User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Will i have to quit

im currently taking a medication call clonazepam. Or as some may know it "klonopin" i am on this med legit from a medical doctor its used to treat my anixiety and panic disorder, the obnly thing i neeed to know is if i decided to go drive now or in the future will i need to stop this med. it dose show up on drug screens as a benzodiazapene
Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member

No you will not have to stop taking this medication as long as the following criteria is met:

It is prescribed to you.

You are taking it as prescribed

The doctor who prescribed the medication as well as the doctor who does your DOT physicals feel that the medication does not pose a safety concern for you.

One thing. Some companies may have a policy in place refusing to allow a driver to take a certain medication and still operate a CMV. When thinking about applying to a company it would be a good idea to talk to the safety department directly and make sure that they do not have any issues with the medication(s) that you are taking.

When you do go for orientation and/or take a DOT physical it would be a good idea to have a letter from your doctor saying what medication(s) you are taking, the dose information, and that s/he is aware of you driving a CMV and feels that the medication does not pose a safety issue. Also keep a copy of the letter for your files and have it ready any time you take a drug test.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Will i have to quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoxland
im currently taking a medication call clonazepam. Or as some may know it "klonopin" i am on this med legit from a medical doctor its used to treat my anixiety and panic disorder, the obnly thing i neeed to know is if i decided to go drive now or in the future will i need to stop this med. it dose show up on drug screens as a benzodiazapene
Reading from the website: http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_klonopin.htm I would have a long talk with your doctor. Klonopin or Rivotril (generic Clonazepam) has some real bad side effects which could cause some concerns in respect to driving.

As Uturn2001 said have a talk with safety in respect to this drug.

kc0iv