User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Got a Dump Truck Job...questions!!! HELP ME

Hi there, just got hired on to drive quad axle. I am not sure what the quad part is. What do they do?? I drove tandem for a few years, so I never had to worry about them. When do you put them down? Any help is appreciated!!!!
Also, any pointers????
Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quad axle means that you either have one or two extra non-driving axles that can be raised/lowered. These are generally lowered into a ground contact load bearing position when travelling down a highway fully loaded. Usually you will raise them for any off road maneuvering that you do, and always when empty. You may even need to raise them for some sharp corners. It is best to be honest with your new employer and explain that you need a lesson on how they want you to use the lift axles.

Good luck.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Board Icon

Keep a close eye on those 2 additional "pony" axles. They tend to wear the heck out of the tires. Quads are monster's of trucks.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:22 PM

Quad axle dumps usually have a tag axle in front of the two drive axles and one behind the drives. You have to put the rear axle down before you dump or you must dump the air from the drives before dumping if you keep the tag axles raised. Also, don't get caught driving around loaded with the axles up, that will be your ticket. You must raise the axles to go around turns and lower them immediatly after completing the turn. You don't want to wait until you're doing 40 before you lower the axles, the guy buying the tires won't be happy.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Got a Dump Truck Job...questions!!! HELP ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by codered
Hi there, just got hired on to drive quad axle. I am not sure what the quad part is. What do they do?? I drove tandem for a few years, so I never had to worry about them. When do you put them down? Any help is appreciated!!!!
Also, any pointers????
I see you're from WI.

In the past, some WI quad axles had one lift axle in front of the drives and one lift axle behind the drives.

Nowadays the vast majority of WI quads are being set up with the two lift axles in front of the drives, also all of the new quads are now being equipped with self steerable lift axles.

In WI the lift axles can each legally carry 10,000 lbs, the front steer axle can carry 20,000 lbs, and the drive tandems can carry 34,000 lbs. for a total of 74,000 lbs., however the maximum legal gross weight for a quad axle in WI is 73,000 lbs.

There are seasonal exceptions to this gross weight limit for hauling certain materials,(with the proper permits) but basically just keep it at 73,000 max.

Lift axles must be down with the proper amount of air pressure applied to them whenever the truck is on the road with a load on.

If your truck has the older non steerable lift axles you must release the air pressure from them when turning a corner, or you will be unable to steer and the truck will try to go straight.The tires on the lift axles will also be severely worn and scuffed if you attempt to corner with the axles down.

You must remember that the lift axles are equipped with brakes, so the trick is to approach the corner, use the brakes to reduce your speed to an acceptable level for the corner, then get off the brakes and lift the axles just before you start to turn.

If you raise the axles while you are using the brakes, as the air pressure is released from the axles the wheels will lock and skid, leaving black skid marks, making squealing noises, and making your boss irate when he sees the flat spots on the lift axle tires.

Also remember to lift the axles when you arrive at your destination, before backing in to dump.

If your truck has self steerable lift axles, those are much easier to use.

When you're truck is loaded and you enter the road, put the axles down and leave them down until you get to your destination, then raise them when leaving the road.

Most self steering lift axles are set up to automatically raise whenever the transmission is shifted into reverse, in case the driver forgets.

(Trying to back up with steerable axles down causes the wheels on the lift axles to max out in one direction or the other, not good for the axles and makes it tough for the truck to move in soft ground, hence the reason for the reverse lift thing)

And as stated previously, make sure the lift axles are down whenever you're on the road with a load on, or else if you're stopped by a cop they will weigh the truck as a tandem, and you will be paying a big fine! (In the thousand dollar range)

The boss will not pay that type of fine, because it is your responsibility to operate the truck properly and be sure the axles are down.