User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dollar General Acct ?

Well Wednesday I told hogan I was looking for a new job this w/e and That I had enough of their bs... Moments later I got a phone call. Considering staying there, I stay out two weeks at a time and never make any money. This week I ran about 1000 miles :roll: . No kidding.

Long story short, what they have available right now is the Dollar General acct, you make more money (They say about 1000 a week) Home more often.

I want to hear from the drivers doing these loads. I understand you deal with roll containers.. Is this job very physical and how many hours are you needing to work per day to get your stops done..

It looks like most stores are gonna be hard to get in to, let alone get turned around. I understand you will get used to it though.

Pls reply, I'm giving them my decision on monday.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Even with the rolltainers, the freight is still floor to ceiling (lots of cases crammed onto the tops of the rolltainers and requires mostly finger printing, the empty rolltainers from the are stores are then collected and have to be strapped into the trailers. If you have a backhaul, you have to unload all of your empties out of you trailer and into another trailer before you can load. trailers are pretty junky, the maintenance is thoroughly done by blind chimps who are obviously missing most of their opposable thumbs. The loads are sometimes VERY late! lots of waiting and of course no compensation for that.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Board Regular

I will be getting onto U.S. Xpress D.G. Account soon and this is what the U.S.X drivers on the account have told me: 1)You have to help with the unloading. The heaviest things in the trailers are usually big bags of dog food. They said it is not to bad because the containers make it alot easier. The containers are pretty much giant shopping carts. 2) You will be going into some pretty tight spaces. Alot of the time the company will give you a trailer that is already been beat up that way when you go to the dock if you bump it its not a really big deal. 3) For U.S.X. the Dollar General is the highest paying out of all the dedicated accounts. The amount varies depending on how hard and much you run. We have guys bringing in $1500 a week running from Ohio to N.Y 3 times a week. 4) Hometime is better on the D.G accounts. Expect to get home once or twice through the week and usually every other weekend.

I have talked to Hogan and Werner drivers that also have D.G. accounts and most of them are happy with it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

The only docks that you will see for DG will be at the DC's and you are not allowed to touch trailers at the docks. The trailers have liftgates that are in various states of disrepair, the rolltainers are usually overloaded and pretty hard to control, it is VERY difficult to get the rolltainers out onto the lifts without dropping them or having them roll off of the liftgates, destroying them and the product in the process. lots of danger involved. The drops pay decent, but its really hard work and lots of people are injured. The reason that they came up with this loonie plan was to save money on the labor for the DG employees. Do not expect help at the stores, because most DG employees are old ladies. :shock:
Old 04-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
The only docks that you will see for DG will be at the DC's and you are not allowed to touch trailers at the docks. The trailers have liftgates that are in various states of disrepair, the rolltainers are usually overloaded and pretty hard to control, it is VERY difficult to get the rolltainers out onto the lifts without dropping them or having them roll off of the liftgates, destroying them and the product in the process. lots of danger involved. The drops pay decent, but its really hard work and lots of people are injured. The reason that they came up with this loonie plan was to save money on the labor for the DG employees. Do not expect help at the stores, because most DG employees are old ladies. :shock:
I see those guys pushing very heavy rolltainers across rough, busted-up asphalt parking lots. Doesn't look like alot of fun - especially in wintertime going across ice and snow. And sometimes they even have to lug em' up a ramp as well. I deliver a few cartons 2-3 times per week to DG stores and I have a hard time manuevering around some of those places with a day-cab and a small pup trailer - no way would I want to tackle some of those stores in a sleeper truck with a 53' trailer. One of the DGs is a very tight blindside back off a busy 2-lane road. The poles and dumpsters around those places are all bent and scraped-up with red-and-white US Xpress paint.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Board Regular

This is what I wanted to see, down to earth real world advice
Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Rookie

well, as a current driver pulling for dollar general i can tell you it sure has its moments of frustrations as many of the other replies have mentioned. i
have a really tough time when it comes to pushing a heavy rolltainer of dogfood or beverages/water/clorox/can goods up a steep ramp or uneven
surface. some days i really enjoy my job when all the stores are as they are called EZ Stores with all the right elements, even surface, clean storeroom, cooperative store managers, room to maneuver your trailer. then on some days i hate it and don't know how long i'll stay as i am getting to old for this type of physical strain on my body. the company i drive for pays fairly good but could use some improvement when it comes to $ paid for unloading trailers. i wish you goodluck and if there are any more specific questions i can help with let me know.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrvr27
well, as a current driver pulling for dollar general i can tell you it sure has its moments of frustrations as many of the other replies have mentioned. i
have a really tough time when it comes to pushing a heavy rolltainer of dogfood or beverages/water/clorox/can goods up a steep ramp or uneven
surface. some days i really enjoy my job when all the stores are as they are called EZ Stores with all the right elements, even surface, clean storeroom, cooperative store managers, room to maneuver your trailer. then on some days i hate it and don't know how long i'll stay as i am getting to old for this type of physical strain on my body. the company i drive for pays fairly good but could use some improvement when it comes to $ paid for unloading trailers. i wish you goodluck and if there are any more specific questions i can help with let me know.
I have 7 months experience, I've seen the dollar generals, I know first starting I will get very crappy stores... Well thats how I imagine it works. Do go to the same stores all the time, rotate or what, how does that work. It would be nice if it were the same stores each week but I imagine its not. Where do you park to take your 10 hour break? At the stores?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Rookie

well, you might not be givin the most desired loads on your first few trips but they will come once you have proven yourself. i've only been driving since september 06 and pulling dollar general since december 06 and the one thing i feel is that it sure has been making a better driver out of me with all the unique backing situations we are faced with at these stores. as
for where to park for your 10 hr break, it can be right there at the store or to any location you have remaining time to drive to, though i will say that most truck stops i have found that if you dont get there by at least
say 6:00 pm or sometimes earlier you might not get a spot to park. many times i have stayed parked at the store because it was convenient not having to move and many stores are located next to places to get a bite to eat. i have learned to manage my 14 hr work days very well because some loads will have you delivering to 4 to 5 stores in a day.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Rookie

i forgot to answer about same stores or not. well, my experience is that i have delivered to some of the same stores on occasion but each week will vary and just basically depends on your dispatcher. though your company may run things differently than Werner? good thing for us is that if you have family you can generally get home every week and alot of times during the weekends, by the end of the week your 70 hrs will be gone and you will have to reset your 70 by taking a 34 hr break and our
dispatchers tell us to reset at home unless you just want to stay out, which will not really benefit you but rather wear you down.