User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I have truck driving questions......looking for answers

I am considering becoming a driver. Here is who I am and what I am looking for.

40 year old white male, wife and two kids. Non smoker in good general health. Located in Atlanta Georgia. I do not have a CDL and would need to get one. I have been self employed in real estate for the past ten years and up until the past year have done well at it. As you may know, the real estate market is in the tank right now and I am on the road to having financial trouble. I am not there yet but I thought it better to be proactive rather then reactive.

I am looking for a situation whereby I can be teamed up with another driver. I am thinking this way because a team can cover more miles and make more money weekly. Is it possible for me to find a company that will teach me to drive, match me with another driver and put me in a position where I, not us, can earn $700 to $1000 per week? I do have two small children that I would like to see on a regular basis....like every weekend. I have heard that there are companies out there that allow you to drive for a week, take a week off, drive for a week, take a week off and so on.

Is there a job out there for me? Are the trucking companies willing to work with drivers like me? Can I drive for a good company, make decent money and still have a family life? I need some feedback from you folks here in the group.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Just from your post and info, I'll go out on a limb and tell ya up front that trucking would be a huge disappointment and probably would lead you to a quicker financial demise. Start cutting things back now and start lowering your living costs and keep your home life and your life with your children. If you are going to do this and especially team, I'd look towards the union teams pulling linehaul out of Atlanta, at least you be paid decently and you'll be on a regular schedule.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Go with a LTL, any LTL will be better then OTR and you will make good money. Old Dominion train's, so do others.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Hi

About 2 years ago I was in the same spot. I got my CDL and found out that I now had a trade!

I also wanted to run team, in order to make more green. I prayed hard, met a nice guy at school, and we teamed up. Just like any other work place, you will meet some nice people in school. We got lucky and got a job at Old Dominion (which is an LTL carrier). We make 1k to 1200 a week on a regular basis running team. It can be done.

Just get that CDL!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Board Regular

i mean i'm happy that you're white and all, but what does that have to do with anything?

2) Your second mistake is wanting and/or thinking running team can get your more $$$. In a lot of cases it won't bring anymore money but it will ruin your health.

i'll see what i can do for you as far as suggestions, but i got my own battles to take care of right now because i'm looking for a gig as well.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
i mean i'm happy that you're white and all, but what does that have to do with anything?

2) Your second mistake is wanting and/or thinking running team can get your more $$$. In a lot of cases it won't bring anymore money but it will ruin your health.

i'll see what i can do for you as far as suggestions, but i got my own battles to take care of right now because i'm looking for a gig as well.
Keep looking. One day, it will come to ya. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Board Regular

Get a (trucking or non-trucking) job where you can be home with your kids. On the weekends isn't enough.

-p.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
If you read this in context, it sounds like he's only describing the situation in detail. I don't believe he's trying to imply anything, unlike you. :roll:
Old 03-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Board Regular

Did you just do local real estate or was there already traveling involved? If you were making good percentage on sales you may want to really look at the income for starting out, and even after so much time into this business for some...........don't know very many truck drivers with big mansions.......If you have researched all and are sure this is what you want to do and will work for you and your family, I'll wish you the best that you find what it is you're looking for in a company..there are so many companies out there just be careful and take your time don't jump into something without really going into the pros/cons of it all Those kiddos will only be little for a little while, trucking will always be around, don't know just how small yours are now or how much you've been able to be around so far with em but just something to think about..alot of places starting out you aren't going to get home as often as you might like to if you have someone there waiting for you...........
Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I have truck driving questions......looking for answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAtlanta
I have been self employed in real estate for the past ten years and up until the past year have done well at it.
Funny. My current boss has been trucking for 20+ years, and is trying to get into real estsate so he can hang it up.
Quote:
I am looking for a situation whereby I can be teamed up with another driver. I am thinking this way because a team
Team + family life = does not compute. Teams run, and run, and run, and run, and run, and run, and run, and run, and then they run.
Quote:
can earn $700 to $1000 per week?
I earn $846 a week home every night, off Sunday, and most Saturdays. Could I have gotten this gig as a rookie? Not likely. I made $650/wk. at my last job, and would gladly go back.
Quote:
I do have two small children that I would like to see on a regular basis....like every weekend.
Home every weekend can be a reality if you go with a dedicated regional carrier that is truly serious about getting people home on weekends. Finding one is a trick. Home on weekends means most of the weekend. If you have kids, and you actually care about them, you need to do better.

I did better for 10 years. I had a job where I only worked four days a week, and had three off, plus time during the week. It was really 3.5 on and 3.5 off, averaged out. Loved that job. I leave a bag of flaming dog doo doo on their doorstep every week for laying all of us off. Effing bean counters. Eff you Don.
Quote:
I have heard that there are companies out there that allow you to drive for a week, take a week off, drive for a week, take a week off and so on.
I've been hearing that for 10 years. I've never found one. You are not very likely to find anything like that as a rookie.

If I were you, I'd take my chances in the real estate market. Like the others said, start paring your expenses now, and figure out how little you can live on.

Once you start this crap, you'll never stop. I love trucking, and I despise trucking.