User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New driver buying truck

Hello everyone,

I am a new driver and I want to buy my own truck. Someone said no company will let me drive under their company, because I am a new driver. That person said I would have to get insurance under a company. Is this true ? wouldn't i be able to buy my own ?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Can you get insurance on your own? Most likely, but it would also probably be quite expensive and there is also a good chance the insurance company may only insure you within a certain radius of your house.

Also most companies will not lease on truck where the driver has little or no experience.

The truly smart move would be to go to work somewhere as a company driver for at least 1 year though 2 would be better. After that time you will have a better understanding of the industry, will have a lot more opportunities, especially for the higher paying gigs, and insurance will not eat away at whatever profits you might make. Also use that time to shore up your financial situation.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Now...UT..You know that there are any number of trucking companies out there, that would be more than happy to "sell" the man a truck, put it under "fleece"lease, or whatever the current pc name for it is called.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to buy your own truck you will need to either lease to a carrier or get your own authority. Until you have a year or two experience, insurance will be expensive. Most carriers want to see at least 6 months to 1 year experience, minimum. You would be much better off driving for a carrier as a company driver for a couple of years. You will have many more options available to you.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If you want to buy your own truck you will need to either lease to a carrier or get your own authority. Until you have a year or two experience, insurance will be expensive. Most carriers want to see at least 6 months to 1 year experience, minimum. You would be much better off driving for a carrier as a company driver for a couple of years. You will have many more options available to you.
GMAN always provides good info. Maybe his response to this question that has been asked 5,899,482 times could be made a sticky.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: New driver buying truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangkas77
Hello everyone,

I am a new driver and I want to buy my own truck. Someone said no company will let me drive under their company, because I am a new driver. That person said I would have to get insurance under a company. Is this true ? wouldn't i be able to buy my own ?
Sure you can. What's the rush?

You haven't been in the game long enough to even consider weather you like driving a truck. 6 months -1 year later, you may decide that driving isn't for you.

Also, you have no idea what to look for in a truck. And sorry to say, only experience can help you decide which truck will work for you, and which truck will spend it's time in the shop.

Get a year in driving before you decide to buy a truck.....two years would be better. Decide that you will always drive for a living. Learn about trucks, and about which truck will make you money, and not leave you in the red. Get all of the ins and outs from other drivers first.

Then get out there, spend your money, and have at it. In this case, time is the best friend you could ever have. :wink:

Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="BigDiesel"]
Quote:
""""GMAN always provides good info. Maybe his response to this question that has been asked 5,899,482 times could be made a sticky."""""

here here...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="GTR SILVER"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
""""GMAN always provides good info. Maybe his response to this question that has been asked 5,899,482 times could be made a sticky."""""

here here...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I wouldn't make it a sticky. It might make GMAN get a big head. ops: No one would want that to happen to GMAN. Besides he likes answering newbee questions.

Uturn2001 pretty well summed it up. The only thing I would add is with today's market anyone thinking about getting into the trucking business as either a owner or lease operator had better think long and hard. Making a profit in today's trucking isn't going to be easy.

kc0iv
ops:
Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member