User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Close Encounters of the 4-Wheeler Kind

Remember when you first started going solo in your big rig and a 4-wheeler almost gave you a heart attack by doing something mentally dull? :shock:

What are some of your memories of stupid 4-wheeler tricks?

Or, how did a 4-wheeler make your heart thump a bit quicker today?

- - -

Somebody's Grandma nearly did me in today. She was merging onto the Interstate (I-43 just north of the new interchange construction in Milwaukee) and just...kept...going...the...same...speed...which.. .was...slow. I was in the right lane and began slowing down well before a potential ugly incident, but I kept expecting her to speed up. She didn't. And no turn signal.

After a while, I was able to get around her and she was looking straight ahead, seemingly oblivious to traffic around her. I think she managed to get her vehicle up to 40MPH by the time I passed her.

Be on the lookout for slow-moving grannies (as well as grandpas!)
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You know that nice little yellow diamond sign you see waving in the back window of a 4-wheeler? The one they NEED to put on the DASH? CAUTION - BABY ON BOARD

L. A. Freeway that's 4 lanes wide. I'm in the second lane from the right, and a Honda Prelude comes over from the far left lane to get the exit... But gets cut off by a car passing on my right... The Honda hits the brakes right in front of me, lets the car by and gasses on it onto the exit. Little yellow sign waving like mad... Two infant seats in the back seat and both occupied...

When I got to a truck stop, I looked to see if she wiped any of the dirt off my bumper with hers.... A fresh little streak about 6 inches long, near the bottom middle... But, she made the exit and I'll bet she had no idea we touched. I had barely gotten my foot on the brake and it was over.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Coming across the Ohio turnpike one afternoon in a horrible rainstorm. I was only doing 50-55mph because of it.

As I approached an entrance ramp, I saw a pickup coming on. I couldn't change lanes, so I just kept going the same speed. So did he. Not once did he look over (my wife was in the passenger seat looking at him), no blinkers, no accelerating - nothing. He just kept merging.

I finally had to stand on the brakes to miss him. As he got on the interstate in front of me, he flipped me off for not letting him over sooner.

Idiots...
Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Coming across the Ohio turnpike one afternoon in a horrible rainstorm. I was only doing 50-55mph because of it.

As I approached an entrance ramp, I saw a pickup coming on. I couldn't change lanes, so I just kept going the same speed. So did he. Not once did he look over (my wife was in the passenger seat looking at him), no blinkers, no accelerating - nothing. He just kept merging.

I finally had to stand on the brakes to miss him. As he got on the interstate in front of me, he flipped me off for not letting him over sooner.

Idiots...
You have no idea how many times I've thought...
Logbook is current and I have hours to run...
He's the one that's crossing the line...

Then I chicken out. :shock:

Old 06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Board Regular

Stupid 4 wheeler tricks are expected.
Trucks scare the crap out of me sometimes.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
You know that nice little yellow diamond sign you see waving in the back window of a 4-wheeler? The one they NEED to put on the DASH? CAUTION - BABY ON BOARD
That really gets me too Wind. It's a wonder you don't need an IQ test before pro-creating with some of these fools.

Mal, I'm the same way with the cars all the time, I hold my ground and speed at the ramps if they are coming on slow. If it's a truck I do my best to get on by or drop off and leave a hole if I can't get over. Car flips me off, who cares right? I just laugh and shake my head.

I had an SUV nearly merge over into my trailer one day. Had a pilot car in front and rear and as I passed the SUV with the truck they started drifting over. Pilot behind me got on the CB and started giving me the play by play when he saw it drifting. I had another that started to chop me off so I gave a quick burst on the horn and she pulled away then tried to force the issue again so I gave another quick tug on the horn and she again pulled back away from me. She proceeded to then flip me off out her window and hit the brakes to get behind me. :roll:
Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Default AM I RIGHT???

There is one thing that we all can relate to with 4-WHEELERS.
SITUATION:
You're driving in your lane and suddenly with no signal or anything a 4-WHEELER cuts you off.
Next, after they cut you off they wave to you for letting them cut you off. In their mind, "that was nice of that truck driver to let me over." In our minds, "Idiot, you just cut me off and brake checked me."
Old 06-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
L. A. Freeway that's 4 lanes wide. I'm in the second lane from the right, and a Honda Prelude comes over from the far left lane to get the exit... But gets cut off by a car passing on my right... The Honda hits the brakes right in front of me, lets the car by and gasses on it onto the exit. Little yellow sign waving like mad... Two infant seats in the back seat and both occupied...
I learned to drive (a car) on the L.A. Freeway.... but that was 35 years ago! This is to be expected at ALL times! It is the law out there that everyone in the far left lane MUST cross traffic to get off the NEXT exit.... and everyone getting ON in the granny lane MUST move to the far left lane so they can speed up before crossing back over to get off the NEXT exit! :lol:

You basically have TWO choices..... either TAILGATE the vehicle in front of you so as NOT to leave space for this (and that IS the purpose of that space, ya know..) OR.... stay well back and just watch the circus! Always keep one eye on each side mirror at the same time! They will come from BOTH sides and usually want the same "space" at the same time!

It is not their fault if they cut you off. YOU are supposed to know the rules! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86

Idiots...
You have no idea how many times I've thought...
Logbook is current and I have hours to run...
He's the one that's crossing the line...

Quote:
Then I chicken out. :shock:
NO, then you use your head and act like the professional you are. ( even though it hurts)
Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Board Icon

So wait Fredog, even though holding your ground is perfectly legal we are supposed to be nice(professional) and let them in when they are trying to drive into our fuel tank because they are too stupid to speed on up and go? Are you trying to insinuate that if a car merges right over into the side of you, not cutting across your bumper but into the side of you from the steer tire back your weren't being professional enough? If they are trying to cut across your bumper then it's a different story but not when they are driving into the side of you.

If you get in front of me then you stand a better chance of me letting you over vs sitting at my door. Sitting at my door doesn't tell me a thing about what you are attempting to do. That's not being unprofessional, I'm holding what I got and letting them make the decision, speed up or drop in behind me.