User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default dui and references

HI im looking into gettting a cdl going to a school (NJ)etc. I have possible problems that may inhibit prohibit employment, and thought I'd ask here. in the past i had drinking problems and had in fact 3 dui's the last being in 1995. I also had mostly, not all, but mostly 1 employer for 16 years that will NOT verify employment, company policy.

My question, should i give up on the idea of CDL school because i would unlikely get employment or what do you think? thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Your w-2 will varify employment and your referances and a notorized letter that you swear to in front of a JP. 3 DWI"s is your problem to overcome. Run your own background check and get your DMV record first. Take it from there. Good luck
Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

first start calling companies and see if you can find any that will hire you (more than three need to say yes) BEFORE you start looking at going to school
Old 04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Why dont you people READ, he told you the last DWI was in 1995, hell thats 12 yrs ago. No problem driver, most companys will only ask about the last 5 to 10 yrs. When they ask how many in the last 10 years say "NONE" You have paid your dues, start looking!!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Why dont you people READ, he told you the last DWI was in 1995, hell thats 12 yrs ago. No problem driver, most companys will only ask about the last 5 to 10 yrs. When they ask how many in the last 10 years say "NONE" You have paid your dues, start looking!!!!
A few ask "have you EVER had a DUI or Reckless" Just avoid them.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
A few ask "have you EVER had a DUI or Reckless" Just avoid them.

If they ask you, " have you ever " say yea but I have done what I had to do to see this never happens again, and if they still dont want you, then YOU dont need THEM!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Rookie

actually i think i should add, that although my last dwi was in 1995, i only just started driving again (restored) a year ago.

So i guess that really is my most problematic question. will they look and say "ok no problem the last conviction was nearly 12 years ago" or will they say "heck he's only got one year clean driving since a 3rd dui conviction!"

at mid-age i find myself both unemployed, unskilled, and largely uneducated. Needless to say i quit drinking many years ago but thats not something i can really prove. I'd really like to get into this field,
The schools recruiter, i was considering Smith&Solomon, doesnt see it as a problem but how do i know thats not just a sales pitch.

i saw a couple other national schools specify that any more than 1 conviction of dui on your life history and your disqualified. ITs what mostly prompted this post, and some added frenzied research on this subject, and sort thrown a wrench into my study for the written which i was gonna take SOON.

I Just cant afford to plunk down the $$ for training if decent employment is unlikely/such a long shot.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Rookie

This is from the USDOT. This is why I sugested you run your licenses first before applying. Some states keep bad records. Read away...

Applicants for an initial CDL, and those transferring or renewing a CDL, must provide state driver licensing agency personnel with the name of all states where previously licensed for the past ten years to drive any type of motor vehicle, allowing state officials to obtain an applicant's complete driving record. The final rule limits this record check to CDL drivers initially renewing their license after the effective date of this rulemaking.
States must maintain a CDL driver-history record noting an individual's convictions for state or local motor-vehicle traffic-control laws while operating any type of motor vehicle. Information on these convictions and other licensing actions must be kept a minimum of three years. Disqualifying offenses range from three years to life.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Board Regular

Agreed, get a copy of your COMPLETE driving record before you apply for a job or pay for schooling. The companies that you apply to are going to pull your records, so it benefits you to know what they know or don't know if you are lucky.

Once you know where you stand, you can apply to multiple companies on classadrivers.com. And yes you can do this even though you dont a cdl yet. Send out your application to 10-15 companies and see what type of responses you get back. You only have to fill out one application because the computer will store your information for future use. Best of Luck 2 you.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Instead of paying for training out of pocket, you could always go with one of the cdl-mill training companies like Swift or CR England, you would be starting at the bottom but ya gotta start somewhere.

If you get rejected due to your past at least you wouldn't have paid money for training you can't use. Best of luck.