many who fail to come to orientation. They save money by not going to the expense of checking out every driver who says that they will come to orientation. Technically, every driver who comes to orientation is conditionally hired providing nothing pops up on their background check. I don't necessarily agree that drivers should be dinged for leaving during orientation.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
This is incredible!!! Have things changed that much on the company side!?!?

What better time to leave a company than orientation? It is insane to penalize someone who is still in the investigative stage of a new job. JB used to tell you you were being hired, bring you into orientation, and only then complete the process off vetting you. Basically, they'd tell people they were hired, bring them into orientation, and then tell them they weren't being hired afterall and send them home.

I went to orientation for one of their dedicated Dollar General accounts. When I got to orientation and learned the accident rate, and knowing that every dented door goes on your DAC, I told them I was leaving and went home.

This happened to my dad. He quit his job to go work for them and he made it till the second day of orientation when they told him he didn't have a job because of an acident he had.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Honest truth, I went to May trucking's orientation in Sept 07. I passed and was sent home to wait on a driver to pick me up and take me to Oregon to be assigned a truck. I was picked up and we went into Fl to deliver a load. Three days later on the way back north I was in a lot of pain so I contacted my d/m and said since I was close to home I was going to go to the doc. He said if I get out to find another job. I had kidney stone surgery 5 days later. Doc said it was in my bladder and as big as a .25 cent gum ball.

I went to JB Hunt in Oct 07 after May. Finished orientation in Atl and everyone was sent home and told to call everyday to check on truck assignments. I called everyday for over 2 weeks. I guess I was mad when in Tifton Ga about 40 miles from me they had about 20 trucks just sitting. I checked a few times in that time period. When I finally was assigned one they said it was in Chicago. I was told to hop a bus. I said I found another job. Maybe I was wrong?

I went to Arrow in Tulsa. I don't know maybe it was me again. Not enough research maybe. I swear they have 800 trucks or so and 70 people in orientation each week. Everyone in my class just about had some sort of criminal record. Their safe stat score was 98%. One thrusday they sent 10 or so experienced drivers out on buses all over the country to be assigned trucks that were abandoned. That to me sounds like a shady outfit. I passed thier orientation but was not assigned a truck so had to stay at roach motel over the weekend. I thought better and came home. Not my type of company.

Anyway that's the ones I left and why. I was told if you take the drug test it goes on you dac as a job but if you leave before you take it it's like you were not there. I took all three because I didn't know that until recently. Live and learn
Old 04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It seems to me as though these companies spend a lot of money bringing people to orientation to not have trucks for them. I am surprised that Arrow brings in 70 people per week to orientation.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Rookie

One thing i would do is stop at all the small companies in your area. It is my feeling you can get alot more done with a face to face meeting with the people in charge. When I started with this new company I am with never talked to them on the phone but my mechanic put me in touch with this company orentation was 7 hours including getting my truck relettered paperwork and a drug test