Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxoreo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxoreo
I don't know much about the trucking industry. Yes, I don't have a cdl. I did not say that it would be roses and happy fun times. I am just saying that it seems that most people who reply to posts from new people asking about certain aspects of trucking life assume that the person is just like them. That they have a family at home, and they don't like sleeping in small places, and other stuff. I have traveled most of my life. I have slept in tightly enclosed places at rest stops (such as the car). I have gone a week or so without eating a "normal" meal. And you know what? I absolutely enjoyed it. It was nice to be able to travel around, and not be tethered to a single place. I have delivered pizza for 2 years, so I know about angry customers, and people with bad attitudes. Working minimum wage, driving your own car, using your own money to buy fuel, and hoping that the idiot you are delivering to isn't some cheap a$$ who will either expect the exact change back or give you a $20 bill for an order that cost $19.95 and say in a sarcastic voice "keep the change", seems to be a hell of a lot worse than what I have heard some people on here complain about. So trucking seems to be paradise compared to what I used to do.

Why ain't you driving?
Why am I not delivering pizza? Or why am I not driving a truck? If you mean the first, it's because I got in a huge argument with another worker who was the manager's favorite, so she got me fired. And now that I have a house to pay for, minimum wage for working 25-30 hours a week won't pay it. And driving about 100 miles a day and getting nothing for it won't hack it. Otherwise, I would deliver pizza because that's what I liked doing. If you meant why I wasn't driving a truck, it's because my credit has gone to crap and I can't get a loan for a cdl school without a cosigner, and no one will cosign for me because their credit is crap, it makes it a little difficult to get a cdl. I could go with company sponsored training such as Schneider or Roehl, but there aren't many companies that offer company training that will allow me to take my dog. And I won't drive a truck unless I can bring my dog with me. Even though I said delivering pizza was a crap job, I loved it because I could travel and I wasn't confined in the store all day.
With all due respect if you wouldn't even leave your dog you think these guys enjoy leaving their kids and wives?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Default Re: Are truckers really make enough money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumacetinkaya
Hello All,
I am interesting to become a truck driver.But, i am wondering about how truck drivers make money or how you feel? Are you guys happy with what you earn?I am not asking new drivers or even driving solo. How about driving with team or being owner operator. trucking job may hard for married people.
I went to a local CDL school back in September of 2006 and was hired by Swift for OTR in November of 2006. Did that for about 4 months and decided OTR wasn't for me with pay being one of the reasons. I made an average of $475 - $500 gross per week.
Worked for Pepsi from March 2007 up until August 2007 until the constant physical work aggravated my synovitis (a form of rheumatoid arthritis) to the point I could barely walk most days. The pay on that was decent, usually around $900 - 1000 gross per week but the physical problems / injuries and long (12 - 14 hours unloading Pepsi case by case) days made it not worth the money.

Went back to Swift on their dedicated Wal-Mart account...that was fine and dandy as far as pay goes...was bringing home about $500 per week but I was still gone 3 - 5 days per week. It wasn't as physical as Pepsi, but I hated being gone from home for even a few days so I left trucking entirely.

Now I work for Comcast as a CommTech II making $13.20 / hr + commission, 4 days on, 3 days off and home every night.

I spent $3000 on the CDL school and other associated costs, so it was an expensive lesson. If you're thinking about getting into trucking, think long and hard about it and make damn sure you want to do it.

There is money to be made in trucking, no doubt about it, but it takes the right kind of person to earn decent money.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania

With all due respect if you wouldn't even leave your dog you think these guys enjoy leaving their kids and wives?
:lol:
Old 11-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I could go with company sponsored training such as Schneider or Roehl, but there aren't many companies that offer company training that will allow me to take my dog. And I won't drive a truck unless I can bring my dog with me.
And how do think these guys(and girls) feel when they have to leave the family at home? They can't take them. No company is going to allow you to take the dog with you when you are out with a trainer which could be as long as 8 weeks. So even if you get your CDL from a school, the dog will most likely have to stay home for a few weeks. If you are so worried about taking the dog with you from the start, then forget about being a driver.
FYI, once your out of training and the dog is with you, they will be some places that will not allow you to enter the gate with a pet in the truck. You would have to leave the dog at the gate with security and they are not responesable if anything happens. And if you want to flatbed, then there is a good chance that the dog will have to stay home. Alot of places that flatbeds pick-up and deliver at have a not pet on the premises policy.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE