User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question DAC problems and finding a job.

I have been driving for 7 months at Maverick. I have had 5 minor events Maverick terminated me for. The safety director stated I was a "victim of policy". He said he would take calls to explain if I could get a new possible employer to call. Am I done as a driver?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Rookie

no but your limited!

no more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years is what most companies look at.

i would look at smaller companies big companies might not touch u and 7 months isnt going to cut it. alot of places you need 1 year.

what do u mean by minor violations?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Turkey View Post
no but your limited!

no more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years is what most companies look at.

i would look at smaller companies big companies might not touch u and 7 months isnt going to cut it. alot of places you need 1 year.

what do u mean by minor violations?
That was my first question as well. WHAT KIND OF EVENTS???

If you were getting your lights knocked out while parked at at truck stop, you've got some hope. If you were knocking out other lights while parking, you're "Dead in the Water".

Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the response. I love driving and hope I did not end my career before I began.
Below is the minor they called incidents. No injuries, police or towing.
Joel
From DAC Report
All DOT: No
All Inj/ Fat: No
1. Angle Coll. Bumped rubber pad on trailer back with side of my trailer: No damage
2. Struck stationary object. Pulled over curb with f FRT. BMP. at back-up pulled off bumper plastic ( record of others doing same at same site)
3. Roll away. at gate rolled into trailer in front and bumped. No damage. Less than one foot away reached for paperwork, foot slipped from brake.
4 Backing. Door damage due to iron guide at dock. black at black dock pad and shadow. Lower door scrape.
5. Backing. Tight site. Backing between doors. once in found mud flap on cab my cab pass side hit bumper on driver side of cab on left. bumper scratch to other cab.

I am a good driver and on time. I got the jee bees as problems stacked. I do G.O.A.L if given the chance I can explain and do well for a employer.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Rookie

5 minors in 7 months isnt a good average

this stuff wont end your career

bigger companies might say no till u get a year in

apply the worst they can do is say no

get going on applications and the jee bees will go away

i hate to say this but dont report every scratch

if u get turned down by one company go to the next 7 months might be a problem

good luck
Old 08-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your time and info. I'll keep at them.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheavern View Post
Thanks for the response. I love driving and hope I did not end my career before I began.
Below is the minor they called incidents. No injuries, police or towing.
Joel
From DAC Report
All DOT: No
All Inj/ Fat: No
1. Angle Coll. Bumped rubber pad on trailer back with side of my trailer: No damage
Was this on your "blind-side"? GOAL??? It would suggest you moved the truck (and trailer) a bit too far since the last time you Got Out And Looked.
Quote:
2. Struck stationary object. Pulled over curb with f FRT. BMP. at back-up pulled off bumper plastic ( record of others doing same at same site)
Again... I've pulled up onto curbs in my day, but... Before pulling up there, GOAL Get out and check to see that the bumper will clear, and that there is nothing sharp to cut your tire. Pulling up onto a curb is a LAST RESORT.
Quote:
3. Roll away. at gate rolled into trailer in front and bumped. No damage. Less than one foot away reached for paperwork, foot slipped from brake.
There's a reason the brake buttons are so convenient. Once pulled, you don't have to worry about foot slipping off. Also convenient to push them in.
Quote:
4 Backing. Door damage due to iron guide at dock. black at black dock pad and shadow. Lower door scrape.
Thought Maverick was flatbed... Whose door did your scrap? Again, backing into a dark hole, you may have to get out and check a dozen times to make sure you're getting it right.
Quote:
5. Backing. Tight site. Backing between doors. once in found mud flap on cab my cab pass side hit bumper on driver side of cab on left. bumper scratch to other cab.
As a driver, you are to be aware of what's on all sides of you, and how close. Again, if you have to get out and look a dozen times in order to back 10 feet safely, that's what you have to do.
Quote:
I am a good driver and on time. I got the jee bees as problems stacked. I do G.O.A.L if given the chance I can explain and do well for a employer.

As far as I know, the company will not give you any demerits for stopping and looking every 6 inches when you're backing. They give you demerits for making the wrong kind of contact while you're backing. And, the comments are pretty much what the company will have to say about it all. Safety is seldom "on-site". They look at what they see on the reports and go by that. You need to BE AS GOOD A DRIVER as YOU THINK YOU ARE. Looking at your performance as they will in the safety department, you're coming up a bit short. Whether they say it to you or not, the term they will be using is "CARELESS". You don't "GOAL" often enough or well enough, or both.

What I've said may not help you find another job, but if you do land one, keep it all in mind and it may help you keep the next one. In my day on the road, I was also a trainer. One of the things I had to help a few drivers overcome was carelessness. Not getting out and looking often enough, and not noting how far the truck moved before they got out and looked again. A couple of places I've backed in, I wondered about "repitative motion injury" from climbing out of the cab, looking, and climbing in again.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Rookie

All Good stuff. Maybe not such a good driver. Time to move on to another career.
Thanks again,
Joel