User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I've had a few offers, but still undecided. Need some input

Well I got laid off from the coal mines in mid april and my unemployment is going to run out soon. I've been putting applications in everywhere but the only offers I've had are from trucking companies.

I know that going to school doesn't mean you are hired but I'm going to have to do something. C1 training school in Indianapolis have been trying to get me to come there. Pay 4 grand up front or 6 grand if I make payments and I have been pre hired by werner.

Swift costs 4 grand no up front cash and they said they would hire me. I'm not sure which is the better choice though. I see about 20 swift trucks for every werner truck I see when I'm on the highway.

If I can get a job that pays 500+ a week after my training I'll be happy for now. It seems that all I read on here are gripes, moans, and complaints about how companies have screwed them. I know how it is because I've served in the military. They make it so pretty on the outside but when you get in you see that hardly anything is what they make it appear to be. I understand that its a love/hate sort of thing. I could care less about lack of sleep, or showers, or even being on the road for weeks at a time. I've also grown up around trucks all my life so its not new to me. The government and economy have seemed to kill the coal industry for now and I don't really see it picking up for a few years.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on what I oughta do? Werner or swift? What should I ask for? Werner said they had a regional dollar store route available in my area. The only thing that scares me is going in debt a few thousand for the training. I have no debt as it is, but it just seems absurd that it costs that much for 3 weeks of showing you how to drive a truck.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Have you used up your GI Bill? If you still have it available to you, apply to a local Tech. or Community College that offers truck driver training.

Also, some of the carriers that are still offering to train drivers have GI Bill backed training programs that you might look at.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayne1 View Post
Well I got laid off from the coal mines in mid april and my unemployment is going to run out soon. I've been putting applications in everywhere but the only offers I've had are from trucking companies.

I know that going to school doesn't mean you are hired but I'm going to have to do something. C1 training school in Indianapolis have been trying to get me to come there. Pay 4 grand up front or 6 grand if I make payments and I have been pre hired by werner.

Swift costs 4 grand no up front cash and they said they would hire me. I'm not sure which is the better choice though. I see about 20 swift trucks for every werner truck I see when I'm on the highway.

If I can get a job that pays 500+ a week after my training I'll be happy for now. It seems that all I read on here are gripes, moans, and complaints about how companies have screwed them. I know how it is because I've served in the military. They make it so pretty on the outside but when you get in you see that hardly anything is what they make it appear to be. I understand that its a love/hate sort of thing. I could care less about lack of sleep, or showers, or even being on the road for weeks at a time. I've also grown up around trucks all my life so its not new to me. The government and economy have seemed to kill the coal industry for now and I don't really see it picking up for a few years.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on what I oughta do? Werner or swift? What should I ask for? Werner said they had a regional dollar store route available in my area. The only thing that scares me is going in debt a few thousand for the training. I have no debt as it is, but it just seems absurd that it costs that much for 3 weeks of showing you how to drive a truck.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I think either company could work for you. I have spoken with several Werner drivers who have been on the Dollar General dedicated account. Most seemed to be happy with the company. Most people that I speak with working for both carriers seem to like them. No company gets as large as these two without doing a lot of things right. While you may hear a lot of whining and complaints about certain companies, most who are happy don't voice their opinions much. To be honest, I don't think there is much difference between any of the major carriers. There are some who don't treat their drivers well, but there are also drivers who don't do their job very well, either. If you are interested in either carrier, I suggest you talk to drivers who currently work for them. If there is a truck stop near you it might help to camp out for a day and just talk to different drivers. Pick their brain. Ask about their company. Most will be candid with you. Most complaints I hear about Swift concerns the governed speed. Once through their training their drivers seem to make decent money. There will always be things you like or dislike about any company. Those who communicate with their dispatchers or driver managers will usually be much happier and do better than those who leave when they don't get their way about something.

