User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Do I want to drive again??

Hi all:

Been lurking around a bit and trying to gain a feel for the industry and I have to say I've been just about talked out of giving it a try again. So I'll just ask a few questions and see if I can be pushed one way or the other once and for all.
I graduated driving school in 1991. Drove for Builders Transport Flat Bad right out of school. around a year later I changed to Digby and went that route for around a year or so. Then I moved to entertainer coaches out of Nashville. At the time Buses were not regulated so it was nothing to do 700, 800 miles a night to get to shows. After about two years of this I was worn out and just fell out. Could not deal with the miles and hours, it was killing me.

At this point I wanted nothing to do with driving so instead of going back to a truck I went back to mechanic work and opened my own Boat shop on the local lake. In this field I still got my fill of hauling strange and fragle oversize loads around the lakes and in and out of the water with my own trucks.
in 96 I let my CDL expire as I was not using it and shortly after sold my business and went to work for another boat shop. Well around 02 I busted my neck and had to have a couple disk replaced with medical hardware. I got over it and went back to work and did well after proper recovery time. Now I sit in my computer room in recovery again. I just had the lower part of my spine rebuilt in June of 07, Yes 3 month ago!!
The Neuro Surgen that did both jobs on me says I will be good as new in a couple more months ans I will be able to work at anything I want other than "olimpic weight lifting" his exact words LOL!!

I'm thinking about driving again but don't know exactly how I should proceed. being that I am expierenced and I was a "natural" with a truck and trailor I know I can jump in one today and go for it. No doubt in my mind.
I need to know how to approach the industry. with the health history am I even viable to the industry. I'm not scared but I wonder if the industry might be scared of me?? I have no other health problems and this was not the result of injury, according to the Doc I have had a "mal formed" spine since birth and the last proceedure corrected the issue. My MVR is clean for over 20 years and there is no criminal record, I doubt if I even have a paper trail other than taxes and home loans.

So whats the thoughts? If I do decide I'm in for a new driving carear how should I move ahead. Oh BTW I am in my mid 40's and not lazy or unwilling to work, no children and married to the same woman for 22 years. and I assure you she is ready for me to get out of the house and her hair for a while.
Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading. Miloh.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Board Regular

Welcome to the forum Miloh! You probably already know that your going to have to start from scratch again with one of the training companies but with your previous experience you know more than most rookies. As far as your spine I would recommend getting a note from the surgeon stating your condition and possible limitations and whether he thinks sitting in the truck for 8 to 10 hours a day will be ok. If the doc thinks your good to go and provides a note to prove it I don't think that many companies will turn you away.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Rookie

Hey Z.W.

Thanks for the reply: I'm aware I will have to start over and have no problem with that really. I asked the Doc about the driving thing and he is cool with it.
this is the kind of responce and info I need. Thanks.

Miloh.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

I did school and Builders Transport in '91 too...

I also let my CDL go and just got back on the road in December last year...for some reason the job is a lot more enjoyable than the first go round.

Did you run out of Irondale or Nashville?

Dave P.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP
I did school and Builders Transport in '91 too...

I also let my CDL go and just got back on the road in December last year...for some reason the job is a lot more enjoyable than the first go round.

Did you run out of Irondale or Nashville?

Dave P.
Hey Dave:

I drove out of Nashville for Builder's.... What happend to them?? don't see their trucks any more.
At the time dispatch had no consideration for drivers at all, just wonder if it's changed any now?? is it any better now days?? looking around here it sounds about the same as it was then. But who can ya trust to give the true story anyway?? I thought for sure the money would be better than what I'm seeing. Sounds like the same money as 10 or 12 years ago, has the industry not moved any in the last decade??

Good to hear you like it better now that then, Might be some hope.

Miloh.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

"being that I am experienced" You won't be considered experienced, too long out of the game as a prvious poster stated. I think Schneider bought out Builders. As far as the physical, why don't you go to an occupational medicine clinic and see if you pass a DOT physical. They don't cast that much and could be a quick indicator for expending any more resources getting back in the game. BOL
Old 09-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Rookie

hate to go off topic, but what does BOL mean?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Best of luck.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

How's your Spanish?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hey miloh, aside from your question can you tell us some story's about driving the people around? Who was the most famous? bet you saw some crazy stuff?