User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The real truth on swift

Can anyone out there give it to me straight. I don't have the money for school to get out on my own and know that if I go with swift I'm locked in with them for a year or so. I'm willing to work hard and do the miles to make the money. Can I Make real money with them and are they a good stepping stone? Also I'll probably want to transfer in a year to North Carolina is this possible?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Rookie

Also I was looking into A.I.T here in Arizona. The school is monday- friday. I told them I would just work on the weekends. They said you cant work while you go to school DOT rules. Is this true?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 PM

I think that's bogus. I looked into 2 schools and Tucson and they both had days, weekends or night classes.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1broncofan
Also I was looking into A.I.T here in Arizona. The school is monday- friday. I told them I would just work on the weekends.
Quote:
They said you cant work while you go to school DOT rules.
Is this true?
Bull :dung:
Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Also I was looking into A.I.T here in Arizona. The school is monday- friday. I told them I would just work on the weekends. They said you cant work while you go to school DOT rules. Is this true?
Where they are coming from is the Hours of Service rules that say you can not drive on a public roadway after having been on duty more than 60 hours in 7 days, which I assume is the rule they are using if they are only offering classes 5 days per week. If they have classes 7 days a week (ie weekend course) then they could do the 70 hours in 8 days.

Now on duty time is any type of paid work and it does not matter if it is in or out of the trucking industry.

Now then, on the 60/7 rule you can work 8.5 hours a day, every day and never be in violation. On the 70/8 rule you can work 8.75 hours a day every day and never be in any type of violation.

Now then, I am not sure if they are correct, as far as AZ is concerned, about the HOS rules actually applying to a student, non-liscenced driver, in a class setting, but that is the only thing that I can think of that they are concerned about.

So if class and the weekend work comes out to less than the totals I gave you then you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise do what you have to do and while in school just do not say anything.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Board Regular

Your first post said you dont have money for school, then you come back saying youre looking at AIT. AIT isn't one of the more cheaper schools out there.

As far as Swift is concerned, you aren't locked into anything. If you go to their school you owe them $3900. You pay $150 a month, they pay $150 (tuition reimbursement) a month for 13 months, at which time your school is paid in full. You paid half, Swift paid half. If you stay on past 13 months they will continue to pay you $150 for 13 more months. So, after 26 months total you will have paid nothing for the CDL. For some, due to lack of money and no credit to finance an independent school, is the only way to break into the business. Don't confuse this with being locked into working for Swift for any set time, as it isn't the case. You can leave Swift any time you want. Just keep in mind that they will expect you to pay the remaining balance when you leave. You are not locked into anything, other than what you owe for school. This is no different than if you owed a finance company for going to AIT. Either way, school is not free.

Some people like Swift, other don't. Some say they get great miles, other say they don't. I doubt you'll get a straight answer here about that. Best to read all the posts about Swift, from current drivers, and decide if you can deal with them for a year. If so, do your time, keep your nose clean, and look for a better paying gig when the time is right.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Jest like N.Jim said :wink:
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
Where they are coming from is the Hours of Service rules that say you can not drive on a public roadway after having been on duty more than 60 hours in 7 days, which I assume is the rule they are using if they are only offering classes 5 days per week. If they have classes 7 days a week (ie weekend course) then they could do the 70 hours in 8 days.

Now on duty time is any type of paid work and it does not matter if it is in or out of the trucking industry.

Now then, on the 60/7 rule you can work 8.5 hours a day, every day and never be in violation. On the 70/8 rule you can work 8.75 hours a day every day and never be in any type of violation.

Now then, I am not sure if they are correct, as far as AZ is concerned, about the HOS rules actually applying to a student, non-liscenced driver, in a class setting, but that is the only thing that I can think of that they are concerned about.

So if class and the weekend work comes out to less than the totals I gave you then you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise do what you have to do and while in school just do not say anything.

The class is 40 hrs a week. My job will be about 16 so I should be fine then. Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Your first post said you dont have money for school, then you come back saying youre looking at AIT. AIT isn't one of the more cheaper schools out there.

As far as Swift is concerned, you aren't locked into anything. If you go to their school you owe them $3900. You pay $150 a month, they pay $150 (tuition reimbursement) a month for 13 months, at which time your school is paid in full. You paid half, Swift paid half. If you stay on past 13 months they will continue to pay you $150 for 13 more months. So, after 26 months total you will have paid nothing for the CDL. For some, due to lack of money and no credit to finance an independent school, is the only way to break into the business. Don't confuse this with being locked into working for Swift for any set time, as it isn't the case. You can leave Swift any time you want. Just keep in mind that they will expect you to pay the remaining balance when you leave. You are not locked into anything, other than what you owe for school. This is no different than if you owed a finance company for going to AIT. Either way, school is not free.

Some people like Swift, other don't. Some say they get great miles, other say they don't. I doubt you'll get a straight answer here about that. Best to read all the posts about Swift, from current drivers, and decide if you can deal with them for a year. If so, do your time, keep your nose clean, and look for a better paying gig when the time is right.

Tha reason Im looking into AIT is because they are PTDI certified. I would have more options on which company I could go with. I dont have the cash but could finance, either way Im paying someone back.

Do companies look at swift schooling the same as they would an AIT or PTDI certified school. Like if I went to swift just for the school then left after the six weeks with a trainer. Would I be able to get hired as if I just went to AIT?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member