User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I REALLY Need Some Help Now As Time Running Out.

Seems as each day goes by I find out more and more as to when my government job will be coming to an end and it's looking like it's going to be sooner than later. That said, I need input as to the best company training schools out there with the best finishing and newbie jobs. I read where alot of you wouldn't suggest becoming a driver at this time and I appreciate your honesty. I though have wanted to drive for years and just didn't have the opportunity to make the career change with life's other responsibilities to deal with. Now at age 52, I find myself getting the chance to make the change, having the support to make the change, and of course still having the DESIRE to make the change.

With my current employer cutting my position I don't really want to spend my own cash reserves to get my own training and then have it trickle back to me in tuition reimbursement. That is why I am seeking your advise as to which companies do the best job of training, which ones are the best economical ones to become involved with, and which ones won't hang my ***** out on the road and forget about me for 5-6 weeks and then say, "oh, you've not gotten home lately have you.".....

I've done some research and have done alot of reading also. With Schneider not training new drivers right now, I think they would have been my first choice with all I've ever heard and read about them, I'm basically being left with Roehl, Swift, and Millis as the only other schooling companies that I know of. Please get back with me as I am hopeing to find a good transition for myself and my family and to keep both the income and benefits flowing somewhat regularly.

Thanks to any of you who take the time to read this and give me some good sound advise...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Board Regular

I know Conway Truckload has a training program but it may be hold for the moment for better times. Around the Denver area I have seen Stevens transport training trucks on the highways... I haven't checked out Stevens yet in reviews but something to think about.

My wife and I both made a change to the field 7 months ago and love it. we make way better money than we were in our previous professions... if this is what you want to do, don't let others discourage you.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Rookie

check with your state unemployment office on job training..they may have alotments for truck driver training...Pa when i got laid off from my job they offered driver training for free, at a credited school
Old 07-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think Roehl has an Driving School.. I Think Mills does.. I'll go with them if i was you but odds are you have to do a contract... Roehl, Mills and Swift (long as your not overweight) are decent choices.. Just say no to Werner!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
I don't think Roehl has an Driving School.. I Think Mills does.. I'll go with them if i was you but odds are you have to do a contract... Roehl, Mills and Swift (long as your not overweight) are decent choices.. Just say no to Werner!!!
I didn't think Swift had a BMI (weight) limit. I KNOW Prime DOES. Still have another 35 lbs. to lose before I could even APPLY at Prime.

Rick
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Rookie

Fortunately....I am in pretty good shape for being 52. I am 6-1, about 207, so I don't think I would have a problem with any of the height/weight tables. I didn't know that Conway had a training program and will look into that. Conway has alot of freight running here in the Delaware, OH area for PPG, and depending on how it turns out, Swift has a terminal on the westside of Columbus, Hilliard, OH actually. Millis is probably my #1 choice, but I've not heard back from them on the freight lanes that they have in my area, which if they don't have many, would make Swift my best choice with their local, big, terminal...

I just want to make the best decision I can under the circumstances of my current job coming to an end and making the career change to what I probably should have been doing all along...driving a rig and seeing the country......it's just something that is in my blood, if that makes any sense....
Old 07-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
I didn't think Swift had a BMI (weight) limit. I KNOW Prime DOES. Still have another 35 lbs. to lose before I could even APPLY at Prime.

Rick
really? What happens when you lose the 35, apply, get accepted and then regain the weight?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Rookie
Default Wia

I got school funding through this program from the unemployment office in California,I don't know where you're from but In California one of the guys that was working at the trucking school i went to ask questions about how much it was gonna cost sent me to this office that helps people learn a new trade as long as it's not to expensive,It's called WIA (Workforce Investment Act) and they help you as long as you didn't quit or got fired, it has to be a layoff,
ask around no charge to you if you qualify:thumbsup: BOL
Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post

Rick
With Swift you can't even use your current Medical Card... you have to go thru their doctors to get your Medical Card.. and i was told since i was overweight according the BMI, i had to get a sleep study test before i could go out on the road with a trainer.. yes this was after i left my current job and lost my insurance so i basically had to pay 3000 to train with swift if i wanted to drive for them!!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
With Swift you can't even use your current Medical Card... you have to go thru their doctors to get your Medical Card.. and i was told since i was overweight according the BMI, i had to get a sleep study test before i could go out on the road with a trainer.. yes this was after i left my current job and lost my insurance so i basically had to pay 3000 to train with swift if i wanted to drive for them!!
You must be like that 555lb 12 year old kid then. I know i'm technically 'overweight', and i passed the wellness tests and the like. sounds like they're using that as an excuse to not take you on.