User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Actually, confession time... in the last 2 hours I've surfed the web sites of three dozen companies-- specifically looking at their "qualifications" sections-- seems there's at least two dozen companies who would love to get a hold of a ( pot head ( 8 year old Felony Conviction)+ DUI drunk driver-- as opposed to a-- mildly diabetic, with "other" work record DAC, and possible/pending/disputable- left truck in unauthorized location experienced driver.

Swift/ CREngland will help you get your CDL then you definately will get in with whoever flips the bill on that.
Amazing-- what they can let slide by.... when they NEED cheap labor!

So come on IN! big guy-- join the Party
Old 10-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
Actually, confession time... in the last 2 hours I've surfed the web sites of three dozen companies-- specifically looking at their "qualifications" sections-- seems there's at least two dozen companies who would love to get a hold of a ( pot head ( 8 year old Felony Conviction)+ DUI drunk driver-- as opposed to a-- mildly diabetic, with "other" work record DAC, and possible/pending/disputable- left truck in unauthorized location experienced driver.

Swift/ CREngland will help you get your CDL then you definately will get in with whoever flips the bill on that.
Amazing-- what they can let slide by.... when they NEED cheap labor!

So come on IN! big guy-- join the Party

I always love the opinion that something that happened to a person years ago still defines the person that they are today. Sure, some people never change but to insinuate that every single person that ever had a DUI or a minor pot arrest many years ago is a still a pot head or a drunk today is just ridiculous. That argument just doesnt fly. Because a company is willing to hire with a felony or DUI conviction from 8+ years ago hardly qualifies the drivers as drunks and pot heads. Someone on here on the old board made a great comment on one of these kind of threads once comenting on how quick so many people on here are to call people out for stuff like that and tell them to get a new career because they are not needed in the industry but then went on to ask how many time a lot of people on here have gotten behind the wheel of their personal vehicle after a few drinks at the bar or at a friends house and just have never been caught. The only difference between a lot of you and the ones that have something on your record is simply that fact, you just havent been caught over the years.I know some peopl;e dont drink but I wouild say a good strong percentage of all the posters that have been registered on this board through out the years especially in the younger years did alot of going out and partying and then driving home or cruising the streets when they probably should not have been and just managed to not ever get caught. One wrong move even just a little bit of a heavier foot on the gas pedal could have changed that very quickly for a lot of people so i just dont get why so many people are quick to give that opinion and tell them to go to Mcdonalds and there is no room for you in this industry when for one its just a little over the top and 2 its just not always true.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
I always love the opinion that something that happened to a person years ago still defines the person that they are today. Sure, some people never change but to insinuate that every single person that ever had a DUI or a minor pot arrest many years ago is a still a pot head or a drunk today is just ridiculous. That argument just doesnt fly. Because a company is willing to hire with a felony or DUI conviction from 8+ years ago hardly qualifies the drivers as drunks and pot heads. Someone on here on the old board made a great comment on one of these kind of threads once comenting on how quick so many people on here are to call people out for stuff like that and tell them to get a new career because they are not needed in the industry but then went on to ask how many time a lot of people on here have gotten behind the wheel of their personal vehicle after a few drinks at the bar or at a friends house and just have never been caught. The only difference between a lot of you and the ones that have something on your record is simply that fact, you just havent been caught over the years.I know some peopl;e dont drink but I wouild say a good strong percentage of all the posters that have been registered on this board through out the years especially in the younger years did alot of going out and partying and then driving home or cruising the streets when they probably should not have been and just managed to not ever get caught. One wrong move even just a little bit of a heavier foot on the gas pedal could have changed that very quickly for a lot of people so i just dont get why so many people are quick to give that opinion and tell them to go to Mcdonalds and there is no room for you in this industry when for one its just a little over the top and 2 its just not always true.
I agree but the past is the past and facts are facts. Bassdaddy will have a hard time making it in this industry. He/she should be glad they didn't lose 6 grand for schooling. It's just the way it is. Companies cannot afford the liability.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:49 PM

have you tried ptl, i was having the same problem on getting a job. but i have been with ptl since june
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdaddy22 View Post
I've been calling trucking companies left and right and its my background and MVR thats stopping me. I dont think its that bad considering the people that companies hire.

3 year MVR - 2 speeding tickets - 14 and 20 over
Background - 2 misdemeanors - DUI - older than 5 yrs
Poss. of Marijuana less than 1 oz - almost 8 yrs old

Does anyone know a company that would hire me? I called the DMV and I am qualified to obtain my CDL. I've applied at about 30 different companies. I gave up because I shouldn't have to go though that many people. Any help is appreciated.

