User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Jacobson, and Weiner also have General Dollar accounts.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Well speaking as someone who has delivered to DG I can say at least from the DC's I've been too, that they treat you alot better than the (Un)Family Dollar folks.

Personally I dont care if I ever take another load to a Family Dollar DC.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Board Member

"Rolltainer" my A**!

The correct equipment for delivering to a store with out a dock or truck access is a Pup, preferably one with a lift gate.

About a month ago my LTL barn got new Volvos. While they are head and shoulders above our Freightshaker Sterlings for driver comfort they suck for city work. I have had to flat out tell our dispatacher NO!, I can't safely go to X customer with a sleeper and van.

Swift uses doubles for some of the tighter Rite Aid stores; Schneider has wiggle wagons for their GM parts dedicated account. I guess they don't want their drivers having lots of little backing oops at car dealerships.

I'd be leery of taking a van and twin screw sleeper into those places as you could get a lot of little BS backing "accidents" that could make you radioactive from a DAC/ better gig standpoint.

Remember as the Driver YOU are in charge and responsible for your equipment. Know its limits and weaknesses.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
"Rolltainer" my A**!

The correct equipment for delivering to a store with out a dock or truck access is a Pup, preferably one with a lift gate.
Yeah, that's one thing I never understood Ian. The reason a customer requests a liftgate is that they don't have a dock. If they don't have a dock, that means they aren't expecting big trucks. So here comes the driver in a 53' with a sleeper truck and he's just asking for trouble. It doesn't take much to pop a windshield out trying to swing that 53' around in a crowded parking lot. Especially when alot of guys move the tandems all the way up in the city.

Those pups sure are nice. You can take those things damn near anywhere and not get yourself in a jiffy. Takes some getting used to backing them up since they move alot quicker than a long box, tho.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
The reason that they came up with this loonie plan was to save money on the labor for the DG employees. Do not expect help at the stores, because most DG employees are old ladies. Shocked
My mother has been with DG for almost 17 years now. They have never unloaded the trucks. It has always been the driver unloading. Either rolltaners or freight rollers.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmj_big_daddy
Quote:
The reason that they came up with this loonie plan was to save money on the labor for the DG employees. Do not expect help at the stores, because most DG employees are old ladies. Shocked
My mother has been with DG for almost 17 years now. They have never unloaded the trucks. It has always been the driver unloading. Either rolltaners or freight rollers.
Who do you think was "catching" the freight coming off of the rollers?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

Those pups sure are nice. You can take those things damn near anywhere and not get yourself in a jiffy. Takes some getting used to backing them up since they move alot quicker than a long box, tho.
Pups are the bomb for doing city work! When I have a pup and single screw daycab I go into unknown driveways without fear.

With a 2 or 3 point turn you can turn around with them most anywhere.

The only thing I have to watch out for is overheads on private property.

When I have a long box I'm very careful about where I go. I'll park a 1/4mi away and recon on foot before I enter an area. Heck when blindsiding at one customer I'll G.O.A.L. 4-5+ times.

As a general rule for commercial/industrial areas most anything built in the past 20 years is going to be truck friendly.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Quote:
That maybe be true but they do the same thing now. You roll the taners off and push them to the sidwalk then the store employees unload them. Wait it is less work on the driver. Wait I forgot most truckers would bitch if hung with the rope of there choice. If you don't like the job then let your wife drive atleast she would have a reason to bitch
Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Quote:
That maybe be true but they do the same thing now. You roll the taners off and push them to the sidwalk then the store employees unload them. Wait it is less work on the driver. Wait I forgot most truckers would bitch if hung with the rope of there choice. If you don't like the job then let your wife drive atleast she would have a reason to bitch
How many loads have you delivered with either the old non-rolltainer way and of course the rolltainer way? You mother honestly is probably one of those ratbags who always managed to call in sick on "truck day".
Old 04-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Rookie
Default really

Ok well if my mother is a ratbag that calls in sick then you must be one of the guys who is 45 years old and never worked a day in your life. You say your a trucker sorry son but playing 18 wheels of steel 11 hours a day does not count. So I guess when you decide to come and and run with the big dogs then you can take that big wheels out of the yard and try. I get a kick out of you stupid f|_|cking guys who have to put someone else down to make them feel good. Sir I am sorry but you putting someone down will not stop you wife from thinking you have a small dick nor will keep her off the steps of my truck. Have a good day and don't forget to turn your computer off and log yours hours.
Dumb Fuck