User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Lease Programs

I was wondering if any of you drivers had any positive experiences with a companies lease to own programs. I know from what Ive seen and read that most of them are a rip off. Am curious if anyone has had any good experiences with it. I run local myself ( north texas) , but my brother is really considering trying to buy a truck this way. I cant seem to persuade him not to. Hes considering going with a co. just for this. Hes a tanker yanker in houston. Thanks for any help
Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Your brother needs to understand that leasing a truck doesn't necessarily mean that he will actually own it. He needs to save his money and buy a truck, if that is what he wants to do. There are no short cuts when it comes to owning a truck. Going with a carrier just because they have a fleece program isn't a very good reason to sign on with a carrier. Most carriers who offer those programs pay low mileage rates and have high weekly payments. If he is considering this type of fleece, he probably has no money and poor credit. He needs to understand that he could easily be in worse shape if he gets involved in one of these programs. It costs a lot of money to operate a truck.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Very few lease purchases are true purchase programs. Many of them you lease the truck for a certain amount of time and then if you want to actually buy the truck then you can for "fair market value." Depending on the payments and length of the lease you may find that you could have bought two trucks, on payments, for the true cost of that lease truck.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Rookie

Hey Thanks for the imput guys. Im trying to convince him to stay away from it, as Ive heard and seen nothing but negative on it. He actually has good credit, I honestly cant figure why hes considering this now. But Thanks for the help. If he sees someone else agreeing with me maybe he will listen I dont know.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

He would be better off finding a good used truck for about 20 to 25k and lease onto a carrier, then do the lease purchase scam.

My uncle did that in order to get a new truck once. This happened about a year ago, did the lease purchase deal for a month and after expenses only made $97 dollars, needless to say he turned the truck in.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkntxn
Hey Thanks for the imput guys. Im trying to convince him to stay away from it, as Ive heard and seen nothing but negative on it. He actually has good credit, I honestly cant figure why hes considering this now. But Thanks for the help. If he sees someone else agreeing with me maybe he will listen I dont know.
One option to look at is Selectruck. They have a first time buyer program. $999 down WAC 2 yr limited warranty.

Most are Freightliners but they have a few non-Freightliners.

One thing I liked these are NOT leases.

kc0iv
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 AM

its about $0.85 cpm to run your own truck, then they lock you in a lease and pay you $0.90cpm,

if youre gonna do a lease, talk to people that are in a lease with the company, , then do your own math and see if you will be happy with the program

but in general as said here a thousand times, STAY AWAY
Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Select is certainly an option, but you will pay about $20,000 over retail, plus interest rates tend to be higher than going through conventional lending sources. You will still have a fairly high payment with Select. As I recall, payments run about $1,600/month. Given the choice between Select or fleece through a carrier, I would go with the Select. You will over pay with either.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

I did a lot of research before I entered into a lease program....most of them are scams, and I won't argue with that.

However, that said, I am doing quite well under Arrow's program so far, but it was designed as a true lease purchase program from the beginning, not a trade in plan where you never own the equipment. It's also undergone some changes since I signed my contract, and not all of them are positive in my mind for the new leasers.

Buying outright is best, but for someone like me with major credit hurdles to cross, leasing was a good and viable option. It's not for everyone.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Board Regular

Im doing a lease purchase right now but i did all kinds of research and also did some checking and looking at other equipment before making the move. i got a better deal for my truck than if i would have went to like selecttruck. its a higher monthly payment but not a very long term on a 2004 freightliner columbia set up for flatbedding with lower miles and gets fairly decent mpg but i wont be happy until i get 9mpg but thats just cause im greedy. if things go good my truck will be paid off by the end of the year 1 dollar buyout and nothing in the contract about prepayment penalities. ya ive had to stick money into the truck but i my belief is to keep up on the small problems before they turn into expensive big problems