User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who has taken Georgia CDL A skills test??

My skills test is coming up on Friday, December 14 in the morning. I am in the process of memorizing the pre-trip inspection. I have been practicing the straight line backing, off set backing and parallel parking but I am still really nervous about passing the test the first time. Have any of you recently taken the GA test at the Jackson location? It is located at exit 201 off I-75. Any suggestions, tips, tricks, clues, etc on how to pass the first time other then do everything correctly. Do the testers cut you any slack or are they really tough? I really need to pass the first time around.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Unless they changed things around watch out for the straight line back. It is down hill and you will pick up too much speed if your not careful. If I remember right, I put it in reverse, held the clutch in and rode the brake most of the way thru it.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Unless they changed things around watch out for the straight line back. It is down hill and you will pick up too much speed if your not careful. If I remember right, I put it in reverse, held the clutch in and rode the brake most of the way thru it.
do you lose points if you put it in neutral and holler WHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 12-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Board Regular

Are you able to drive by and watch others testing ? Then maybe talk to them after they complete it. If they passed they will be so happy, they will talk your ear off. :wink: I was and couldn't shut up. The examiner explained everything exactly to me in FL, then asked again if i understood it. Even give you a " get out and look' plus a pull up to adjust if needed when backing. Taking pictures of my pretrip helped. Mine are uploaded to my WWW site and listed under FD Tanker CDL testing. Taking pictures helped me focus and see it, say it and do it to retain it. I am not 100% sure, but don't think that many states differ from the procedures as a whole. Maybe just a little. It's a gov't thing to copy another gov't thing instead of reinventing the wheel. I am sure you have already done this but don't forget to review the last chapter in your CDL manual that explains the exact testing procedures for pre trip, backing maneuvers and road testing. Every little detail is explained and I was surprised at what I "thought" I would have to do instead of what is actually outlined. Read every chance you get. It will help you retain the information and ease your mind.

BOL, Just stay focused and lay off the caffeine.. You will do fine.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Board Regular

Fredog wrote:
do you lose points if you put it in neutral and holler WHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LOL... No only if you Yell WHOA.... instead of GO.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner

Also, take your time. If you aren't sure when you are backing just stop and rethink. Then back up a little and see if things are happening the way you want them to. If not stop again. Keep doing that until you get the trailer in the alley. They should give you a couple of "free" pullups and "Get out and Look's" Use them. In Montana, you get 2 free pullups per exercise and then future pullups are one point. So for example you are doing a backing and you need to pullup more than once say three times that is only one point. Montana's protocol is a 12 point total for all 3 backing skills. So if you do not have any other errors you could actually pull up 16 times and still pass, barely.
If you need 16 times it may be best to practice a bit more.

IMPORTANT!!!!!

****Find out how you are scored on the test, it can make a big difference in the outcome.
Good Luck! You will be fine!!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys for the replys and info/suggestions. Tomorrow starts 4 intense days of study and practice so I can pass it the first time around. I will take my time, think, go slow and do the best I can.

I'll let you all know how I make out on Friday after the test.