Try Taco Bell, Denny's, Burger King or McDonalds.....
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will not take a driver with a speeding ticket 20+ mph over the posted speed limit. If it were only those tickets you might be able to do something once it drops off your MVR. Some carriers will take someone with one DUI after a certain period of time has elapsed. It seems to be 5 or 7 years with those who will allow them. Two DUI's is usually the kiss of death. Most carriers will pull a 3 year MVR. Others will go back as far as they can in your state. Once a DUI drops off your MVR it will still show up on a criminal background check. The same with the drug charge. Drugs and alcohol are a definite no no in this industry. Looking at your entire record it shows that you are careless and don't like playing by the rules. Carriers will look at your record as high liability. If it shows up on your MVR then you will have a problem finding a position. Some carriers do criminal background checks. If they do and these charges show up then you won't be hired or could be fired after the fact. My guess is that you will have to wait a few years until more time elapses before most carriers will consider hiring you. Many carriers are checking backgrounds more carefully these days. If nothing else shows up the speeding ticket will. The 14 over is marginal, but would likely not deter most carriers from hiring you. The 20 over will keep most from hiring you. My insurance company would not cover you with that one ticket alone. There are a couple of recruiters who frequent this board. There is also a company listings section you can access at the top of this page. It lists the basic requirements of each carrier. Not all carriers are listed, but many of the larger ones are listed. You could get on the phone and start making calls to their recruiting departments. I think most will tell you what we are stating here on this board. You will need to either find something else for a few years or go with a different career choice. There may be some local dump truck or construction companies who might over look some of your infractions, but all of us must clear any new hires with our insurance companies.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Big Diesel you're response has already been stated why the need to say it again?
Very original.. you must have thought long and hard before posting that one...

I too have a questionable past from the age of 15 until my early 20's, I even had a dui at the age of 31, some 14 years ago, none of which effect my ability to drive a truck, or the person I am today we all make mistakes in life and at the time most of us realize inside how stupid it is/was to make the mistake. We then pick ourselves up and move forward to realize a new future.
this guy just asked a question and was looking for ideas, for once most of the responses this he got were very up front and to the point, in a mild way, there is no need to act "Fat, Drunk, Stupid and not original....

Timberwolf

It Is What IT Is..
Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some companies are more rigid than others. I think some people will give people an opportunity if they feel that they are sincere in their efforts to turn their lives around. Many of the larger carriers are not as flexible as some of the smaller carriers. The problem is getting his MVR around the insurance company. An old DUI or drug charge is more a carrier policy than something that the insurance company will check. The insurance companies seem to be more concerned with a drivers experience and MVR. Even if all the other things were not readily available to them the excessive speeding tickets will prevent most from hiring him until they drop off of his MVR. If he keeps his record clean until the moving violations come off then he might stand a chance of getting on with a carrier, depending on their policies and whether they routinely do a criminal background check. If they don't check his criminal history and he has a clean MVR, then they might give him an opportunity. The reason so many carriers are reluctant to hire someone with multiple DUI's and drug charges is the potential liability should he become involved in a serious accident. It could cost the insurance company and carrier millions. Neither like the idea of accepting that much liability.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Big Diesel you're response has already been stated why the need to say it again?
Very original.. you must have thought long and hard before posting that one...

I too have a questionable past from the age of 15 until my early 20's, I even had a dui at the age of 31, some 14 years ago, none of which effect my ability to drive a truck, or the person I am today we all make mistakes in life and at the time most of us realize inside how stupid it is/was to make the mistake. We then pick ourselves up and move forward to realize a new future.
this guy just asked a question and was looking for ideas, for once most of the responses this he got were very up front and to the point, in a mild way, there is no need to act "Fat, Drunk, Stupid and not original....

Timberwolf

It Is What IT Is..
Since it is obvious that you truly do not comprehend this subject.... I would suggest that you invest over six figures of your own money in a trucking company, at that time you may be able to understand the thought process of why there is no place in this industry for people with that type of background........................................ ......
Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM

since when does comprehension of a subject and telling you that your post was very un-original have anything to do with each other. It seems to me I touched a sore spot with you. I comprehend the idea of insurance and employee risk quite well, however I find it very strange that one must feel the need to use a very old and over-used line. It's been done over and over again. The guy asked a question be up front with him and honest and sincere not an asshole...
As far as investing my own money in a trucking company not a chance in hell, bad investment all the way around, So you see I do comprehend.....

Timberwolf