User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Passport for Canada?

I'm considering a career in truck driving. I noticed that some companies want to know if you are able to go to Canada. What do they mean by this? I don't have a passport, but other than that I don't have any other restrictions that would prevent me from going to Canada. Do I even need a passport to drive a truck in Canada?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Starting next year, you'll need a passport. Beyond that, if you have a criminal record you can't enter their country. A buddy and I were heading over last year and they turned us away because he has a DUI from five years ago.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 07-16-2007, 12:51 AM

^^^^

Not so true, i have a record from when I was a kid and I can freely go in and out. You just have to let them know about cause if you dont your lying and they will charge you with a fel and you will nvr again allowed in. DUIs are one of those they dont let in period from what the boarder lady told me.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

You do not need a passport to enter Canada. You need one to re-enter the states starting next year. A "FAST" card is as good as a passport.

Any serious charges including DUI you will not be allowed in Canada.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Vito's statement was somewhat "generalized". There are probably offenses that they consider permissible, and others that are definite no-go's. Its their determination. Some people apply for and receive what is known as a "Minister's Permit". Not easy to get, and takes time. Also depends on the offense whether or not it will be granted.

If you are going into Canada and returning to the US, at present, I believe, there exists a requirement to have your birth certificate with you. Cyanide is in Calgary, Alberta right now....and our terminal manager told him to make sure he took his with him.

I've had a passport for years, and always have it with me... just in case I have to leave the country :? :? 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

If you have a conviction in the USA that is considered a felony in Canada you can not enter that country as a CMV driver without first obtaining a Minister's Permit. (Minister as in Government)

If you are unsure what a particular conviction would be counted as in Canada look up and contact a Canadian Consulate/Embassy and ask.

Because of the "confusion" about what types of convictions are and are not allowed to enter Canada many companies simply will not hire anyone with any type of conviction beyond a traffic citation if they go into Canada on a regular basis.

BTW: Better apply for your passport now. With the 3-4 month backlog you may find yourself without when you must have it.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Rookie

To answer the OP question, even if they are able to cross the border, many drivers are simply not interested in leaving their home country, which is a big part of why they ask.

To expand on what Uturn said, a DUI is a felony in Canada and you can't cross the border even if your DUI was a misdemeanor in your state.

From what I understand thats where most of the confusion lies. Uturn's suggestion to contact canada customs is the best way to go but make sure you also contact US CBP as well since you will also be crossing back to US eventually.

I'm from Canada driving into the US and to get back into Canada I need either a passport or birth certificate (proof of citizenship, landing papers or some similar document) and another piece of govt photo ID. ie your drivers license 8) Your passenger needs to have all that too. Going into the US, you won't need anything extra that you didnt need to go north, except starting next year you will need a passport to get into the states. You probably will not want to go into canada with just a birth certificate, which will still be sufficient for canadian borders, and realize you forgot your passport at home :shock: (US citizens are not exempt)

So far a FAST card will not take the place of a passport although CBP announced they will "look into it" but I'm gonna get myself a passport just in case that falls thru. For now, using a FAST card as identification when you don't have a fast approved load can get your card taken away, although many people still do it since most border guards are semi-reasonable. :wink: Some ppl don't realize you can also have your card taken away if you get caught not declaring every single thing you bring across (ie cigarettes, meat, citrus, pet monkey)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

no pet monkey?! :lol: :lol:
Old 09-03-2023, 04:13 PM
Rookie

guys, how is it right now?
do I need a passport to cross the borderline us/canada?
I am waiting for some papers to make a passport plus need also to take a photo for it
I'm in a hurry(
Old 09-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Navigating the process of getting a passport and ensuring you have the correct photo specifications can be a bit of a hassle, especially when different countries have varied requirements. I had a similar challenge, but I found a solution over there. It's an AI-powered platform that ensures your passport photo meets the official requirements for over 96 countries. Super handy and ensures you won't face issues due to photo discrepancies. Safe travels!

Last edited by VinniePo; 09-07-2023 at 11:56 AM.