User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question on clutch use

When I was being trained to drive a truck a year ago, my instructors insisted upon double clutching while shifting. As a result, I got pretty good at it. The company I used to work for hitherto, had double clutching as their offical policy, but didn't really hold a gun to one's head on how one shifted....and so, I merrily continued to double clutch, even though most of the other drivers didn't.

Recently, I've changed jobs and joined a company where the trainer I'm with ( who's a truly awesome guy otherwise ) frowns upon me double clutching, even though the company's official policy is not very clear on the issue. He's trying his best to teach me how to shift without using the clutch....I've got the hang of doing so while upshifting, but still need to double clutch while downshifting, as otherwise, I grind the gears dreadfully. As a result, my driving's really messed up now, and even after a year of driving trucks, I feel like a complete novice, and my confidence is shot....many a time when I need to downshift while taking a turn, I end up bringing the truck to a complete halt, 'cos I just can't downshift without double clutching, and my trainer won't let me double clutch ; whereas earlier, I could downshift in a heartbeat, without a qualm.

In the expert opinion of all you veteran truckers out there, what is the best way to shift ? What is the policy of most companies out there, in this regard ? What, in your valued opinion, should I do in this situation ?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

well am not a veteran only drivin 5 years but i never use that clutch. My oldman showed me how to drive and he told me never to use the clutch. I think it is better for the truck not to use the clutch i can go over a year and a 1/2 or so before a clucth adjustment. I drive local so i stop and go alot. But the only bad thing is when i go on road tests for new companys the 1st thing they say to me is i want to see you use the clutch and then am fu*ked. I just tell them the truth i can use it up shifting but downshifting is going to be rough. I never got turn down for a job cuz of it. If you drive better using the clutch then use it. I know my damn left leg would get beat up after awhile.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

1st: The best way to shift is what you feel most comfortable in doing.

2nd: I suspect the company is telling the trainer(s) to make sure that incoming drivers use the clutch as little as possible in order to save wear/tear on the clutch.

3rd: Wear and tear on a clutch is much less expensive to replace than wear and tear on a transmission/engine, etc.

Find out from someone higher up in the company what the official policy is. If the company is worth working for, I'm sure you'll be able to double-clutch to your heart's content.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've got the hang of doing so while upshifting, but still need to double clutch while downshifting, as otherwise, I grind the gears dreadfully.
I am the same way, after two months of grinding to downshift without the clutch I finally gave up and started using the clutch again, I forgot how silent a process it is SUPPOSED to be. :lol:

I say that grinding is bad, so shift however keeps you from grinding. The TMC company policy is "shift however you want, but don't grind the gears"

I hope this helps.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I shift both ways. I was actually trained RPM to begin with, and learned to double clutch later.
I like both ways, and use both for different reasons,

When I am in heavy traffic, doing a lot of shifting...I don't like to put excessive wear on my left leg. When I am rolling easy...(no powering up)
I like to slip gears...for something to do. Most of the time it is just effortless. Sometimes I miss..and have to tickle the gears, while I throttle to the sweet spot.

I think in emergency situations..I'd trust my clutching most. I mean...if you MUST grab a gear...you need to know your "go to gears"...and take them fast. Otherwise...I just never like to be in a hurry to shift. The trucks respond better too, when you are not jamming them in a big hard rush.

My theory is also...in lower gears....let the tranny do most of the work. I power up lightly...and shift maybe sooner than some guys would. I don't run the power band so high...I have to bring the RPM's back down to get the next gear. Falls under my "let the Tranny do the work Theory."

Anyway....you will get the hang of both methods, the more you do it. After a while...you don't even think about it. It is routine for you. Just like always watching your RPM gauge when you first start learning. After a lot of miles...you seem to only glance at your RPM gauge for specific reasons...not shifting....necessarily. When I'm wearing my iPod...and have Joe Satriani shredding my skull...I can't hear the engine...I might glance at the RPM gauge...etc. God this is long winded. I gotta shift to another post. GIT 'R DONE !! :lol:
Old 05-21-2007, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

If you want to learn to float try doing a single clutch when down shifting.

Clutch when taking it out of gear, rev up the motor and then float it into the next lower gear.

Once you get that down then work on getting it out of gear without using the clutch.

Otherwise, continue to shift however you are comfortable doing it.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Ahhhhhh ... more trucker myths..... :roll:

I think the "trainer" in the original post is a moron.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Board Regular
Default Thanks

Thanks a lot guys....I truly appreciate your words of wisdom. UTurn, I'm actually working on ur method right now.

It's such a great thing to have a board like this where we can get to share our issues, problems, & experiences, and seek opinions, comments & help. I'm starting to actively recommend this site to some of my trucker buddies, so don't be surprised to see a horde of Molson-swilling, maple leaf waving, Oilers / Eskimos jersey wearing Canucks descend upon this board :lol:
Old 05-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
I'm starting to actively recommend this site to some of my trucker buddies, so don't be surprised to see a horde of Molson-swilling, maple leaf waving, Oilers / Eskimos jersey wearing Canucks descend upon this board :lol:

Awwwah GREAT...eh?...I hope we can get our Canadian Translator over-hauled before those Moose-loving, Jack-Pine savages get here...eh?
Oh drat...hellava time find we're OWuT of 2hunert watt fuses...eh?!!
Yumpin" Yimmany Yickets...ya hosers!
:evil: :P
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Board Member