User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Some Stupid Questions....maybe

Being new to all this and not having read the entire forum, these may have been asked in the past.

With all the variety of truck/sleepers out there which type would y'all vets recommend for being out on the road for several weeks?
1. Flat tops
2. Mid-roof.
3. Condo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do y'all think of the lease/purchase plans so many companies have?
When I first got hitched in 1978 I looked into an Irving,Texas based carrier that's no longer around.I did the math and figured that by the end of the run I'd break even at best after making the truck payment,fuel,permits,insurance,etc.
So I got an inside job instead.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went across country in a 1973 GMC Astro way back in 1977.
Drove a little of it,illegal of course.The darn itch still hasn't left.
It was a lot of fun and I had a great time playing truck driver.The only problem I had was the passenger seat was stationary and my ass got numb and I missed the step at a truck stop in Flagstaff and fell on the pavement. :lol:
Old 03-03-2007, 03:55 PM

To answer your first question I would go with either the mid-roof or condo sleeper if you are planning to running for weeks at a time. The flat-top will not have enough room for the gear you will end up carrying with you out there on the road. Also spending that kind of time on the road you want to be able to stand up and sterch out when you get stopped.

Now the lease/purchase idea. Do not, and I repeat, do not do the lease purchase deal with any company. When you are a L/P operator, you are a company driver with all the exspense of a O/O. The companies get a driver and a truck that they do not have to pay for. If you want to be a O/O go out get some experience under your belt and then go out and buy a truck outside the company.

I am sure that GMAN and a few other of the guys on here will have some advice for you that I have over looked. Pay close attention to GMAN as I have said in other post I have never seen him give any bad advice.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Rookie
Default Yepppp

KnightWolf said it all. Only thing I would add is if you think of taking along a rider, go with condo, otherwise stick to mid roof.

As for O/O and L/P, you have to consider, every time you take a few days of or say a week, your truck bills are still in play and waiting for you. Example, Lease payment of 300/week plus any licenses, fees plus a trailer rental is possible of 165/week. You are close to 600 in debt when you go back to work. As O/O you have those debts as well, but have the month to collect them and have full say of where your maintenance money goes.

My advise is any driver new to the industry spend a minimum of two years learning to control his finances, getting familiar with all expenses related to O/O, the differences in Leasing to a company or on authority, and then sit with a financial adviser who specializes in the industry (OOIDA is a good resource) and get their opinion if it is right for you at that moment in your personal situation.

After spending the last 16 years as a O/O, I just returned to company driver for Maverick. It was a decision based on what was appropriate for my current situation and after alot of thought, gathering of opinions and advise of my financial adviser. Good luck with what you decide, but make the decision well educated.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Rookie

Well condo of course cause the more room the better. Lease purchase programs in my opinion are no good. Lots of people talk bad about England's lease to own so I would stay away from them. I did the math based on swifts lease program you will make out the same as a company driver without all the headaches of owning your own truck. My opinion if you are going to purchase your own truck get your own authority cause you can make more money and get more home time that way. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Condo, must have...... anything else is cramping your style,

as for lease purchase everyone on here just repeats the bullsh!t they all hear from people who never leased a truck.. i know several lease operators and they have no trouble and make at least double or 3 times what I make as a company driver.. most companies pay alot of the stuff a O/O pays, like your base plate and insurance and they even set up a maintenance fund , pay for all your permits and give you a fuel surcharge.. its a chance to buy a truck without a credit check and after the 20 months you own the truck and can take it to any company and lease on with them or go on your own authority... which going on your own is a whole other story which a O/O can explain, I know several drivers who bought a truck through these programs and then move to another company, I see people all the time leasing their truck to a company rather than going on their own.... you need to talk to real owners that got into one of these programs and you will get the real story.. don't listen to people who think they might know because they heard about it....
Old 03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for all the great replies!
Y'all are wealth of info!

I know the sleeper ??? was a gimme,but I just had to sak anyway,just in case ya know.Nothing worse than a knowitall greenhorn....don't they just chap yer hide??? :lol: :lol: I know some young fellas that are know it alls....one of them rode my horse and was looking for the brake pedal with his foot in the stirrup!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now for another question.....CB Radios...........What do y'all suggest?
I've been cruzing ebay and looking around.
I forgot to ask my Cuz last night and he's back on the road now.
I hate to eat up his cell minutes on stupid stuff.I mean trivial things.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to the forum, jayburd. I may as well add my 2 cents on the subject. The type of truck or sleeper you get should depend on what you pull. A flat top or mid roof is usually the best choice for flats or steps. The only way I would have a condo is if I always pulled a van around or running team. It might help to deflect some wind resistance around the box you are pulling. Otherwise, it is a waste of space and way too much wind resistance. I prefer the mid roof for all around use.

We have discussed these fleece purchase deals offered by many carriers on a number of occasions. You may want to do a search. I and others have looked a these programs and have yet to see one that makes sense for the driver. The numbers simply don't add up. If you cannot afford a down payment to buy a truck, stay a company driver until you can. These fleece programs prey on those who have poor credit and little experience. You will rarely find an experienced driver who will fall for one of these scams. And that is basically what they are. By the time you add all of the extra charges up you can pay as much as $800 per week for a truck you will likely never own. That doesn't include fuel, maintenance and other costs of operating a truck. You will make MORE money as a company driver than falling for one of these scams. They really should be illegal.

