User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much training is enough?

After reading this thread I thought I would ask. How long should a trainee be with a trainer before they can be left alone?

I'm a new driver, only been solo for about 8 months now. After getting my licence I was hired by the company I am now driving for. My training consisted of two weeks with an 'evauluator'. During those two weeks I drove 95% of the time and my evaluator was in the passenger seat at all times while I was in control of the vehicle.

This is standard for this company when taking on a driver with no experience. If after two weeks they aren't confident in your abilities you will likely be let go. They may go one more week if they think your driving is fine but you're having troubles picking up the qualcomm, paper work or the like but that's it.

Personally I think this is a great way of doing it. A couple of weeks is more than enough time to judge if a person will able to handle a truck and make the proper decision when unsure of a situation. They cut a lot of people loose after the first week and only stick with ones they are confident in. The company has a very good safety record.

In my short time out here I have had no incidents or tickets. I have made a couple of wrong turns and could have benefitted from more time with a mentor/trainer/evaulator or whatever you call them but I was more than ready to get rid of the evaluator after two weeks.

I figure the only way to truly learn a lot of things is by doing but I know many would disagree. I have read many times on this site and others that training needs to be longer and more thorough. My thought is that is just needs to be more selective. If you're not confident in a persons abilities after a couple of weeks on the road then they probably shouldn't be in control of a big truck. You can't teach common sense, ability to focus, dealing with stress calmly etc.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Last edited by tinytim; 11-08-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Senior Board Member

There is not a universal amount of time on how long someone needs in training. It really depends on the student, the trainer, and the overall situation, though IMHO 2 weeks is not enough OTJ training even running 3000+ miles per week with the student doing 100% of the driving.

For the most part driving the truck down the road is the easy portion of the job. It is the warehouses, truck stops, rest areas, that get tricky and where students need the most training at and it is where the most accidents happen at.

As far as I am concerned 5-6 weeks of real training is the min. I say real training where the student handles everything with the trainer awake and with the student at all times guiding and teaching and the truck is run as a solo operation the entire time.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Just doing a little arithmetic. You've been driving for 8 months, now. This is the 11th month. Don't know where you drive, but how much have you been taught about inclemment weather? Black ice? Wet, hard-packed snow? freezing rain or freezing fog? More than one person has been on this board after finding a sudden patch of ice and having lost control, then rolled the truck and lost his job. There are only two ways you will learn to survive these conditions. From a trainer, or by yourself. And, a substantial percentage of drivers that have learned about them by themselves are no longer driving. How much more training do you need?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 PM

I started driving school last November. By the time I finished those 5 weeks we had a good amount of snow here. I took the class at that time partly because I wanted to get some experience with a big truck in winter conditions with someone at my side. It was January when I was out with the 'evaluator' and early February when I got out solo so I guess it's closer to 9 months now.

Living in the great white north (Canada) winter driving is not new to me. That is a great point though as I know there are many drivers who may never experience snow/ice until they are in a big truck.

How much more training do I need? Well, I don't think there is such a thing as too much training. I do believe though, that no matter how much training a person has it won't change certain traits.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised after a number of years behind the wheel if my opinion changed on two weeks. It doesn't seem very long. But again, some things can't be taught and some things you can only learn on your own.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
After reading this thread I thought I would ask. How long should a trainee be with a trainer before they can be left alone?

I'm a new driver, only been solo for about 8 months now. After getting my licence I was hired by the company I am now driving for. My training consisted of two weeks with an 'evauluator'. During those two weeks I drove 95% of the time and my evaluator was in the passenger seat at all times while I was in control of the vehicle.

This is standard for this company when taking on a driver with no experience. If after two weeks they aren't confident in your abilities you will likely be let go. They may go one more week if they think your driving is fine but you're having troubles picking up the qualcomm, paper work or the like but that's it.

Personally I think this is a great way of doing it. A couple of weeks is more than enough time to judge if a person will able to handle a truck and make the proper decision when unsure of a situation. They cut a lot of people loose after the first week and only stick with ones they are confident in. The company has a very good safety record.

In my short time out here I have had no incidents or tickets. I have made a couple of wrong turns and could have benefitted from more time with a mentor/trainer/evaulator or whatever you call them but I was more than ready to get rid of the evaluator after two weeks.

