User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
My drivers don't work for free. I pay a percentage of everything the truck makes except the fuel surcharge
So how much does the truck make sitting in a loading dock?

So, one driver hit the jackpot and made $1400 last week, how many hours did he work to get that? I know you pay percentage, but did the guy do it in 40- 50 hours? Or was it more like 100? Big difference there sport. You don't pay on a 1099 by chance, do you?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I didn't ask him how many hours he worked and I haven't received his logs as yet. What difference does it make? He is making good money and is running legal as far as I know. Most of the drivers I have had over the years consistently average a decent paycheck. I don't usually push my drivers. They pretty much work at their own pace. I don't like waiting, but it is part of this business. If you can't deal with it then you need to find something else to do. There are always things people don't like about their jobs. I don't care if you make minimum wage or $100 million dollars. There are always things people don't like about their jobs. You just find a job where you can deal with the positives as well as the negatives and go from there. Perhaps you are too worried about the little things. If you do your job well the money will come.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

I think what Gman is saying is right, if you work by the mile or % you are a hussler and a worker and can make money ! You have the chance to make big $$$s or little $$$s, up to you. If you work by the hour or week you are just sliding with what the boss is willing to give you, and you will accept. That $1000 load (pay check) you you hauled last week might have been a $2000 load (pay check) if you were on %.
Fixed wages will never make you rich, or even comfortable. Have to go out there and make it happen.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Board Regular

Sounds like migrant worker pay to me. The more veggies you pick the more you make. If there aren't any ready, or you have to wait for things beyond your control, then you get squat and it doesn't cost the boss anything. I thought sweat shops were a thing of the past, I guess not.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Board Regular

In with the subject of demanding this and that I have to agree. Jobs are harder to get now, and for me even harder trying to get back out to work.

I personally do not make demands, least I do not think I do. I can careless for Pete's anyway. Seems every Company I drove a Pete for, I did not make money with anyway, so I have a mental block against them. When asked where I like to drive or willing to drive, I always put it I prefer, but will go where sent. As for home time, When asked, just get me through the house once a month, Now I have to get a B12 shot once a month, so my body will make the Blood it needs to run.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Rookie

That's funny, Gman. The difference it makes is if the guy worked even the legal amount of hours with no log book shenanigans at all, it took him 70 hours to make the $1400. I doubt it was a true 70 as you had to throw in the disclaimer that he runs legal "as far as I know", which means he turns in legal logs and that is all you care about. My question is, does he make that every week, or is it a once in a while thing?
I can make the same money in a 50 hour week on the clock, working local, getting paid for every minute I am working, whether the wheels are turning or I am waiting. Why should I sit for free because of someone else's bad planning as you expect your drivers to do?

Walking Eagle, while you think there is more incentive to work harder when you get paid percentage, I think it is my job to work hard no matter how I get paid. When I did work for percentage, I never knew if the boss was telling me the true rate. Even Gman says he doesn't count the fuel surcharge part of the rate. Who knows what else in the rate he thinks the driver does not deserve a percentage of? That's why I like an hourly rate. My employer and I agree on that rate, and there is question of what I get paid. If he thinks I am not giving him an honest day's work for that wage, he has the option of firing me. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
If you work by the hour or week you are just sliding with what the boss is willing to give you, and you will accept.
Nice try Eagle, but so does is the percentage/mileage driver. You are just sliding with what the boss/dispatcher is willing to give you, and you will accept.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I didn't ask him how many hours he worked and I haven't received his logs as yet. What difference does it make?
To you, I am sure it makes no difference. If you can find drivers willing to give away their waiting time and deadhead for free, it is to your advantage financially. To the driver, it should make a difference, as his percentage of the above mentioned is $0.

Quote:
If you can't deal with it then you need to find something else to do.
I did just that. Get paid from the time I open the hood in the morning till I turn the key off at the end of the day.Even when I do a road trip, like last month when I got sent to WV to PU a piece of equipment with a lowboy. I got paid from the time I started my PTI till the time I shut the truck off, except 1/2 hour for lunch each day, including fueling.I also stayed in company paid motel. The difference is I don't work for some 1099 paying, no benefit no paid holiday, no paid vacation fleet owner, getting paid xx% of the 70% of what the truck makes.

