User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Some teachers are well paid. Most of them have a lot of down time. If you consider the time off it isn't such a bad pay check. On the other hand, I don't see how some teachers do what they do with all the things they need to deal. They are buried in paperwork, much of it to prevent them from being sued by parents of the children they are supposed to teach. We need good teachers. I think the quality of teachers would be much better if we got the government out of teaching our children. Parents also need to become more involved in the process.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:45 AM

"I suggest you save your money and buy your own truck. That way you can do whatever you want with it. You can get your own authority and take any animal with you that you want. When you work for a company it is not up to you to dictate to them how to run their business. A truck is a place of business and is no place for pets. There are a number of reasons why people need to keep their pets out of a truck, but the bottom line is that when you drive someone else's truck or lease to a carrier you either follow their rules or go find something else to do. Some states are looking at restricting idling even when pets are in the truck. I think that if you need to take a pet with you that you are not ready for the independence of the road. You should stay at home with your pet and find a job you can do where you can be home every day to take care of your animal. It is not fair for the animal to be couped up in a truck 24/7. It isn't fair for the employer to have do deal with the aftermath of having a pet living in their truck. As someone new to this industry you will find that carriers are not so willing to bow to an inexperienced driver's demands. Most companies will lay out their rules in the beginning. I don't think you will find ANY carrier's who are willing to accept rules or demands from new employees."

I didnt say I have a pet I said some ppl did it to get around the dumb laws/rules. I take it you have had a bad exp with pets in your trucks

The rest still stands tho, what alt. is there to idling? Why are companys/ owner ops putting APUs on their trucks? cause it saves them money and pays for itself in about a yr. I dont care if they put apu on or not thats as you say a company choice but my apu turns on everytime I turn the key

I work for a company that allows inverters

Short hauls come on man simple math 1400-1800 mi a wk x.38 532-684 a wk before taxes/med thats not worth being out here 24/7 when i can make more being home everyday. thats not to say i dont take the short stuff but I would have to have a talk with someone if it was everyday like some ppl are having to do.

I dont demand nothing but I also dont app at companys that dont fit for me. Its a give and take game just like any other job they tell you what they are willing either you can live within those guidelines or you cant but dont take a job for ex that dont allow inverters then complain when they wont let you have one.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The trend of late has been more toward regional or shorter runs. Some long haul still pays fairly well, but rates are down and some carriers are simply fed up with the cheap rates and states like California dictating what we can do with our own equipment. A driver should be able to be comfortable in their truck. It seems like every time we turn around California and a few other states want to thrust more ridiculous laws on us that can cost thousands of dollars with little or not return on that expenditure. Most of those laws are useless except to generate revenue for the state. Those are the reasons carriers are changing the way we do business. You either adapt to changes or go out of business. If you want to work in this industry you will need to change your way of thinking.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:12 AM

"If you want to work in this industry you will need to change your way of thinking."

What do I have wrong?

I understand that right now the rates blow thus where the shorter hauls are making the most bang for the buck. But how long do you think a driver will stay out here for crap pay that they can do better working else where and make the same or more and not have to be away? I myself am still doing good out here but I hear about the 300mi or less runs every day.

I have almost 2yrs in jan out otr and i still rate myself as a newbie I dont know everything nor claim too but if you think my logic is flawed please explain. It wouldnt be the first time I thought I had something down only to be showed i was wrong

As for the new reg/ the land of CA laws I understand that what they are asking is stupid until ppl band together to fight back as a grp others will continue to make rules without ever understanding the our side.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't expect enough to stick together in this industry to have an impact on anything. It hasn't happened since around 1980. But the Teamsters were strong back then. The only thing that I see that will have some impact is when enough owner operators and carrier who hauling the cheap freight finally run out of credit and money. At that point we should start to see a turnaround in our rates and availability of freight.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't expect enough to stick together in this industry to have an impact on anything. It hasn't happened since around 1980. But the Teamsters were strong back then. The only thing that I see that will have some impact is when enough owner operators and carrier who hauling the cheap freight finally run out of credit and money. At that point we should start to see a turnaround in our rates and availability of freight.
I am already seeing some carriers that where working on very thin margins going out of business.

They could make it in good times because they could run on their lines of credit.

There is a water plant in town where all of the water is exported to one of the big chains. They don't even pay enough to run 48,000 lbs of product to cover the fuel from here to destination.

What they count on, is someone who is empty and just wants any amount of money to offset some of the cost between here and there.

One of the local companies that went out of business, was a main hauler for this company.

Who is the culprit here.

The water bottling company for low-balling the carriers?

The carriers for hauling the freight?

The superstore for trying to sell a bottle of water for $1.79 as opposed to $1.89?

Nope, none of them.

The real culprit is the consumer who will not pay what it takes to keep our industries alive and profitable.

Recently, all of the highways between Cranbrook and the coast where closed for about five days. I went into the local grocery store to get a few things just as the roads opened. There where many, many displays of the produce department that had nothing in them.

I wanted to stand on top of the orange boxes and yell, "See, this is what happens when trucks don't move!" I didn't, but i did tell the produce manager, who I know, that it did my heart good to see it.

I am buying a couple of chairs and a table for my deck, Adirondacks to be precise. I see them down at the local hardware store for about $400. I am going to get them from a guy in Calgary and the total cost is over $700. Almost twice as much. But they are made locally by locals.

We need to shop as local as we can and stop worrying about the pennies we save. All that is doing is exporting jobs.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There was a time in this country when we bought quality rather than price. Furniture was made from real wood rather than particle board or plastic. We still have furniture in our family that dates back more than a century. It is still in great shape. The cheap furniture that is so prevalent in places such as Walmart will do good to last a few years. People started demanding cheap and that is exactly what is available. Textiles and other industries have moved abroad taking millions of jobs with them. The U.S. used to produce the highest quality goods in the world. That is still true in some areas. Until we once again start to demand quality over price we will continue to see our jobs from across the border.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Rookie

I quit driving OTR last July. I made the decision to quit after being laid over in Las Vegas in 100 plus degree heat after which management got on my case for idling the truck. Now I understand that fuel isn't cheap...however why should I roast in a truck because there was no freight.

I'm not a bad driver that expects something for nothing. When presented with a load I would take it if it could be run legal. If I ran into circumstances beyond my control I would let dispatch know immdiately. The only time I was late was due to weather or break down..at which time the appointment was changed or the load was reassigned..I guess technically I wasn't late. I ran legal and passed several safety department audits. I swept out the trailer after each load even if I was dropping the trailer at the yard. I can't count how many dirty trailers I picked up.

Another reason I came off the road is being laid over for 2-3 days after being on home time and told I couldn't take an extra day off even if I was out long enough on the previous trip to entitle me to that day off per company policy.

I'm not making as much money as I used to however I am happier being with my family more. If you break it down to pay per hour I probably make more now then I did on the road. Along with the paid holidays, sick time, personal time, 2 weeks paid vacation. And no I am not in a union.

So when the economy recovers and you are short of decent drivers you might think about paying a driver for what he actually does instead of just the miles.

I started OTR back in 1999.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Rookie

this was a good post.
very informative
Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Rookie

Driving is one of the most exciting thing to do for some but for others it's the way to earn money.There are still competitions and a person must have the best qquality and training to to be qualified as a driver.