User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default getting started

ok i am starting school in the next week i wanted to know is there anyway to make 800 to 1000 a week and still be home on the weekends? Any companies out there that hire newbies that can make that much? and What would be some great companies to work for? I know my uncle liked PTL out of Missouri. Just wanting some good info I have a family would like to be home at least 3 out of 4 weeks and would like to make at least 800 to a 1000 a week take home pay. ANY HELP?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Board Regular

Your best bet at making $$ and getting home often will be with flatbed companies like TMC and Maverick. You definitely won't get what you want at PTL. Also, where do you live?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Your best bet at making $$ and getting home often will be with flatbed companies like TMC and Maverick. You definitely won't get what you want at PTL. Also, where do you live?
And you will work your ass off for what amounts to a little more then a freight hauler makes.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Board Regular

True, you will work more doing flatbed. But, most dry van companies start newbies off at less than .32 cpm. Which means you will need to run over 3,200 miles a week to see a $800+ paycheck. Turning that number of miles and getting home on weekends is going to be real tough.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Rookie
Default hmm

I live in Michigan but i am willing to go out 2 weeks at a time as well but i want to do that like 1 time a month i know it is hard as a new guy out there with no exp. But, I want to go all the way to O/O and get my hazmat withing 3 years. I would just love to see my family more than one time a month. My uncles were truckers for 30 years and made great money (back when it was all paper and you had 3 log books) but a lot has changed now most companies monitor your driving and hours on the road no more long 24 hour hauls. Flat bed you say? does that pay well? Or I would like a company that can give me like 2500 miles a week or more. Anything that would pay well I know i am new and i know there are a lot of pro's out there that can help me on the right path to my career.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Add PGT to that list.

That's who I went with (out of B'ham, AL) and feel I made a good choice so far.

Best bet starting out is to leave expectations at home. Only know that trucking is a HARD life with a lot to get accustomed to and the better your attitude in the beginning the faster it gets easier...

Go with who you're heart says is right and go in with the attitude that you're there to learn...the money will come.

Good luck to ya!
-Dave
Old 03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Rookie

your right i don't expect a lot i just want to provide for my family and going on the road all those years with my uncles i know how life is out there did it every summer for 5 years and i know i can handle leaving my family for a small amount of time as long as i can provide for them thats all i want. I don't want to go out and only bring home 400 a week i can do that right here at home thats like 12 an hour i want in for the long haul. I know 1200 is possible after a few years and O/O pay is a lot better and thats what i want to work up to
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Rookie
Default trucking

BTW what is like an average pay for a rookie starting out? And is it possible to take home $500 a week?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdogg201
BTW what is like an average pay for a rookie starting out? And is it possible to take home $500 a week?
Average pay for a rookie can vary greatly dependent upon the company, how much hometime you want and most importantly, how hard you are willing to work.

It's a broad range, but I would say expect anywhere from 35K - 50K first year. It really will depend upon a lot of things. Take home pay will vary based upon deductions, etc. also. I would think that you should be able to pull in over 500/week just about anywhere. I don't see why anyone would do it for that let alone less than that. If you figure 2200 miles @ 32 cpm that's $704/wk (gross) and you should be able to easily do that kind of miles with any carrier.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

TMC will get you anywhere from $45,000-$60,000 per year your FIRST year, home on the weekends, good benefits (Blue Cross Blue Shield) Medical/Dental/Vision, and 401K. Not to mention one of the best looking (inside and out) trucks on the road. Call me anytime if you have any questions.