User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Diesel doesn't weigh 8 lbs per gallon. Depending upon where you are, the time of year, and what additives have been added, diesel fuel will weigh anywhere from 6.75 lbs per gallon to 7.25 lbs per gallon. To be safe, I wouldn't count on it weighing any more than 6 lbs per gallon, just to give some breathing room.

Here's a simple fuel weight calculator, although YMMV.

RV Calculators - Liquid Weight Calculator
I was taught that it weighed APPROXIMATELY 8 lbs. and we HAD this discussion along time ago and it was settled as close to the accepted average. If it weighs a BIT less, as you state, big deal. But, your point is taken. Allow a bit MORE breathing room than I suggested, even though no one REALLY cares about a few more pounds! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Board Icon

Okay.... back on topic! What WAS the topic again? Oh yeah.... overweight concerns.

Okay.... I'm not FOND of overweight women! Espcecially, when they won't LEAVE in the morning! And SOME of you truckers could stand to lose a few pounds, too!

You could carry more diesel that way! :hellno::clap:

Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I already said that the subject was closed. Back on topic. ~Rev.
Hey! What happened to my explanation that your computer was faster than mine?

:lol::lol:

Old 12-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

i would have taken it straight back to the shipper. to hell with what the company thinks. they won't be paying jack squat. it's nothing but a ruse to get you moving. an overweight fine is not worth it.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
WHEN have you been close to either with a load of flowers? So, what do YOU know about it?

By your OWN admission, you rarely get east of the Cascades, so what do you know of other states' requirements?

Why don't you stick to giving advice about things you KNOW about like... running a successful trucking business of sorts... and leave the REAL truck driving questions to those who do 48 states?
Again it is painfully obvious that you are still clueless..... Are you knowledgeable about containerized nursery stock, b&b, or b&r ???? If you actually knew what you were foaming about, you would know what nursery weighs...... :thumbsup:

Also why should I go east of the cascades or OTR.... been there done that, my drivers do that.... thats what employees are for. Don't need or have to re-live the dweller OTR lifestyle..........:thumbsup:
Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Again it is painfully obvious that you are still clueless..... Are you knowledgeable about containerized nursery stock, b&b, or b&r ???? If you actually knew what you were foaming about, you would know what nursery weighs...... :thumbsup:

Also why should I go east of the cascades or OTR.... been there done that, my drivers do that.... thats what employees are for. Don't need or have to re-live the dweller OTR lifestyle..........:thumbsup:
Well, I've hauled nursery stock. doesn't weigh like rolls of paper, loads of brick, or flats loaded with steel. But, it did prove to be a source of fresh water with the reefer running at 45 degrees. All sorts of condensation running out of the drain tubes. For that matter, it's also one of the businesses that is likely to suffer with this economy. You might be seeing some problems in the year 2009. Not something that is essential to sustaining life. It's usually where any extra money goes. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Well, I've hauled nursery stock. doesn't weigh like rolls of paper, loads of brick, or flats loaded with steel. But, it did prove to be a source of fresh water with the reefer running at 45 degrees. All sorts of condensation running out of the drain tubes. For that matter, it's also one of the businesses that is likely to suffer with this economy. You might be seeing some problems in the year 2009. Not something that is essential to sustaining life. It's usually where any extra money goes. Good luck.
Orders for nursery stock are on par for 2009 as they were for 2008. But certainly not like the halcyon days of 2006 and 2007. Since new housing starts have ground to a halt and the mortgage mess began, homeowners are now starting to focus on remodeling and that includes landscaping. It is not all doom and gloom out there....
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Rookie

First some info
Got stopped in Fl, I-75, MM 449, NB Weigh Station where I learned ...
1. That Fl gives 300lbs tolerance (per officer who wrote the ticket).
2. No Points on my license. Ticket goes against the company.
3. They do not allow extra weight for APU's (there is paperwork for APU in my permit book)

Ticket shows over 340lbs gross @ five cents per pound for a total fine of $17.00. I was told I did not have to fix the problem and could continue after the paperwork was complete.

Now after reading the responses of all the nice folks here and with some contemplation on my own, I find that the biggest issue is if I am involved in an accident whether at fault or not. By not having everything in order chances are that I will be found at fault just because I moved the vehicle. If the timing was just a little worse it could have been me in an accident in Nashville, instead it was a single vehicle MVA one vehicle in front of me (had to stay since I was a witness).

And as thebaldeagle655 wrote so well
Quote:
The major negative I can see is that, if you are busted, they could make you sit at the scale until another truck shows up to take your excess weight off of you and get you legal. Another is that this goes on the companies safestat score. Meaning that when a driver crosses the scale and the scale operator punches in the license number or MC number, the safestat score is displayed to the scale operator. If the company has repeated violation and a bad safestat score, they end being subjected to inspections a bit more often than companies with good safestat scores.

The other negative, in my opinion, the most important to consider is that a lot of drivers forget that this is in fact an equipment violation. YOUR personal insurance company will see this when they review your insurance next time. Repeated equipment violations, ie., overweight, tires, lights, etc. very well could mean more money coming out of YOUR, not the companies pockets for YOUR insurance premium on your personal vehicles!
Guess I have to say no to those loads that can't meet the law's requirements.

Thanks for all the great responses,
Dan
Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Board Regular

First some info
Got stopped in Fl, I-75, MM 449, NB Weigh Station where I learned ...
1. That Fl gives 300lbs tolerance (per officer who wrote the ticket).
2. No Points on my license. Ticket goes against the company.
3. They do not allow extra weight for APU's (there is paperwork for APU in my permit book)

Ticket shows over 340lbs gross @ five cents per pound for a total fine of $17.00. I was told I did not have to fix the problem and could continue after the paperwork was complete

Wow

So FLA law is just what I said it was.

And there is such a thing as scale tolerance.

340 lbs. over gross is less than 1/2 of 1%. Burn 45 gallons of fuel & you're legal. I don't think there's a whole lot of potential liability there. Especially since John Law allowed you to continue. I say take the load & run it.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"

Last edited by LightsChromeHorsepower; 01-01-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: punktuayshun & spellign