You can still earn a living in trucking. Drivers may not be making as much as last year, but the entire economy is off. Things will pick up. If you can get your CDL and find a carrier such as one of those you listed, you can write your own ticket after a year or two. The economy will turn around. If you start now you should have enough experience by this time next year to start earning a higher level of income. I would try to find a state vocational school or community college in your area that offers training. It usually takes a little longer, but will cost considerably less than going to a private driver school.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Salt_19 View Post
Have you used up your GI Bill? If you still have it available to you, apply to a local Tech. or Community College that offers truck driver training.

Also, some of the carriers that are still offering to train drivers have GI Bill backed training programs that you might look at.

DO NOT throw out your GI Bill on some bulls*** apprentice program that allows a company to pay you almost nothing while you squander what could be your only chance at paying for an education.

If you have to use it for a 4-6 week community college driver school, OK. But seeing as how you are unemployed because your industry went to crap, you should qualify for WIA money or some other program to pay for truck driving school.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Rookie

I've not used all of my GI Bill up but a tech school is out of the question. There aren't any within a 150 mile radius of where I live. I've already checked. I also talked to the companies about that and they said I would still have to go through the training just to get hired.

GMAN, I've realized people are twice as quick to voice negative opinions rather than positive ones.

Also, how would I go about asking for a regional route? Do they give those out according to how long you've worked there? Or if you live the closest?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Rookie
Default Werner is full of it!!!!

Hey man, I was lied to by Werner!:thumbsdown: Don't believe when they say that you're pre hired as soon as you get your license, they called me at my home before I had my license and told me that as soon as I had my license, they would hire me, but then when I started school, they changed their mind and said i didn't qualify, even though I have a clean record both driving and criminal, I think is a strategy between the schools and Werner to get people to go to that specific school, i graduated 2 months ago and still don't have a job.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 AM

I worked for Werner and was even a "trainer" there for a short while. It wasn't a horrible place to work. It wasn't the most organized when I was there and the electronic logs were a little annoying. But it's a place to start anyways. It was like any other big company to work for. If they're willing to take you and give you a job and your dead set on doing it then go for it. I doubt there is much said here that will change your mind once it's made.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Thats what I'm afraid of most. Going to school and not being hired afterwards. The debt and no job really wouldn't be the best thing for me.

It seems like the biggest difference between Werner and Swift are the paperless logs and the governed speed. I'm not sure if Werner trucks are governed as well.

What about the number of trucks on the road I seen? Is it just the area I live in or does swift get alot more work than werner?n You kind of have to read around and sift through all the negative stories I've heard, but it seems like former swift employees are generally happier and say less negative things than werner drivers.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you been educated as to what the hiring process is like in truck driving? Just because you are invited to orientation does not mean you have been hired, it only means you have been invited to a 2+ day interview. There is no guarantee of a job, anywhere, especially now.

WIA is a definite option, but, just because you would like to be trained as a truck driver does not necessarily mean that they will automatically do that. If you are already unemployed and receiving UI benefits, check into / apply NOW the process is a long one. Have you checked into an extension of benefits?

I have driven for both Werner and Swift. Personally I cannot really recommend either of them. The lesser of the two evils is Swift. There are plenty of threads on here about both.

They both have governed trucks Werner at 65, Swift at 62.

It's rather hard to give somebody financial advice without asking a lot of questions, and this is what it boils down to. You will have to look at how much money you have now, how much money you will bring in while in training and afterwards ( a bit of advice take the bottom number on what people say they make ). Then compare this to how much money you will spend out now, during training and afterwards. Do this for each of the options and see what is best for you.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Board Regular

I have driven for both Werner and Swift. Personally I cannot really recommend either of them. The lesser of the two evils is Swift. [/QUOTE]
i just went to the swift school and let em take 25$ out of my check. made damn sure to have no wrecks. after a year you probably wanna drive a coal truck or something where you gotta life.
i quit the swift after 2 1/2 years and go home evry day