User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It would be nice for the OP to come back and explain what he means by "dismissed felony case."

Assuming he was charged with a felony, went to court, and the charges were dismissed then they only way anyone would really know about it is if he told them. It is also possible that if he was convicted but the charges were later dropped after successful completion of his sentence that the only way that anyone would know if he volunteered the information, though that may depend a lot on the state laws where a conviction took place.

Anyone who has been around this or other boards long enough have seen people come and go who complain they can't get a job because they do not comprehend the difference between "charged" and "convicted" and volunteer information that they don't need to.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We need to ratchet it down a bit, people. We don't want this to escalate into a name calling or shouting match. I think we can make our point without getting too emotional.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Board Regular

BD is, as usual, a punk, a bully, and factually incorrect.

A felony can be dismissed with, or without prejudice, the difference being whether the court will allow the prosecutor to re-file the charge(s). A felony can also carry a misdemeanor sentence, and a court may, after the subject has completed the terms of the sentence, allow the defendent to change their plea to not guilty and dismiss the charges.

I encourage the OP to keep looking. He will have to answer yes to any questions regarding whether he has ever been arrested.

Having had felony charges dismissed against me has not prevented me from finding employment as a truck driver, or from obtaining a real estate sales license. I have always answered any pertinent questions truthfully and in detail, and included copies of the court documents.

From a legal standpoint (at least in regards to hiring practices) a dismissal is equal to a finding of innocence.

It was interesting to me to find out that if I were to go to law school and then apply to the Bar, I would not have to even disclose anything related to any charges which were dismissed. I guess you could make the argument that it's easier to become a lawyer than a truck driver. If I had known that 20 years ago, I would probably be a lawyer today.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
I guess you could make the argument that it's easier to become a lawyer than a truck driver.
They have 2 week Bar Exam Mills?

It would be easier for someone who gets in trouble with the law, but manages to get charges dropped to become a lawyer than a truck driver. But the multiple years of schooling kinda throw that whole argument out the window.

Quote:
If I had known that 20 years ago, I would probably be a lawyer today.
I'm not even gonna touch that one....
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
No such thing as a " dismissed felony case "........:roll2:
Really?... what do you think a grand jury does. A person is "charged" with a felony and the case is brought before a grand jury to decide whether their is enough evidence to proceed with a trail or to dismiss the case. cases are often dismissed or dropped to a lower charge.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Spoke with a Schnieder recruiter before I went to Con-way. The rates I was offered were .30 per mile for a dedicated run, or .39 for OTR.

The rates are different for OTR and dedicated! :lol2:
Do me a favor... RUN FROM SCHNEIDER!! They probably have the worst equipment on the road hands down!! The trailers are trash on the system and dedicated accounts.. Most of the trucks have problems out the rear!! Think this.. every so called coolie has new trucks, Swifty, Crete, Werner, J.B. Hunt... SCHNEIDER STILL HAS THERE PLAIN OLD CENTURY CLASSES!! NO PROSTARS, NO CASCIDAS... This Company is the cheapest out of them all.. I'm Just stuck cause the job market is down the drain... and for all the geniuses especially Big Jeep.. What Coolie pays a damn good wage coming out of school??? Maybe a Skate board company like TMC or Maverick, but no Schneider, No Werner, or Swift pays a good wage until they see you can put up a year or 2 with there B.S... I'm not starting a Local, OTR debate but for real your first year in trucking is going to suck, take it or F%$@ing leave it..
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Amazing how many " fine upstanding " dwellers at this site claim to know so much about felonies.......:rofl::rofl::rofl: I wonder why ????:thumbsup:
I can't speak for everyone but myself it's a background in law enforcement. It's amazing how some people resort to distraction and name calling like a child when they are mistaken.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Do me a favor... RUN FROM SCHNEIDER!! They probably have the worst equipment on the road hands down!! The trailers are trash on the system and dedicated accounts.. Most of the trucks have problems out the rear!! Think this.. every so called coolie has new trucks, Swifty, Crete, Werner, J.B. Hunt... SCHNEIDER STILL HAS THERE PLAIN OLD CENTURY CLASSES!! NO PROSTARS, NO CASCIDAS... This Company is the cheapest out of them all.. I'm Just stuck cause the job market is down the drain... and for all the geniuses especially Big Jeep.. What Coolie pays a damn good wage coming out of school??? Maybe a Skate board company like TMC or Maverick, but no Schneider, No Werner, or Swift pays a good wage until they see you can put up a year or 2 with there B.S... I'm not starting a Local, OTR debate but for real your first year in trucking is going to suck, take it or F%$@ing leave it..

Werner pays .26cpm starting...it takes 2 years too reach .30 cpm, and 10 yrs to reach .35 cpm ...Now the average pay at 1yr is .35 cpm ...Now like I said Werner is no place to go if you have options ,because the pay is well below average even at 2-10 yrs .

You lose credibility when you rate a company low just b/c they run freightliner century ,as the brand of truck a company runs says little about driver earnings .

But I guess you got plenty of trucking experience via DELL ...And someday my even get a CDL...Lol
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Werner pays .26cpm starting...it takes 2 years too reach .30 cpm, and 10 yrs to reach .35 cpm ...Now the average pay at 1yr is .35 cpm ...Now like I said Werner is no place to go if you have options ,because the pay is well below average even at 2-10 yrs .

You lose credibility when you rate a company low just b/c they run freightliner century ,as the brand of truck a company runs says little about driver earnings .

But I guess you got plenty of trucking experience via DELL ...And someday my even get a CDL...Lol
didn't say anything about the truck having to do with the driver's earnings.. Also if you wasn't trying so hard to be such a wise ass one of main arguments was equipment!! Schneider has some of the worst trailers, System and Dedicated!! Hell There Bulk Tankers even has Dents the size of Texas!!! but hell your know it all big jeep.. yeah i guess you got all the answer tho right??
But answer me this mr. Jeep, where can this young man go to make an nice smooth 40 to 45 k his first year?? Please, tell me so i can go apply for it too....

And let me ask you this, if both companies had the same pay packages, same amount of miles and the same benfits.. but one company has far superior better equipment which one are u going to choose?? let me guess the one with the less well maintain equipment??

P.S. No my Trucking Experience comes from VIA Pops, Three Uncles, and Three Cousins who has a combined experience over 100 years (Pops 30 years, Uncle 1 25 years, Uncle 2 19 years, Uncle 3 13 years, the Cousins make up the rest)... sorry i'm not Double L... I actually drive a truck and been driving (illegally for some) a riding for a while now..

Last edited by Hawkjr; 12-10-2008 at 05:17 AM.