User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I have NEVER driven drunk. Yes, I have driven after drinking, but I would NEVER have blown a .08.

18 or 19? Adult. One DWI might be looked at as a mistake; a terrible lapse in judgement. TWO DWIs means you are just stupid and irresponsible.

-p.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Are there any companies that will hire a guy with 2 DWI'

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr

regardless- Dick Cheney has two DWIs. Bush has one. Yeah those guys aren't qualified to drive a CMV. Just you know... Get elected to RUN the executive branch of the only "superpower" in the world
For Freaking REAL.

eddie23949 best of luck.
Now THERE'S an idea, Eddie!!

Forget about trucking, and sign on as John McCain's running mate!!

Better hours, better pay, and who knows??

Some day, you might have an elementary school or a land fill named after you!!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Disregard!!

Post was deleted by Useless in the interest of good taste!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Come on...give the guy a break...
For multiple DUI's? Um, no. You can overcome a mistake like Matcat had in the fog. Might take a couple years, but you can eventually get past that. You cannot get past DUI's and drug offenses. They will haunt you forever and rightfully so.

Quote:
And for all you "stone throwers" know he [size] coulda [size=18] been 18 and 19 when convicted. And that is significabt.
Actually, no it's not. It still shows irresponsibility and still puts 4 aces in the pocket of a prosecuting attorney should the driver ever be involved in a CMV accident while under the influence. Right or wrong, that is the way it is and always will be. Companies are not going to bank the survivability of their company on a driver with multiple DUI's.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, it's already been summed up, but anyhow..

The people hiring you.. they're not coming to watch the big game at your place on Sunday. They're not inviting you to a barbecue at their house. They're not going to get to know you on a personal level. They're going to make their determination whether or not to hire you based solely on what their checks turn up.
Put yourself in their shoes. Let's say you're a bank manager, and there's a prospective new employee. Let's say this prospective employee served time for bank robbery. Would you hire them?
So it goes with driving. You're a fleet owner, and, as such, you carry the burden of liability. So a prospective new driver comes up to you, looking for a job. You don't know this guy. All you know about him is that he has two DUIs on his record. Do you hire him?
And all these people saying you could work for an 'outlaw' company - don't let them get your hopes up. First off, even outlaw companies have to have insurance for their drivers. What are the insurance rates on your own personal vehicle with the two DUIs on your record? What would they be if you didn't have them on your record? Now, factor in the liability issue. Enough said.
EVEN IF you found a company willing to overlook the DUIs on your records, you still hit another brick wall. Yes, there might be such an outlaw company as described out there. BUT, you have one thing going against you which they're not likely to overlook - you lack experience, being fresh out driving school. Such companies still want people who know how to drive. Now I'm sure we all thought at one point that graduating from driving school meant that we knew how to drive. We also found out that it didn't.
What it really boils down to is simply poor foresight on your part. You knew beforehand that you had this monkey on your back long before you took the CDL course. Didn't it ever occur to you to ask questions? After all, you did manage to find your way to this forum after the fact, so don't you think you would've fared better to do so before you took the plunge?
I don't know what else to tell you. Habla Espanol? Maybe you could find a driving job in Mexico? Or perhaps you could find a non-driving job with a trucking company. I know I encountered my fair share of "drivers-turned-dispatchers" who hadn't driven a single day outside of driving school.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Central Transport has immediate openings for CDL-A holders with at least 6 months experience, and both hazmat and doubles endorsements. **Note, applicants with DUI/DWI's will not be considered**
Old 08-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
And for all you "stone throwers" know he [size] coulda [size=18] been 18 and 19 when convicted. And that is significabt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Actually, no it's not. It still shows irresponsibility and still puts 4 aces in the pocket of a prosecuting attorney should the driver ever be involved in a CMV accident while under the influence. Right or wrong, that is the way it is and always will be. Companies are not going to bank the survivability of their company on a driver with multiple DUI's.

I get what your saying. At best it does show irresponsibility. Anybody that gets in an accident or just driving a CMV under the influence, gives the whole card deck to the prosecutor. Rightfully so.