Sure, $1400 is great money per week. I do that, or more regularly in 5days, M-F. When your guy does it in 7 days, ( 70 logged, hours, we all know it is more like 100 actual) it is chump change. Sweat shops went out years ago in this country, except for OTR trucking. Hey, more power to you GMAN, if you can keep finding chumps, go for it, but don't be surprised when they finally figure out they are getting the dry shaft and quit.

Quote:
If you do your job well the money will come.
I do and it has.

Last edited by Part Time Dweller; 10-07-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
That's funny, Gman. The difference it makes is if the guy worked even the legal amount of hours with no log book shenanigans at all, it took him 70 hours to make the $1400. I doubt it was a true 70 as you had to throw in the disclaimer that he runs legal "as far as I know", which means he turns in legal logs and that is all you care about. My question is, does he make that every week, or is it a once in a while thing?
I can make the same money in a 50 hour week on the clock, working local, getting paid for every minute I am working, whether the wheels are turning or I am waiting. Why should I sit for free because of someone else's bad planning as you expect your drivers to do?

I cannot baby sit a driver, nor do I want to. I expect my drivers to run and log legally. Since I am not in the truck with them I have no way of know for sure if they are telling me the truth or not. So, as far as I know they are running legal. If I find they are doing other wise they are history. I will not jeopardize my business for anyone. You work by the hour. Unless your employer is sitting in the truck with you there is no way he can tell if you are working all the time that you are on the clock. I suspect you are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
Walking Eagle, while you think there is more incentive to work harder when you get paid percentage, I think it is my job to work hard no matter how I get paid. When I did work for percentage, I never knew if the boss was telling me the true rate. Even Gman says he doesn't count the fuel surcharge part of the rate. Who knows what else in the rate he thinks the driver does not deserve a percentage of? That's why I like an hourly rate. My employer and I agree on that rate, and there is question of what I get paid. If he thinks I am not giving him an honest day's work for that wage, he has the option of firing me. Seems pretty simple to me.
The fuel surcharge is to offset the higher costs of fuel. It is not part of the rate. I have a contract I sign with all new drivers. It explains how I pay. The fsc is excluded with me as it is with most other carriers unless you own the truck. I pay on everything the truck makes other than the fsc. And my drivers are welcome to see the rate confirmations if they request it. They can also talk with the broker or shipper any time they wish if they doubt that I am telling them the truth. And no, the driver does not deserve to receive a percentage of the fsc unless he wants to pay his percentage of the fuel costs. When a guy works on percentage or mileage you know if he is producing. So does he. If he works by the hour you have no way of knowing how much time he spends doing his job or playing video games.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller View Post
To you, I am sure it makes no difference. If you can find drivers willing to give away their waiting time and deadhead for free, it is to your advantage financially. To the driver, it should make a difference, as his percentage of the above mentioned is $0.

I did just that. Get paid from the time I open the hood in the morning till I turn the key off at the end of the day.Even when I do a road trip, like last month when I got sent to WV to PU a piece of equipment with a lowboy. I got paid from the time I started my PTI till the time I shut the truck off, except 1/2 hour for lunch each day, including fueling.I also stayed in company paid motel. The difference is I don't work for some 1099 paying, no benefit no paid holiday, no paid vacation fleet owner, getting paid xx% of the 70% of what the truck makes.

Sure, $1400 is great money per week. I do that, or more regularly in 5days, M-F. When your guy does it in 7 days, ( 70 logged, hours, we all know it is more like 100 actual) it is chump change. Sweat shops went out years ago in this country, except for OTR trucking. Hey, more power to you GMAN, if you can keep finding chumps, go for it, but don't be surprised when they finally figure out they are getting the dry shaft and quit.

I do and it has.

So, $1400 is chump change, eh? Sweat shops? :rolleyes: Do you really know what a sweat shop is? When I was a company driver I wasn't working 100 hours per week to earn a decent living. Of course, I didn't count the time I went to the toilet, showered or had a meal. I only count the time a actually WORK.