If you want to become an owner operator, find a company where you can get a couple of years driving experience while you save your money for a good down payment. If your credit needs work, that will give you some time to get things in good shape. There are no true shortcuts to becoming a successful owner operator. In well over 30 years around this business I have only met 2 people who have completed one of these programs and gotten a truck. Frankly, I don't think that is a good track record. There is nothing wrong with being a company driver. I have known some over the years who have done very well without all of the responsibilities of owning the truck. I am not trying to discourage you from buying a truck or becoming an owner operator, but it isn't the only way to do well in trucking.

As far as CB's are concerned, it depends on what you want to do with the radio. Many of us keep them low or turned off most of the time because of all the trash on the radio. You can find some good radio's for less than $100. A Cobra 19 or 29 are good radios as are the Uniden 78. If you decide that you want a bigger radio, you can always buy something bigger. I still had a Cobra 19 that I had for many years until last year. I bought it new for $35 with an antenna. The mic went out and it was going to cost more to buy a new mic than the radio was worth, so I finally broke down and bought a new radio. You can spend $300 or more on a radio, but it isn't necessary and for the most part is a waste of money. Most of those radios need a license, anyway. The Cobra 29 is probably the most popular with most drivers. The Cobra is a good basic radio which will do the same thing for less money. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

If I was buying a truck today I'd buy a mid-roof with a wind deflector. I've driven all three and owned a condo. Biggest advantage of the mid-roof is weight. The tractor will weight slightly less which allows you to haul heavier freight. Which becomes a factor with some types of freight.

As to Lease Purchase I say NO WAY. While there are some that succeed but the large majority fail. If you can't make the down payment and pass a credit check for the balance your chances of failure has gone up. In addition to the down payment you should have a line of credit with your bank to cover major expenses or have reserve cash in hand to pay these expenses.

There have been many lawsuits filed attempting to recover money held by companies when one of these Lease Purchase deal went bad.

The way the laws are written some expenses must be paid by the company. But in even these cases you are better off paying them when they come due rather than allow the company hold your funds.

One thing most lease operators don't think of is if you end your lease, either my you are the company, you no longer can drive the truck until you get a temporary permit. I've been there done that.

As many have said get a few years experience before you even consider buying your own truck. Learn everything you can about trucking. Study accounting if you don't already have a solid understanding. Get a good understanding on maintenance on big trucks. Know how to fix the minor problem yourself.

One last major point is have your lawyer read any lease BEFORE you sign it. If the company won't send you a copy don't walk RUN from that company. In respect to a lawyer find one that knows trucking laws not a run of the mill general lawyer.

There are just a few things you need to know about the trucking industry.

kc0iv
Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

New or Used, thats my queestion for Gman ?????, I know yo can get a new truck like what I am driving, a stripped down freightliner and FFE paid $144,000 for it, sure its a new company truck but what would the payments be on this? what is the insurance on this? stuff like that , I seen the truck I want at freightliner in portland, its pnly $186,000, they had used ones for $40,000 to $100,000 and the lowest had 600,000 miles or more and only a 1 year warranty, so if you got bad credit FFE has a zero down, they take 1 cent per mile for your down for the 20 months, and in 20 months you can get a truck with 300 to 400 thousand miles for $325 per week for 20 months with zero down... so these fleece programs are not just buying a truck but you can lease a truck to a company, so another question for the Gman is why would a O/O take their truck and lease it to a company ??? why would anyone do that.... ??? I know being on your own is good, some drivers I know only work 2 weeks off 2 weeks and still make $150,000 a year profit and I know several lease operators who own their truck and make $85,000 too $100,000 a year and drive all year, I am a company driver and make less than or around $45,000, its a question for the Gman ??, are all lease programs bad? I see stuff Like JR Trucking on the door and in small print it says leased to swift transportation or Bob's Transport then its leased to FFE, are these drivers crazy for owning a truck and leasing to another company rather tha being there own authority is all i am asking ?? for the G'ster..
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
New or Used, thats my queestion for Gman ?????, I know yo can get a new truck like what I am driving, a stripped down freightliner and FFE paid $144,000 for it, sure its a new company truck but what would the payments be on this? what is the insurance on this? stuff like that , I seen the truck I want at freightliner in portland, its pnly $186,000, they had used ones for $40,000 to $100,000 and the lowest had 600,000 miles or more and only a 1 year warranty, so if you got bad credit FFE has a zero down, they take 1 cent per mile for your down for the 20 months, and in 20 months you can get a truck with 300 to 400 thousand miles for $325 per week for 20 months with zero down... so these fleece programs are not just buying a truck but you can lease a truck to a company, so another question for the Gman is why would a O/O take their truck and lease it to a company ??? why would anyone do that.... ??? I know being on your own is good, some drivers I know only work 2 weeks off 2 weeks and still make $150,000 a year profit and I know several lease operators who own their truck and make $85,000 too $100,000 a year and drive all year, I am a company driver and make less than or around $45,000, its a question for the Gman ??, are all lease programs bad? I see stuff Like JR Trucking on the door and in small print it says leased to swift transportation or Bob's Transport then its leased to FFE, are these drivers crazy for owning a truck and leasing to another company rather tha being there own authority is all i am asking ?? for the G'ster..
A $144,000 and $186,000 for a Freightliner. :shock: :shock: :shock: