User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Having problems...(very long post)

Well, as many of you know from my posts, I've been driving for Roehl for about a year now. Up until a few months ago, with no problems whatsoever. I pulled a dry van for a few months, then switched to their curtainside division, and have been running that ever since. I like working here, and for the most part I've been very happy here.

Everything changed, however, back in June when I switched into the training division to become a driver trainer. I figured that I've been successful thus far largely becauese I had two really great trainers, and I wanted to help other new drivers get into the industry. Well, after the weeklong application process, I was accepted with no problems, as I've never had any accidents, incidents, tickets, or other negative things, I get great fuel economy, and I keep my logs in order. So, I was accepted, transferred to a new dispatcher within the training department, and was told that I was to get up to Marshfield ASAP to attend the training foundations course.

Well, this was when things started to go wrong. First of all, when I was switched over by my old mainstream dispatcher, he told me that the next availible course was next tuesday, and that I was going to have to make it up there for that. When I switched to my new dispatcher, he insisted to me that there was no course that week, and that he'd let me know and get me up there for it. He then took the next four days off. When I spoke with him on Monday, I was in Norfolk, VA, which is over 1,000 miles from Marshfield, WI. He told me that I was right, and that there was a course starting the next day, and there was nothing they could do to get me there. Fine, I figured, everyone makes mistakes, no big deal.

well, it took them over a month to get me into a course. There were only two of us going through the course at the time, and the other guy loved to tell stories. So, we talked a lot back and forth during different opportunities during the course, such as at lunch, and so on. Well, the first day of the course, the head of the training division ate lunch with us.

The next day, I was called into his office to sit down with him and my dispatcher. He told me that he was concerned with how much I talked, and that I may overwhelm a new student. Regardless of the fact that he never saw me trying to instruct, he had a problem with me, and he told me that I would not be able to train until I came back two weeks from then to go through MORE training...yes, I was singled out because he thought i talked too much!

Well, I got back to Marshfield in about two weeks, spent the afternoon with one of the orientation instructors, who had nothing but good things to say about me. I honestly enjoyed it, as we had a great time going over some things and driving around marshfield. We got back and went into the office, where he told my dispatcher and the head of training that I was good to go. Great, I thought, I could FINALLY get this thing started!

Well, not quite, as it was time for me to go home, as I had 5 days off coming, and I had to take a trip somewhere with my wife. The load they sent me home with had 5 stops, and in this division, I am responsible for planning and setting up all my own appoitments. So, I got the load, went home on Friday, and was going to come out Wednesday to be empty by Friday. Well, I planned all my stops tuesday afternoon, when it was too late to call anyone, so I started making phone calls wednesday morning. I was going to have to leave mid morning on wednesday to make everything on time, but there was a problem. The first customer could NOT take them on wednesday! He said he needed more notice, and that thursday morning would be the earliest he could do. The problem here was that pushed things so far back, I could NOT get empty by friday afternoon. I immediately called in, and told my dispatcher about it, and he was NOT happy. He told me I'd be sitting on that load all weekend until it could be unloaded on monday, and a relay was not an option.

Well, I was frustrated about that, but I realized that I should have called on tuesday, so I said fine, and went about it. Friday afternoon, I was held up on my second to last drop, so I had to spend the entire weekend in Plainfield, MA doing NOTHING...bored out of my mind! Here's where I should also mention, I am NOT paid by the mile. I am paid on a salary, and as long as I'm avalilable for work for 11 out of each 14 day period, I get paid the same (I'm in the military program with my company for being a veteran). Well, my dispatcher came on and told me that him and the head of training decided that they were going to mark me in the system as "unavailible" for work for those two days, so they could dock my pay. This is against every company policy about this program there is, and is also illegal due to the reasons my position has to be salary. I nicely told him that it was wrong, and that I was going to have to go above their head, as per Roehl's policies, to the VP of operations to get this resolved. It seemed clear to me that the head of the training division had it out for me, and I was not going to sit there and just take it.

Well, I made a phone call, left a voice mail on his mailbox. Two days later, I got a phone call from the head of training. He and I debated this for about 20 minutes, and the only thing that I said that he really paid attention to was the fact that what he was trying to do was illegal. He told me he'd get back to me.

Well, that afternoon I got a call from him. He started by saying "Well of course I'm willing to pay you, but that doesn't come without consequences..." Long story short, he suspended me from training for 90 days...over being late ONCE... This is rediculousy severe for this company, as they almost NEVER suspend a trainer unless they are constantly late, and have a tough time making deliveries on time. One driver I know was suspended for 30 days for a traffic ticket...so he could do something illegal, and get punished 1/3rd as hard as me, when I was LATE because I did NOT make a phone call on my TIME OFF!!!!! :evil:

Well, obviously, this really rubbed me the wrong way. I stayed professional, like i had through this whole process...never raised my voice, never got upset, never lost my cool...but resolved to take this issue higher. So, I was up in Marshfield that friday, and saw the VP of operations. He started by mentioning something about my military service, as he was in the army many years ago, and we got to talking about what brought me here, and so on. One of the things I mentioned was that i'm a disabled veteran with a fused back, and that that's why I never could do what i wanted to do, which was pull a flatbed. This proved to be a mistake...but anyway, we got through our conversation, and he agreed that it seemed severe for them to suspend me for that long, and that he'd have to discuss the matter with the head of training, and that he would get back to me.

Well, I never did hear back from them, but a few days later, they sent me a load taking me back to the house early...I wasn't due to come home for another few days. When I called and asked about it, I was switched to the training head again, who mentioned my conversation with the VP, and how i mentioned that I had back trouble. He told me they were placing me on a "dispatch hold" until I could get a letter from a doctor listing any restrictions I may have due to my surgery. He said that he would be more than happy to accomodate any restrictions I may have, but that they needed to know what they were right away.

Well, I wasn't happy about it, but these things happen, I told myself, so I went home, got ahold of a VA hospital near where I live, and went in to see what they could do for me. Long story short, I told them I just needed a letter to get back to work, so they typed one up, stating that I could not do repetitive lifting over 25 lbs, until I got in to see a doctor about it, which was in two weeks. They couldn't have me see a doctor right away, so an RN approved the letter for me to get back to work. I didn't think that would be a problem, since I don't do unloading in the division I'm in, and my job has never caused me anything more than minor discomfort with my back.

Well, I sent that in, and was told that I'd have to wait until after Labor day to hear back from them concerning that letter. Yesterday, I got a call from the head of training...and he had someone from HR in his office with him. She got on the phone, starting off by accusing me of falsifying my application and not mentioning this on my DOT physical! She also said that irregardless, they were taking the position that they could not accomodate such a restriction, and that they were going to have to "END MY EMPLOYMENT" with them!!! :x

Well, I made it very clear to her that my application was submitted months before my surgery, as at the time I wasn't going to have it done. I also pointed her to page 2 of my DOT physical, where I wrote in the details about my surgery! My doc had never given me anything in writing about what I could not do beyond my recovery period, thus I never had any real restrictions from a doctor. I told her how I was sent home to get a letter about it, and that's precisely what I did! She mentioned that they could not accomodate a restriction greater than 50 lbs, and that the letter I sent to them would be a problem. This is where I pointed out that it was never signed by a doctor, and how it stated that I was due to see a doctor about it on the 16th of this month.

Well, she called me back, and said that I would be on dispatch hold until I could get a letter from a doctor...which would be in TWO WEEKS! Now, I have bills to pay like everyone else here, and this is really a problem! My back has never caused me problems before with my job...but they are now making a huge issue with it. I really believe that the head of the training department is behind most of my problems here...he seems to have a real problem with me...and I don't understand why...

I've called several different companies so far. I started calling after getting off the phone with the HR lady the first time when I realized they might try and get rid of me. The only one that gave me a positive response was Schneider, as I am interested in pulling a tanker for them. No hand unloading, no lumpers...just hoses! I can do that! I also called Superior Carriers and a few other places that want me to be able to unload.

I don't know what to do! I don't know whether it's worth it to stick it out these couple weeks without pay to get back to Roehl, when it seems that this guy has it out for me! Overall, I like my job, like the company I work for...but I'm concerned that the more I stay and have to fight off these things he wants to do to me, the worse it seems to be getting for me!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Rookie

tom sorry to hear about your deal. you might try marten transport out of mondovi wi i have been there little over a yr and have been pretty happy. they are a reffer co but not all that bad other than some sitting but almost always avg 2500 to 3100 miles a week. if i can help let me know dont want anything just trying to help. good luck
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Board Icon

Do yourself a favor and get away from them. Roehl seemed like a decent outfit a few years ago but anymore I hear more and more horror stories about them doing drivers wrong and stuff.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Best of luck in ironing out your situation Tom. It seems as if you are of limited value to them now and with a solid year of good driving experience, you may be able to find a more appreciative employer.

Granted you will have to disclose your medical history to the next employer (which may or may not affect your hire-ablility) but, that seems like a chance I might take as opposed to waiting for them to terminate you. Take into consideration your DAC also. Would now be a better time for you to land another job elsewhere or in the future will you be at the mercy of a having to explain a subjective DAC report submitted by your current company?

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Having problems...(very long post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
The only one that gave me a positive response was Schneider, as I am interested in pulling a tanker for them. No hand unloading, no lumpers...just hoses! I can do that! I also called Superior Carriers and a few other places that want me to be able to unload.

I don't know what to do! I don't know whether it's worth it to stick it out these couple weeks without pay to get back to Roehl, when it seems that this guy has it out for me! Overall, I like my job, like the company I work for...but I'm concerned that the more I stay and have to fight off these things he wants to do to me, the worse it seems to be getting for me!

Get the information on your back....find out if you really do have any restrictions on lifting. Your going to have a pay lag regardless...so get the information you need to know!

Get a tanker job. If Schneider is will to give you a chance...take it. The work isn't that hard. The hoses could be heavy if you didn't drain one...but really...You simply will not handle that many hoses pulling chemical tank.

Find a gas hauling job. Even with gas in them, they aren't that heavy..and you do not disconnect a gas hose before it is empty...so...draining a gas hose takes about 30 pounds of lift.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Board Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry about writing such a book!

The biggest frustration for me is that for the most part, I don't have very many complaints here...it's just that lately it's been one thing after another...and it all started when I became a trainer....just don't get it!

Giving hard thought to going elsewhere...at this stage, a better offer from another company would probably be enough to get me to leave...we'll see!

Knobs, I called Marten, and they want me to be capable of unloading...and I will not lie about my back problems, either...not worth it!

For the moment, I get to play local driver, though...looks like there's a local company that runs parts up to a honda plant up in Marysville, OH...they need drivers, and have no problems with me driving for them for only a couple weeks while I get my medical stuff ironed out with Roehl...but it's only $13 an hour!!! Oh well...better than the $0 I get sitting at home, I guess....

Aside from schneider...any tank outfits, both local and OTR that will hire me with just under a year experience? :?:
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I had an eerily similar problem to yours awhile back. But the difference between you getting canned and possibly blackballed due to DAC and me still working is the union.

I filed a grievance and the union got me my job back plus back-pay.

That's why we pay union dues. :wink:

No union = they can make up the rules as they go along. And they always will.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM

When you told them what they were doing was illegal, that was the same as saying that you have grounds to sue them and are willing to sue them. Whether or not that was your intent, that's the way they're reading it.

And their claim that you lied on your application is proof that they're looking for a reason to fire you.

My guess is that your days at that company are short numbered.

At least that's the way I see it. I've worked there for 18 months and am ready to move on myself.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Board Regular

Suing them would be an option i would consider in this case. I just hate these companies that threat people like nothing and not even appreciate your service to the country and them. I'm running my national guard commitment and drive over the road ,but the as an independent i call my own shots and miles and dont have to put up with all the BS a company would give me.

Best of luck though and hope things will get better.Don't loose hope!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Board Regular

This keeps getting better and better...

At the moment it looks like the soonest I can get in to see a doctor is the 16th. I may be able to get a sooner appointment, but this is all I have for now.

Because of that, they are coming to get my truck tomorrow! :shock:

Tryin' to get my appointment moved up.....

I've decided that when I do leave, I need to leave on MY terms, not theirs. So, if I can get everything settled, and get moving again, I'll settle into my old routine until something better comes along, I guess....

We'll see.... :?