And I understand why an extremely competitive industry based on volume with an ever so thin profit margin wouldn't take exceptions to its standards.

But eddie comes on here with glaring mistakes that he takes ownership of, and what happens. He gets hammered on. Sad.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think he got slammed. Nobody was trying to flame the guy, they were just stating harsh facts of the matter. The guy who had the fatality accident got it much worse.
I don't know what more you're expecting. I feel bad for the guy, but I can't leap through time and take his keys away from him before he made the decision to drive drunk.
Let's say you're headed across the turnpike in Ohio, and you're getting ready to pass a set of A triple wiggle wagons. Now, those things are awkward enough (and, for the life of me, I'll never understand the general refusal in this country to accept and adopt the much more stable B-trains a C-dollys). Wouldn't you prefer to be assured that the driver pulling those things is at the top of their game, isn't impaired by drugs or alcohol, and doesn't have a history of such? Whether it's LCVs or normal sized trucks, I know damn well I'd like to have such assurance, anyhow.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Are there any companies that will hire a guy with 2 DWI'

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie23949
I recently graduated from a driving school and have a class A license. Now, I'm looking for a job.

Problem is that I've made some mistakes in the past and I have two DIW's on my record. One is eight years old; the other is seven. All of that was in another life and I no longer drink.

Does anyone know of any companies that will hire a recent grad with a record like mine? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How goes your search? I suggest searching high and low, you might even be able to find decent choices. (comparative to the industry, not to a sense of decency).

As far as the should, coulda, woulda routine about checking the effect of your record before entering driving school. Whatever.

And for all you "stone throwers" know he [size=6][size] coulda been 18 and 19 when convicted. And that is significabt.

regardless- Dick Cheney has two DWIs. Bush has one. Yeah those guys aren't qualified to drive a CMV. Just you know... Get elected to RUN the executive branch of the only "superpower" in the world
For Freaking REAL.

eddie23949 best of luck.

Well....I had no hand in that problem....and we are in worse shape than I predicted to friends back in 2000.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuzzyGnu
An excerpt from a possible future news report:

"Accident . . . truck driver at fault . . . 4-year old killed . . . parents injured . . . driver has two DWI convictions . . . lawsuit . . ."

-p.
I don't think the LEAD for that story would be so gental. More like; "One dead, after collision with truck. DRIVER has two DWI convicitions on record!"

"AP Kelso OH; Four year old Johnny Zumwalt was killed late yesterday afternoon, after the SUV he was riding in was crushed by an 18-wheeler semi-truck, driven by a 28 year old man, from Kimpoo PA. The driver of the truck, 28 year old Darryl Nobody, was unavailable for comment, but police at the scene inform us that Mr. Nobody did not appear impaired, before being removed from the scene to seek medical attention. They will however be following up on that.

At the scene of this horrific accident, the SUV little Johnny was riding in, belted safely into the back seat, is a mangled mess of steel and rubber. Barely visible under the front bumper of the massive truck, firefighters worked franticly for hours freeing Johnny's parents, John Zumwalt SR., his father, as well as Sarah Zumwalt, his 25 year old mother, whom has severe facial injuries, and is quite traumatized by the death of young son.

A records check by police at the scene, reveals that the driver of this 18 wheeler semi-truck, has had his commercial license for one year and two weeks, and that there is a record showing that Mr. Nobody has been convicted on two separate occasions for "Driving While Intoxicated"!!!

One on-looker at the scene commented to this reporter, "This is something that has become all to common in our society, said 58 year old JoAnne Ziggler. Truck drivers are allowed, all too often, to continue driving these destructive machines, even though they have been proven to be alcoholics. This POOR innocent little boy has been ripped from his parents arms, by a person with no regard for others lives!!! Something should be done about these bad truck drivers, Ms Ziggler stated. Many others around her concurred.

Stephanie Letterhead, reporting from the scene of this horrific accident."

That's pretty much how most reporters tell the story, when a driver has DWI's in the background of their record.

Try and keep that away from a jury pool.