User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default question about dump trailer driving...

So I am in the process of looking for work near the homestead to get me off of the road and back with the wife and little boy...well there have been a few job openings for dump drivers...dump trailers mostly...well when i call them they say my experience on the road doesnt matter...i need experience with dumps to be able to work for them......How does one go about getting experience doing such things if no one will let you get near one...I can understand it to a certain extent, but on the other hand I just dont see how you can ever get any experience if no one lets you...I know its a way different kind of work...but I have been out here running thousands of miles in a vehicle that often weighs 75-80,000 pounds in every kind of weather and traffic situation imaginable, in hills mountains, cities, flat lands.....Just seems to me a person that has been an OTR driver could pick up that skill pretty easily given the chance. Just one of those frustrating things. Its hard to see good jobs right in your backyard that you cant touch.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

They don't want to train you. If you want to drive dumps, you'll have to find somebody willing to train you.

I've never done anything with dumps myself, but dump buckets and concrete mixers operate in similar environments. I tried my hand at the whole concrete thing for a short while, and when I went in there, everybody told me "All your years of experience don't mean $h!+ around here buddy."

They were right. Driving in mud, on crazy steep hills, crawling around in the deep reduction side of granny low, trying not to run over dozens of Mexicans darting all around you, oblivious to your presence, driving waaaaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere on dirt roads... All that job has in common with driving OTR are three pedals and a steering wheel.

I imagine dumps are more like concrete than they are like OTR, so there's probably something to what they're telling you about you not having any usable experience.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Rookie

I just ended my 2 year stint with a company that has about 1000 end dumps. It's not the driving part they are worried about. It's the fact that you can tip them, or if you don't look at what's above you put your trailer in power lines, or the bottom of a bridge, so on, so on. My company does take new drivers withhout dump experience though, in fact I was one of their trainers. These were 39' frameless end dumps and daycab trucks. We hauled anything you could put in the trailers.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Board Regular

A lot of guys will start out by driving a dump truck and then going to a dump trailer. The dump truck is more stable and you will learn how to drive off road so when you go to a dump trailer you're not completely lost.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 AM

Fair enough on all replies there, Like i said, I kind of understand their thinking...just frustrating...Now a question for you that said you have experience with similar jobs for my own personal curiosity....do you think it would be easier to take a brand new driver and train them on such a job or an experienced driver that knows how to drive a truck but is used to doing things a certain way out on the road....the way it sounds, it almost seems that it would be easier to train a new driver into it.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
the way it sounds, it almost seems that it would be easier to train a new driver into it.
I'd definitely agree, and I think my former employer would agree too. They were really reluctant to hire me, and it turned out they were 100% right on the money. I didn't hack it. I went right back into something kind of similar to what I was used to, and I'm still not entirely convinced I won't wind up going all the way back to hauling bedroom furniture again.

I'd say the same applies just as much for the guys who drive class A hauling beer or soft drinks or something. It's just a whole different culture. I don't think they're ex-OTR guys for the most part. All class A drivers aren't cut of the same cloth.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Board Regular

Your best bet is to start in a dump truck like the other poster said, dump trailer is very dangerous because if you are not level you will roll over when dumping, i've seen it first hand and it is not a pretty sight. Not to mention it is very different trying to get to your pick ups and dump sites and you have to be able to manuver off road with out tearing the truck up, which is hard to do if you are only used to driving on paved roads.

Try a tri-axle first and then step up to a dump trailer would be my advice.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Rookie

nice screenname to start there...lol well all the above post said pretty much eveything you need to know. I would say another big factor is how busy construction companies are. I know up here in MN odds are slim of finding a busy comany right now. You may have too wait a few years till more houses are being built ie: more dirt too be moved. When I started in a the dirt was 3 years ago when new houses were still selling like crazy. just input from me.. it would be nice if there was one eay answer.