User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Frustrated

Well it has been 4 months since Swift let me go over that accident, I have spent that entire time attempting to get back on the road, but to no avail, and unfortunately I have moved to an area of the country with pretty much no available local companies. I am about at the point where I am ready to give up my search, now when I see a truck I just feel sick to my stomach. I know a lot of you out there both feel I shouldn't be on the road, or feel I deserve a second chance. Whatever side of the fence you stand, I appreciate all of the input I have heard. If it takes me 3 years before I can get hired again, so be it, weather I am flipping burgers or programming websites, I will be looking forward to that day I can get back in the seat.

Honestly, I have no regrets, I learned a lot of valuable things, what to do, and what not to do. That day I do get back in the seat, all of my experiences will only serve to make me a better and safer driver. But until then, I will be doing something, and more then likely will spend most of that time thinking about that day I will be on the road again.

It is a lifestyle, a lifestyle I found I enjoy above all else. Not the BBR or CSWH (Coolie Steering Wheel Holder) lifestyle, but the trucker lifestyle, living on the road, and running our great country by keeping its commodities available.

So now I will spend my time making the best of it, for one day I will ride again.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I will give you some advice, DON'T GIVE UP! Something will come your way, you have to be willing to find it. It won't come to you! Take it from me. I just turned 18 and my dream is to drive a truck. I been turned down by alot of companies cause they wanted experience, me to be 21, or needed an actual CDL and wouldn't provide a truck for the road test. But I finally found a company that hires at 18 with no experience and will provide a truck for the road test. I found them by looking online and I decided to call them expecting to get turned down but I didn't so now it's a matter of waiting for them to call me back and request an interview.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Rookie
Default Have you considered these last 3 options?

Next to last option, Apply to Prime Inc at www.Primeinc.com because they have a terminal located at Pittston Pa. Since you are on this message board, you do know NOT to go lease purchase. Right?
Last choice is a tie between J.P. Mascaro the trash pickup/hauler and flipping burgers. Either not driving or driving locally for more than 6 months or more, will mean that you will have to either take a refresher course or retake the full school program to qualify to go back OTR(over the road). I know that this blows chunks but that is the way the trucking industry game is played. :?
Mascaro has a terminal in Nanticote Pa. From a very reliable source, I hear Mascaro has low pay, lousy equipment and some of the single dumbest [bleep] that can walk on 2 feet with or without dragging their knuckles on the ground. Turn over is equavalent to Swift. If you are extremely lucky, you can get a position driving a tractor trailer. It is much more likely that you will be driving a trash truck locally that has a push button automatic. The only semi-bright spots are that you will work enough hours to qualify for enrollment in the benefits package but you will have a payroll deduction. The second semi-bright spot is that you will most likey experience, first hand, equipment breakdowns and that experience may be of benefit to you in later years.
Tied for last place is flipping burgers. You probably will not work enough hours to qualify for any benefits. And you already guessed that the pay really [expletive deleted].
It ain't much but that is the best I can come up with for you. Sorry, I could not do better. The accident and your location of Wilkes Barre make it quite difficult for me to do any better. At least I gave it a try. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Have you considered these last 3 options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcis2
Next to last option, Apply to Prime Inc at www.Primeinc.com because they have a terminal located at Pittston Pa. Since you are on this message board, you do know NOT to go lease purchase. Right?
Last choice is a tie between J.P. Mascaro the trash pickup/hauler and flipping burgers. Either not driving or driving locally for more than 6 months or more, will mean that you will have to either take a refresher course or retake the full school program to qualify to go back OTR(over the road). I know that this blows chunks but that is the way the trucking industry game is played. :?
Mascaro has a terminal in Nanticote Pa. From a very reliable source, I hear Mascaro has low pay, lousy equipment and some of the single dumbest [bleep] that can walk on 2 feet with or without dragging their knuckles on the ground. Turn over is equavalent to Swift. If you are extremely lucky, you can get a position driving a tractor trailer. It is much more likely that you will be driving a trash truck locally that has a push button automatic. The only semi-bright spots are that you will work enough hours to qualify for enrollment in the benefits package but you will have a payroll deduction. The second semi-bright spot is that you will most likey experience, first hand, equipment breakdowns and that experience may be of benefit to you in later years.
Tied for last place is flipping burgers. You probably will not work enough hours to qualify for any benefits. And you already guessed that the pay really [expletive deleted].
It ain't much but that is the best I can come up with for you. Sorry, I could not do better. The accident and your location of Wilkes Barre make it quite difficult for me to do any better. At least I gave it a try. Good luck.
Actually I moved to Sumter, SC, not in WB anymore.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Board Regular

This may, or may not be a good idea based on how well you know how to run a business.....

But, as g-man keeps saying, if you have a problem with the companies out there, why don't you buy a truck, get your own authority, and run that way? See how low you can get insurance premiums and look into something like that?

Now, I know you didn't have as much experience as is generally recommended for such a bold move, but if you know how to manage money and run a business...it could be done...

Just an idea! :wink:
Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
This may, or may not be a good idea based on how well you know how to run a business.....

But, as g-man keeps saying, if you have a problem with the companies out there, why don't you buy a truck, get your own authority, and run that way? See how low you can get insurance premiums and look into something like that?

Now, I know you didn't have as much experience as is generally recommended for such a bold move, but if you know how to manage money and run a business...it could be done...

Just an idea! :wink:
Ohh I know how to run a business, however I don't have the capitol to buy a truck let alone getting it all setup.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Board Regular

Yeah, I figured for 99% of drivers in your situation that wouldn't be the best choice, but I figured it hadn't been mentioned before.

What happened to that car hauling gig you were lining up?

I have to admit, you really taught me a lot Until I read what you were going through, it never hit me how easy it is to lose it all out here. All things considered, I believe you were lucky that nobody was hurt. But it got me thinking...how would I have handled that situation...what if it were me driving the truck, and a minivan full of kids in front of me in fog...

Definitely made me look at fog in a completely different way...so for what it's worth...thanks ops:
Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Well it was supposed to go down, but the o/o decided to give me a bunch of song and dances.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah it taught me a lot too, before that I never truly realized just how bad your visibility is effected by fog. I know now, but it's too late. All it takes is a mistake that results in a certain type of incident, and your chances are virtually destroyed of staying on the iron horse. I completely understand why insurance companies look at it like they do, to them it is a major risk, but at the same time they could look at it as a newbie mistake that is easily learned from, instead of black balling you for it.

I've been looking at various load boards, and there is profit to be made under your own authority, but the money required to get going is just too much, especially when you have nothing. Sure you can get a descent truck pretty cheap right now, but once you factor in the costs of insurance, registration, getting your mc #, atleast a month of operating costs for fuel etc, it is a lot of money. Could probably be done for $50k, if you are careful, but that is $50k more then I have.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Why not try and become a broker? Then maybe you will get some connections??

Adapt and overcome.