User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hey all, quick question.

I will be attending a vocational college down here in TN since they offer CDL training. It's 8 weeks and 217 hours, but it says this in the admissions section: "Applicants must provide a current D.O.T. physical form and card as copy of their motor vehicle record prior to being placed on the waiting list."

Where do I get this stuff? local court house? Thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Check with your doctor if he/she can do the DOT physical. If not check with places like Urgent Care, they are usualy located near hospitals for people that need medical attention but don't quite need the ER. They can also do a drug test.

You can get a copy of your motor vehicle report at your local DMV or driver's license office
Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Rookie

goooogle DOT physical examination. print out the pdf form. schedule an appointment with a doctor making sure they know it's for a CDL. As for Motor vehicle record, check with your secretary of state office or DMV. For a fee, they'll get you one. If you have any accidents, you may want to get a copy of the police report from the local municipality also. For what it's worth... I disclosed that i routinely had a nitecap, and was denied a license until i got some counseling. I'm doing better thanks for asking. Good luck in school.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member

STOP! Before proceeding, have you found a job or at least have been pre-hired though more than a couple of trucking companies? Get yourself cleared to WORK before getting all involved in a school.

This is all too common with new folks, they get all wound up about school and forget to see if they can even work...

You can get the forms for the physical at the DMV or license branch or whatever they call it where you live.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you have a Tennessee license, you can go to any Highway Patrol office that does testing for licenses and get a copy of your MVR. A copy of your MVR should cost about $7. Some of the private walk in clinics can do the DOT physicals. You can call them and ask. If you are in good health, have a clean MVR and criminal history, you should not have any problems getting on with a carrier, as long as you pass your schooling. A DOT physical should run about $40-60.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Rookie

thanks for the info!! Well my record is clean as can be, no wrecks, pull overs, nothing. I'm physically in good shape, 29, former military. So I don't see any reason why I would be denied the chance to work. I haven't talked to any carriers yet, because from what I've read on here, it's best to get a cdl from a school instead of a "carrier/school" thing. So that is why I have chose that route.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols07
thanks for the info!! Well my record is clean as can be, no wrecks, pull overs, nothing. I'm physically in good shape, 29, former military. So I don't see any reason why I would be denied the chance to work. I haven't talked to any carriers yet, because from what I've read on here, it's best to get a cdl from a school instead of a "carrier/school" thing. So that is why I have chose that route.
That's true to a point, the problem is that there are LOT of people who think that they are clean as whistles and some strange things "pop up". I say this also because those who have choices AFTER they get out of training are more calm AND it speeds the transition when you leave the school for training with your choice of company. You have already been cleared, background checked and you are already in the carrier's "system". It's one less thing to worry about when you are training.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Rookie

yeah I see what you mean...sorta. I guess I should have said "I'm planning on attending school" instead of "I'm about to attend." I noticed those requirements in the Admittance rules about the DoT form and Record and put on the brakes until I figured out (from your guys' help) where to get those things.

As for getting pre-hired..I'm sorry I'm confused on that part of your reply. You mean background checks and all that? I'd be fine on that. But do you mean actually calling carriers up before I attend school? I guess I'm just approaching it like I would when applying a normal job..get the training, THEN call carriers. I mean, other than the carriers that ship you off and train you, I didn't think any carriers would even be interested in me until I at least got the license first. I just need a checklist I guess lol..1. Do this 2. then do this 3. THEN do this..etc. I drove in the military but its been 7 years ago, and other than driving a spot truck at a local job a couple of years ago..that's been about it.

I'm just over 8/hr jobs around here. Got a family to support, even if that means at a distance.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
As for getting pre-hired..I'm sorry I'm confused on that part of your reply. You mean background checks and all that? I'd be fine on that. But do you mean actually calling carriers up before I attend school?
YES! For most training fleets they are ready to answer your questions and process your applications.

Quote:
I guess I'm just approaching it like I would when applying a normal job..get the training, THEN call carriers. I mean, other than the carriers that ship you off and train you, I didn't think any carriers would even be interested in me until I at least got the license first.
These fleets are competing for people right now and have been for a while. By calling these companies (more than one preferably) you are getting set up for when you get your CDL. It beats going through the schooling and then waiting to hear back from carriers and all the paperwork and such. You can have a start date with a company before you even graduate. There is no "penalty" for not having a CDL at that time. You just make the start date later. The day after you graduate from school would you like to THEN start a job search or already have a bus or plane ticket in your hands?

Quote:
I just need a checklist I guess lol..1. Do this 2. then do this 3. THEN do this..etc. I drove in the military but its been 7 years ago, and other than driving a spot truck at a local job a couple of years ago..that's been about it.
Well, that's really where a lot of people start out. The carriers are looking for people who can basically see out of the truck, stay in their lane and is relatively comfortable in the truck.

Quote:
I'm just over 8/hr jobs around here. Got a family to support, even if that means at a distance.
Well, just don't start adding up how much the run of the mill OTR guy is making compared to the hours they put in.. :P

Just trying to get you too get your name out there and be ready for a quicker transition from school to actually being paid at a company. I've seen far too many folks wait till they are out of school and then get screwed around and darn near starve to death before they get out and running.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Rookie

Go ahead and fill out the application on this site and see what happens, They have 140 some companies they can run your info through and they will get in touch with you, they might even offer to pay for the schooling