I figure the only way to truly learn a lot of things is by doing but I know many would disagree. I have read many times on this site and others that training needs to be longer and more thorough. My thought is that is just needs to be more selective. If you're not confident in a persons abilities after a couple of weeks on the road then they probably shouldn't be in control of a big truck. You can't teach common sense, ability to focus, dealing with stress calmly etc.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Ok...You have been solo for 7 or 8 months. After the two weeks you had your "evaluator" riding with you, when was the first time, after the evaluator turned you loose, that you swore under your breath and said "Crap...I wish I had been taught more!" ?

From the time that your evaluator turned you loose up to that point...you probably should have still been in training.

Of course...maybe you have never done such a thing. :bow::bow:
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Noone would ever get out of training if that was the case. I don't care how much trainig a person has, they are going to learn things in their first week on their own they could have been taught. Hopefully they will continue to learn things continuously after that.

The longer you're out with a trainer the more situations you will encounter but you'll never encounter them all. I would be willing to bet that many bad mistakes happen very soon after a driver is left alone regardless of how much time they have with a trainer. Two weeks may not be long enough but I guess my point is that the emphasis seems to be on the wrong things. If a person is panicky, doesn't pay attention, is scared to ask questions, is too proud to G.O.A.L., likes to be able to read the bumper sticker on the car in front of them, forgets there's a long trailer back there when turning, has temper tantrums when other drivers do something they think is stupid etc. then no amount of training will be enough.

If the companies focused more on training the trainer on what to look for and cut people loose early who will never get it they would save a fortune in insurance claims and in training costs which would allow them to pay the driver more which would in turn attract more capable people to drive for them and would cut down on turn over which would reduce more training costs even more. I'm sure others could word that much better than I did but I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

When I first started after completing a reputable driving school my company put me in a truck with a trainer for 6 weeks. The first two weeks the trainee was not allowed to drive after dark and my trainer did not run as a training truck. After I was done i still had a few questions now and then but I got 6 good weeks of running every terrain and weather condition. depends on the person. I had driven trucks in the miltary some people have never been in a truck. The training programs we have in this industry do need some change but we all have to work together to get it done
Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Tiny...How long after going "Solo" was it before you made your first mistake, which could have been bad...but wasn't?

Did you wish at that point that your training period had been longer?

I said on that other thread, that I have 30 years driving. In those years...I could not tell you the numbers of times I "wished" I had had more training..or better training..but there were many of those times.

When I have doubts....I have always stopped. That started on day one.

Even now..If I am not sure of something, I stop the truck. Whether it is turning a corner on a city street, backing into a parking slot at a truckstop..or inside a chemical plant backing into a loading rack.
I have made more than one "Motorist" mad for getting out and taking that look. There have been times that "taking that look" saved my ass.

Is it the training I received at the start...or is it simply my own self doubt at play?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Board Icon

A couple of years ago, a new driver with Swift, with a number of months under his belt was on his way home to TX in Dec. A little north of Amarillo, he hit freezing fog and lost it. The truck rolled over and he was terminated. Never mind the fact that there must have been hundreds of other trucks that went off the road that day (and evening), he still lost his job. I was on I-40 that day, and I counted some 30 trucks off the road, jackknifed, and rolled in a 45 mile stretch of the hiway. Drivers were stopping to chain up to run flat roads. I was loaded light and had no trouble at all. No, I was not foolish enough to run 70 mph, but I didn't spin my wheels or slide anywhere.

Golfhobo was there too, that day. He came from the east, and said it was "PUCKERING".

Now, the question to you is...
Would you like to have us give you a share of our knowledge?
Or would you like to risk your job learning it on your own? Maybe even your life?

You see, that's what the trainer is "supposed" to do. Share his knowledge of actual applications so that you can survive situations. If you are prepared to survive the worst, you should have no problem with lessor situations, as long as you have been taught how to recognize them, and respect them for what they are.

In your area, a snow covered road with a temp of 10 degrees F has far more traction than the same snow in KY with a temp of 29 degrees F.

At one time, there was a guy on this board called, "ROCKYMOUNTAINPRODRIVER". Wish he was still around. He had a great deal of very good information. He was also a driver trainer in Canada.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:27 AM

1 day with a few drops and picks in a 53 in brooklyn should get your skills dialed in