User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Best cooler on the market?

I recently bought a Coleman cooler with a cigarette adapter. That thing SUCKED. I've heard other drivers buying a more efficent cooling fan (such as one for a computer or something) and it made it a little more cooler.

I saw a Hot/Cold cooler in a Pilot truck stop. Sells for $69. Looks a bit more slim than the Coleman, and thought about buying that, since it would be easier to store. I bought a 1.7cf fridge/freezer, sitting on my passenger seat, but dont have an inverter, nor any good place to store it. so thinking of just selling it since it is too big.

What do you drivers have in your truck? What i am looking for, is something to keep my bottled water cool, something i'm able to keep meat from spoiling, etc.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

The Coleman I have works just fine, and it is almost 2 years old. I keep the fins clean, I don't pack anything around the cooling unit inside, that is where I have my bottles contained. I keep milk, cheese, mayo & mustard, meats and fresh fruit without any problems.

I have found ice crystals in milk before. The only real problem I have is with water condensation.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 AM
Board Regular

I heard these coolers work very well. They must, because I see many drivers using them.
Don't know if they will plug into your lighter outlet though.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
sitting on my passenger seat
That right there is a big part of your problem. 12v coolers will only cool about 30 degrees below the ambient air temp and when you have it sitting on the seat you are subjecting it to extra heat from the sun as well as your truck heater. Put it in the sleeper and turn the heat down in there. Also if you put a ziploc type sandwich bag full of ice in the cooler it will help it cool faster and stay cooler inside. Just be sure to double or triple bag to avoid leaks.

I have owned both Coleman and Igloo 40 qt coolers and both have worked very well for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

BTW: If your cooler is not getting cool at all and seems to be getting quite warm reverse the plug. Most 12v coolers have a heating function as well and when it is plugged in one way it heats and the other way it cools.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
The Coleman I have works just fine, and it is almost 2 years old. I keep the fins clean, I don't pack anything around the cooling unit inside, that is where I have my bottles contained. I keep milk, cheese, mayo & mustard, meats and fresh fruit without any problems.

I have found ice crystals in milk before. The only real problem I have is with water condensation.
i kinda did the same thing. I used that devider or shelf right next to the fan, to keep the fan open. As far as the idea of keeping it on my seat....i may have to move my clothes bag that i keep in the cubbie hole under the bed and put the cooler there. might as well try buying another one i guess. i just dont like the idea of it only cooling 30deg below outside temp. I would rather find something that will keep things inside cool at a set temp.

i can always return it again i guess.....
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Board Member

What you want is an actual refrigerator then. You can get 12v fridge's, but be prepared to pay for such an item.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
i kinda did the same thing. I used that devider or shelf right next to the fan, to keep the fan open. As far as the idea of keeping it on my seat....i may have to move my clothes bag that i keep in the cubbie hole under the bed and put the cooler there. might as well try buying another one i guess. i just dont like the idea of it only cooling 30deg below outside temp. I would rather find something that will keep things inside cool at a set temp.

i can always return it again i guess.....

Well with good working a/c my cab never got much warmer than about 70 degrees ,but if you are not idiling in the summer while you sit ,and don't have an apu you can forget using a thermo-electric cooler to store much more than a beverage ,because in cab temps easily reach 90 or better in 90 degree and up summer temps when you are only blowing hot air around with a plug in fan , which means you get a 60 degree or warmer "cooler".
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
. i just dont like the idea of it only cooling 30deg below outside temp. I would rather find something that will keep things inside cool at a set temp.
If you want that (in any size bigger than microscopic), you are going to have to go with a legitimate refrigerator, which isn't going to be portable in any way, shape, or form.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
What you want is an actual refrigerator then. You can get 12v fridge's, but be prepared to pay for such an item.

Engel 15

Something like that, but you are looking at spending $300-$400 for a small one and over $600 for a medium or large one, and yes several of these will run off a cigarette lighter outlet.