User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Think I found a job.. just unsure..

Currently work for werner (seek drowning like you wouldnt believe) and my old lady saw an add in the paper for a trucking company hireing with 3 months exp. I have 4, and probably thought it was for JB hunt or something but didnt leave a company name and it was in the local paper. So she called me up, gave me the info and said screw it, ill give em a call.

Turns out it is for Melton Truck Lines. After talking for awhile I filled out an app and got pre hired. Everything the recruiter told me sounded fantastic (cant believe everything tho, learned from werner). She did advise I stick with werner for 2 more months because then the transition to solo driver is much quicker with Melton.

I would be going from .26cpm to 34-35cpm, and at melton the benefits are much better, layover, breakdown pay, etc. as well as great health bennies.

When I drive dry van, I feel like I could be doing more, ya know? From maine I like outdoors and such and always curious about flatbad. Melton is all flatbed company and they train u on it for 5 days, no going out with a trainer, then u get a truck. Sounds pretty nice.

What I am unsure about is.. I used to retread 18 wheeler tires for Goodyear and mount/dismount em too and its actually a physical type job. Once I quit I grew quite a bit in the poundage department and worried my fat ass cannot do flatbed? I figure it will be rough in the beginning but as you do it things get easier. Im no 400 lb guy but I aint no slimjim. I am 5'8 and weigh 295lbs. Also figure flatbed would be great with some extra excerise since I am alrdy eating right and tryin to loose some weight.

Any good/bad info about melton?

Think its a good decision? Also by time I get the 2 extra months at werner I will be 22 instead of 21.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Board Regular

Sounds like a good job. I say take it!!! Don't worry I've seen quite a few outshape flatbeders The biggest thing is being mobile enough to secure the load. Many of the times the shipper, Ive heard, will put the tarps on the top of the load with a forklift and you pretty much just have to roll it over the load. But those tarps are pretty heavy I've heard. The lightest being like 70 lbs.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Board Regular

i did a search on melton. you can too. looks like there is lots of discussion on it

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ghlight=melton

good luck brother
Old 03-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I believe Melton used to be CFI's flatbed division. From what I've seen on here they are a pretty decent company. Definitely a better reputation than your current outfit.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Go for it! Get one of them pretty blue trucks!! Not the ugly blue one ya got now!
As far as being worried about being "too big" to do flatbed, dont worry about it. It's not marine boot camp. Chain the load, tarp it, and be done. I'm a big guy too, and all I have ever done was flatbed. Hell really the hardest part for me was getting on the trailer, but a bad knee I've had since high school hasnt helped. Get yourself a ladder if ya need to. Until then I found the simplest way is:
*Stand at the drive tires on the drivers side
*Put your left foot on the hub of the front drive tire
*While your left foot is on the hub of the front drive tire, grab the headache rack with your left hand, and the trailer rail with your right.
*Push/Pull yourself up so that your standing on the hub with your left foot.
*Lift your right foot up and put ontop/the side of the rear drive.
*As you do this, left your left foot off the hub, and put ontop of the front drive. Now both your feet should be on each drive tire, and hands be held onto the headache rack.
*Then just take a little step up to the deck.

I know some people will probably get a joke out of this, as most guys just climb right on up, but as a big guy, I found this to be the best way if you dont have a ladder.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Have you looked into other fleets at Werner? They have Many dedicated accounts that will pay you better then what you are getting now. I used to work for Werner and I know how hard it can be with the low wage 48 state pays. But, if Melton is what you want I say go for it. They are a good company from what I have heard. I personally have never worked for them so all I know is second hand info.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Werner has served its purpose as the bottom rung on the career ladder of the OP. IMHO it is time for him to move on.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Board Regular

i do know when u have a chat with a Melton driver it is a half way good intelligent conversation none of this )!$#@*%^$( crap like when u speak to some company driver's