LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Well with good working a/c my cab never got much warmer than about 70 degrees ,but if you are not idiling in the summer while you sit ,and don't have an apu you can forget using a thermo-electric cooler to store much more than a beverage ,because in cab temps easily reach 90 or better in 90 degree and up summer temps when you are only blowing hot air around with a plug in fan , which means you get a 60 degree or warmer "cooler".
Heh heh heh.......Hey Big Jeep? Would that particular set up that you describe above be appropriately named a Gainey uncool, coolie cooler?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Board Regular

None, get a real refridgerator.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Heh heh heh.......Hey Big Jeep? Would that particular set up that you describe above be appropriately named a Gainey uncool, coolie cooler?

Yes it could apply to GTS and many of the big carriers that think a 12v plug in fan will substitue for an apu or idling the truck for A/C ... I remember having to call my dispatcher for "TIPS" on staying warm in winter and cool in summer ...At GTS they actually said I had no need to idle for heat in march 2008 despite temps being around 35 after sundown in Madison ,WI ...Because I could buy a good 30below sleeping bag ,and no need to idle while sitting in Laredo,TX in August at 115 degrees,because I could use window screens and a fan to keep cool and ... find shade to park in...LOL yep "shade" in the truck stop parking lot . But the funny thing was the head of the fuel department could keep a straight face while suggesting these options during idle counsiling .
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yes it could apply to GTS and many of the big carriers that think a 12v plug in fan will substitue for an apu or idling the truck for A/C ... I remember having to call my dispatcher for "TIPS" on staying warm in winter and cool in summer ...At GTS they actually said I had no need to idle for heat in march 2008 despite temps being around 35 after sundown in Madison ,WI ...Because I could buy a good 30below sleeping bag ,and no need to idle while sitting in Laredo,TX in August at 115 degrees,because I could use window screens and a fan to keep cool and ... find shade to park in...LOL yep "shade" in the truck stop parking lot . But the funny thing was the head of the fuel department could keep a straight face while suggesting these options during idle counsiling .
Well...since GTS is getting to run from their debts, maybe suggesting that GTS turn the thermostat in their offices down to 35 degrees for heating, and 118 degrees for cooling...and give the exec's thermal undies for warmth and "Geisha" fans for cooling themselves, would be a good "foot forward" to prove to Taxpayers that they are sincere about saving money!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Like that could happen!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Well...since GTS is getting to run from their debts, maybe suggesting that GTS turn the thermostat in their offices down to 35 degrees for heating, and 118 degrees for cooling...and give the exec's thermal undies for warmth and "Geisha" fans for cooling themselves, would be a good "foot forward" to prove to Taxpayers that they are sincere about saving money!!

Like that could happen!!!

I always pointed out the very comfy offiices in Grand Rapids ,and the potential savings to be had by shutting off the central air and only keeping heat at 50 degrees in winter to keep pipes from freezing ...Yeah when GTS filed chapter 11 in the beginning of 2008 they used that as an excuse to cut out idleaire reimbursement completely ,but yet still wanted no idle during layovers in hot/cold weather...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I always pointed out the very comfy offiices in Grand Rapids ,and the potential savings to be had by shutting off the central air and only keeping heat at 50 degrees in winter to keep pipes from freezing ...Yeah when GTS filed chapter 11 in the beginning of 2008 they used that as an excuse to cut out idleaire reimbursement completely ,but yet still wanted no idle during layovers in hot/cold weather...
LOL.........well, look at the bright side Big Jeep! You could have ended up like this poor coolie carrier soul............... You ain't got nothing on this 50's guy Jeep LOL:lol::moon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 50's View Post
i just put out my resume this home time ,because in addition to low miles and only .33 cpm Gainey can't even offer their divers the ability to keep the truck cool when on break,as they only give 30% idle time ,which is only 3.5 hours a day on top of 50 moving hours which could be 2500-3000 miles...heck they sat me in Dallas Tx for 2 days of 100 degree weather ,and they expect no idilng ,and don't do buiness with ide aire b/c they are both chapter 11...they offer no alteratives to get a/c in the summer and heat in the winter without idiling the truck ...they wrote me up for idiling 8hrs day while sleeping because it's more than 3.5hrs allowed ...in order to not get wrote up again i paid $140.00 for 2 days in a motel ,and then i get qualcomm message stating goo job your idle is down ...no ***** sherlock !...that's because i wasn't in te truck the 2 100 degree days t sat in Dallas...I can't wait to get away...I'm even looking at Werner again b/c atleast they respected the driver enough to give them a/c in the summer,and heat in the winter...and not just while driving... :wink:

Last edited by belpre122; 01-15-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I found a cooler that works !! Wanted to get any opinions from other drivers about this product. I was at a Pilot east of Memphis a month or so ago and saw one of those ROADPRO coolers. they were selling it for $69.99. Everywhere else i've seen them, they go for $20 more. I finally ran into another Pilot selling them for the lower price, so bought it. It fits perfectly under the lower cubbie hole in my volvo right behind the passenger seat. It works really really well, and keeps things MUCH colder than the Coleman cooler i had before.

Anybody have this ROADPRO cooler, and what problems, if any, have you had with it??
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Board Icon

I try to avoid any ROADPRO products.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Rookie
Location: God's Kingdom but I frequent Kansas at least once a month

Quote:
. But the funny thing was the head of the fuel department could keep a straight face while suggesting these options during idle counsiling .
Now thats funny:lol2:
Lord may I grow to become a Wise, Good, man
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
The Coleman I have works just fine, and it is almost 2 years old. I keep the fins clean, I don't pack anything around the cooling unit inside, that is where I have my bottles contained. I keep milk, cheese, mayo & mustard, meats and fresh fruit without any problems.

I have found ice crystals in milk before. The only real problem I have is with water condensation.
Same here......my Coleman, which I bought used, works great. I too keep the fins and fan clean (amazing how much dust and dirt collects on them). I store lunch meats, fruits, drinks, even frozen foods (they get eaten before fully thawing ) the thing to remember is that it is a "cooler" and not a refrigerator. They are not designed to maintain a temp like a normal refer would. I believe Coleman claims it will cool up to 10 or 20 degrees less than the ambient temp or something like that. Mine also has the capability of being a warmer (reverse the plug) which I've never tried. Like Orangetxguy, I have had drinks actually form ice crystals in them from time to time and the same issue with condensation.