Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt
Try this one

[url]http://www.truckers-insurance.com/[url]

Talk to Doug
I spoke with Patricia, she said under two years no.

I'm giving up looking. :lol: Everyone I have have spoke with has said no to under two years experience. I suppose that is the reason most companies want 2 years experience before they'll hire a driver.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Did you go to a CDL school??

A friend of mine bought a truck and trailer while we were still in school and he had no problem getting insurance with no mile restrictions from the last place I gave you.

I drove with him for 3 months and they had no problem adding me to his insurance with no experience. He paid around $900 a month.

After 3 months I bought my own truck and got insurance from Northland through the first place I posted.

Call back and ask for Doug.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt
Did you go to a CDL school??

A friend of mine bought a truck and trailer while we were still in school and he had no problem getting insurance with no mile restrictions from the last place I gave you.

I drove with him for 3 months and they had no problem adding me to his insurance with no experience. He paid around $900 a month.

After 3 months I bought my own truck and got insurance from Northland through the first place I posted.

Call back and ask for Doug.
I didn't go to a school. I got the manual and took all the tests the next day and passed. Got my hazmat done. Then waited about a year and a half until my dad got his truck and went down and took the test which I passed on my first try. I was able to practice backing a few times at a local truck yard where I work. I'll tell you a spread axle is a lot harder to back than a pup or 53' van. Plus, the longwheel base makes it harder I had only backed with city tractors before.

My father did go to a school, but not sure if they were accredited with anyone. It only lasted a couple of weeks and only taught him how to pass the DMV test.

I tried Doug, but he is out of the office until August 12. I'll try him when he gets back.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Rookie
Default Owner Operator No Experience Insurance

I know this post is really old, but maybe someone has new information about insurance. I am getting ready to go to CDL school and would like to start a business right away. Can I get insurance right out of school that is affordable (under $1200 month)? I am 50 with spotless driving record and no criminal record.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplet Dad View Post
I know this post is really old, but maybe someone has new information about insurance. I am getting ready to go to CDL school and would like to start a business right away. Can I get insurance right out of school that is affordable (under $1200 month)? I am 50 with spotless driving record and no criminal record.
Learn what to and not to do on someone else's dime, in other words get your CDL thru a school and then work for one of the larger training companies for a year or so then think of buying a truck! There is so much wrong with your plan, here's a few examples.

1st, CDL school only teaches you enough to get your CDL that's it no more!
2nd Chances are you will never even back into a parking spot or bump a dock in school, do you really think you could successfully back into a tight spot between to other trucks with "hoods"?
3rd. do have any idea of DOT and FMCSA regs?
4th trip planning, ever plan a trip with 2 or three stops and be on time for each? On time means ON TIME!
5 another trip planning issue, are planning on using a GPS? If so that's fine BUT still you need to know how to read a map, if not be prepared to buy a bridge!
6 have you ever driven thru Chicago during rush hour? Try it with a 53' trailer and absolutely NO experience and no one to help offer encouragement.
7. Any idea how fuel cards showers, cash advances while on the road work?

I haven't even touched on how to find loads, when and how to get paid, breakdowns and preventive maintance. If you've never driven a truck let alone run a truck /business before you really have no idea of how much you don't know! Think it over.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks for your reply and good advice Repete. I guess I want to get started with my own business right away because I am 50 and really tired of working for other people.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplet Dad View Post
Thanks for your reply and good advice Repete. I guess I want to get started with my own business right away because I am 50 and really tired of working for other people.
I completely understand, I'm 60 and have gone down the self employed road and I can tell you it's not all that its cracked up to be ! At this point in time you probably don't even know if you'd like driving a truck. It's good to dream and even better to have goals and ambition just as long as your firmly anchored in reality.
My advice (even though you haven't asked) would be to go to a certified school in your area and obtain your CDL, while in that school apply to several companies and get a few pre-hire letters. Then when you graduate be prepared to go with the top company on your list, they will want you to go thru a few days of orientation and then go out with a driver trainer for somewhere between 3-6 weeks (average, maybe more) in that time that's where you really learn what's involved in trucking.
Good luck and any questions just ask.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-15-2017, 01:42 AM
Rookie
Default Schools?

Would you suggest getting my CDL from a private trucking school or technical college? Which option would get me a better job?
Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Have you looked into OOIDA ?
Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Rookie

I haven't but I will. Was asking about school options because I live in Georgia and there is almost free tuition for CDL at local Tech Schools. I would go to private CDL school if there was more job options, but if it doesn't matter if would go the almost free route.