User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Oil field truck driving

Has anyone done any oil field truck driving who would care to describe what it was like? Would a person right out of truck driving school have a chance of being hired for that kind of driving? I know I really need to contact an oil field company about that but I still want to ask here as well.

Also, do dump truck and cement truck companies particularly care about wheather you have otr experience since it is an entirely different kind of driving?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I believe Orangetxguy has worked in the oil fields. I think a couple of other drivers have also driven in the oil fields. Most dump, cement or straight trucks are not likely to care about any otr experience. It is an entirely different animal.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 AM

I drove in the oilfield pulling a tanker for a couple of years.

We hauled all different kinds of fluids; fresh water, pit water, flowback, drilling mud, diesel, pit water, etc...

The hours can be very long and the work can be dirty and nasty. Coveralls will help some, but you'll still get soaked to the bone if you unhook a hose wrong or screw something up. (which happens almost every day!) I considered it a good day if my girlfriend would let me into the house without making me strip naked on the porch first.

Be prepared to work in all kinds of weather outdoors. The summertime can be nice, sitting on the back deck and enjoying the view while you are loading or unloading. Then winter comes along and you are back there in 40 below zero weather, loading and unloading. Yes, water is hauled even at 40 below zero... get used to humping frozen hoses and fighting ice.

The hours are unpredictable and vary widely for the most part. If you happen to be sucking a pit dry and hauling it off to the water treatment facility you might get lucky and work daylight hours. Get used to that for a week or so and then you'll have to go service a frac job, which run 24 hours until they are done and they cannot run out of water under any circumstance. You'll be there for most if not all of it... long, long days... get into the habit of carrying extra food and drink because you never know how long you'll be out there or when you'll be called off of a 'regular' job to fill in somewhere else and be there until the next day or longer.

Don't expect that you'll be able to swing by the local convenience store between runs or on the way to a job. The closest place might be 60 miles away in the wrong direction.

Yeah, there's HOS... not. You work when the work is there, period. Your boss won't want to hear it and the Company Man definitely doesn't want to hear it. He expects trucks to be there and be ready. The fastest way to get kicked off of a location is to bitch about being there. Good for you to go home and get some sleep, bad because whoever you work for will never work for that company again, and you will never work in that area again.

The money can be awesome if you get with a decent company. Most places have decent equipment, it's usually required by the companies they sub-contract to.

If you hire on with one of the fly-by-nighters, all bets are off, including if your check will clear the bank.

It's certainly not all bad. Only some of the days truly suck.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL......My oilfield experience is kind of dated. Late 70's through mid 80's.

I worked for what is now Schlumberger's "Well Services" division. Back then it was Dowell, then it was DowellSchlumberger. Unlike SilverWulf....I enjoyed my work in the "Patch". Of course..I was young.

The work is far harder than the driving. If you have a good attitude about hard work, then there is nothing wrong with working in the oilfield.

Most of the companies that are hiring want you to be a multi-tasker. You need to drive the truck, handle cables and chains, hoses and shovels, mud and ice, hot and cold...and sometimes you might be asked to climb.

Where you are will mean more as to experience than anything. if you are in an area where drivers with experience and willingness to be out there working, are plentiful...your going to find it tough. If you are in an area where willing drivers are in short supply..your not going to have all that much of a problem.

Knocking on doors is the best way to get real information. Get out there and start knocking.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Rookie

Iam Driving for Sanjel USA Inc at this time , The driving for me is about 25% of the time . I drive different rigs , It's some off road and pavement. When your on lease or at the well site you learn how to park real close ,You will learn how to take directions from someone on the ground , Sometimes it would be easier if they just let me park it. Anyway the money is great and I sleep in a hotel every nite. Iam out for at least 8 to 10 days Iam comitted for 15 then you get 6 off. My first month I neted 4800 bucks. And I just started. Foe this job you will need Haz mat and tanker. I love it . I was over the road for 3 months and decided I wanted to be home more often. Good luck Andy