User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What do I need?

If I take a job with a company that goes into Canada what paperwork do I need - or is it just as simple as a passport? What is the prodecure for crossing the boarder? I would imagine there is more to it than pull up to the gates and go through.

THANKS
Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: What do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF RIVER
If I take a job with a company that goes into Canada what paperwork do I need - or is it just as simple as a passport? What is the prodecure for crossing the boarder? I would imagine there is more to it than pull up to the gates and go through.

THANKS
You know this is a great question-- I was wondering the same thing now since Homeland Security- I know you need a passport now to "get back in" from Mexico, Caribean Islands. And I also heard You need a passport to get into Canada(or out)? IF this is true-- I'm wondering why my company is so worried about me getting my haz-mat---when I don't have a current Passport? either. What next? to work for us---you must have a passport?

Used to you just needed $5.00 Bridge Toll money and your PAR stickers-- and a transit manifest form--filled out completed when entering. Your log book daily inspection already filled out/signed at beginning of day.

Anyone got the Updated Requirements?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 AM

I going for my hazmat test this friday. I am also trying to get any loose ends tightened up prior to my graduation. So I can hit the ground running.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Rookie

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports will need to present government issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship, no photo ID required.

If you are not a United States or Canadian born citizen you will be required to have a passport and possibly a Visa. Airlines will require a passport for all travelers.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I refused to run Canada anymore when there were waiting lines to get to US Customs about 3 and 4 miles long. Seven hours at the boarder, and then you are not allowed to take a break there, (Sault Ste Marie ) so I said "THAT'S IT". Haven't been across the boarder since. They can't streamline things any better than that, they don't need me going there. There are enough other drivers to wait in that 300 foot hallway to keep it from floating away, they don't need me there too.

I know what I used to need to cross the boarder, but I understand that things have changed. I know that they were going to require a passport to get back into the US, but I also heard that they were going to delay that requirement because of some technical thing, or... I don't remember. But, since I don't cross it anymore, I didn't keep up with it.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: What do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF RIVER

THANKS
Check-out http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html in respect to travel to/from USA and Canada.

One thing jumped out to me
Quote:
Driving while impaired (DWI) is a serious offense in Canada . Penalties are heavy, and any prior conviction (no matter how long ago or how minor the infraction) is grounds for exclusion from Canada . Americans with a DWI record must seek a waiver of exclusion from Canadian authorities before traveling to Canada , see http://www.cbsa.gc.ca, which requires several weeks or months to process. It is illegal to take automobile radar detectors into Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, the Yukon or the Northwest Territories, regardless of whether they are used or not. Police there may confiscate radar detectors, operational or not, and impose substantial fines.
Notice also that computers are subject to search without a warrant.

Last you can also get into the NEXUS trusted traveler program.

kc0iv
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If you have a criminal record you can't go into Canada.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
That is not totally true. Canada has a process whereby you can apply for admission by way of what they call rehabilitation.

kc0iv
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
That is not totally true. Canada has a process whereby you can apply for admission by way of what they call rehabilitation.

kc0iv
That may be, just telling him not to go there with a criminal record!!! I'm sure there are plenty of things you could do but until then, STAY OUT!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Board Icon

Those Canadian Criminal Rehabilitation pardons take a long time. (2-3 years) No way many felons are even going to pass it, or go through the trouble. If your last incarceration was under 7 years (maybe 10 I'm not sure) you can only apply for the Temporary Resident Permit...which is only good for 2 years, and it also takes 2-3 years to get. :lol: Then you have to re apply right away, and it will expire before you get through the next process period. That is assuming you even get through the process successful. Each time one applies the cost exceed $1000 at a minimum.

So, yes it is possible for a felon to get the documents needed to legally cross into Canada, but it is a lot more difficult than one might expect. Canada just simply does not want US felons inside their borders.

Windwalker.. I like to cross Canada all the time, and usually cross at Port Huron, and reenter at Niagara Falls, or further up past Montreal if I'm going to Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. It generally takes me anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Maybe the longest I ever spent was an hour. Coming out of Northern Michigan, it really shaves off drive time and miles, if I don't have to drop down to Toledo, and then carve back up to Buffalo to cross on Hwy 90. I cross at Windsor if I'm making a return load to Detroit.
I never have crossed at the Soo, and would have never guessed it was so busy.

I just got my Passport last October? hehehe... oldtimers :?

Anyway, it only cost me about $100 and took 2 months to be processed and mailed to me. It's good for as long as I'll be alive, so I am good to go.