User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i have 8 yrs exp pulling a box. company named florida rock tank lines out of jacksonville fl hiring in atl area. home every night. they pay %!!! not to sure about that but my ol lady just lost twins and my aunt who had a big hand in making me the man i am has been sick. time to be home!! any advice from yall fellow truckers out there??
Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Board Regular

#1 sounds like a cheap company by the way you described it.

#2. instant benefits and paid by the hour. m-f day shift. sounds like a dream trucker job to me. hows the overtime option?

on # 3 how many loads can you do per day? can you pull as many loads as you can handle.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 PM

Since I originally posted this, I decided to abandon trucking entirely.
I've since enrolled myself into a local college and am trying to decide on a major.

I figured if I were going to "invest" 2 years of my life into something, it would make more sense to get a degree in something rather than spend that 2 years working for a megacarrier just so i could earn 10 cents more a mile.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
I've since enrolled myself into a local college and am trying to decide on a major.

I figured if I were going to "invest" 2 years of my life into something, it would make more sense to get a degree in something rather than spend that 2 years working for a megacarrier just so i could earn 10 cents more a mile.
Smart move! Trucking is a dead-end job unless you se habla espanol!!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Trucking is a dead-end job unless you se habla espanol!!!!!
says you :?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Well, living in New Mexico, you'd think I'd be fluent in Spanish. In reality, I can't speak a word. :lol:

Honestly, I tried trucking and it just flat out did not work for me and I hated everything about it. So rather than be miserable and be one of those guys stuck in a truck stop bitching about how bad it is - I left.
Originally, I was planning on either something in Biotech. or Mechanical Engineering, but I talked with an adviser and decided on entering the Computer Information / Science program at a local college focusing on Network Administration. In about 2 years time, I'll have an Associates degree in Computer Science and a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator) certification.

Average gross pay for an entry level Network Admin. is around $45k per year while topping out at around $80k per year with 5+ years experience.
Personally, I couldn't justify spending 2 years of my life in a rolling box & never seeing my family just so I can apply somewhere besides Swift or Werner.

Some people love trucking and make it work for them and their family. I, however, was not one of them.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 PM

If you can handle the blood and gore a buddy of mine at the age of 40 when to 2 years of college to be a registered nurse. He is making big bucks now working in the ER of a large hospital.

peace out,
feulman
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 PM

I'll readily admit I'm pretty squeamish around stuff like that. I just about passed out watching my 4 year old son having blood drawn. :lol:
Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, living in New Mexico, you'd think I'd be fluent in Spanish. In reality, I can't speak a word. :lol:

Honestly, I tried trucking and it just flat out did not work for me and I hated everything about it. So rather than be miserable and be one of those guys stuck in a truck stop bitching about how bad it is - I left.
Originally, I was planning on either something in Biotech. or Mechanical Engineering, but I talked with an adviser and decided on entering the Computer Information / Science program at a local college focusing on Network Administration. In about 2 years time, I'll have an Associates degree in Computer Science and a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator) certification.

Average gross pay for an entry level Network Admin. is around $45k per year while topping out at around $80k per year with 5+ years experience.
Personally, I couldn't justify spending 2 years of my life in a rolling box & never seeing my family just so I can apply somewhere besides Swift or Werner.

Some people love trucking and make it work for them and their family. I, however, was not one of them.
Just wondering..how are you supporting the family while doing the school deal? I realize that living in Bloomfield is not expensive..but you still have to buy food and clothes for the kids right?

Other thought I'm having is...what other school do they have in the area, besides San Juan Community? I'm pretty familiar with the area there...I lived in Farmington for a few years.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm in Albuquerque, not the Farmington / Bloomfield / Aztec area.

CNM (Central New Mexico Community College, formerly TVI) has a workstudy program that allows 20 hours per week for a job, they also offer job placement assistance while you're in school. Essentially, they have a list of employers that will work around your school schedule. For instance, I have a Computer Science class from 11:30am - 1:15pm Tuesday & Thursday.
Know any "regular" employers who would let you take off for 3 hours right in the middle of the day twice a week? :lol:

Aside from that, under the SSI program for our Autistic son, we get SSI income (since my wife can't work) as well as state assistance while I go to school. I guess you could consider it "welfare", but the state only helps out while I'm in school, so I'm not sitting on my ass watching Maury or anything. :roll: