User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Douglas, the big thing is learn to relax. You can easily try to hard and get too frustrated and then everything gets worse real fast.

When I was in school the first couple of days I couldn't even do a good straight line back, then one day things clicked and I noticed big improvements each day. By the time I tested out I only got docked 1 point on the entire skills and driving tests. I assure you that I am not one of those drivers that was born with a steering wheel in his hands and teethed on a glad hand. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 AM

Douglas, I feel your pain! I am at exactly the same place in school as you are. We spent about an hour today doing straight line backing. I couldn't figure out how you could be centered in front of the hole and not be able to just keep the wheel straight and back right in. It was sooooo frustrating!!!

I am also having some difficulty with down shifting. I told the instructor I hope they had rubber gears in the transmission!

I think the best thing you and I can do is to remember its baby steps and it will all come together. Even a monkey can be trained to drive a truck. It takes more to learn to shift and back up. I think we are right on track. I know I haven't been approached by my instructor regarding concern I won't make it. Next week I'm hoping things start clicking on the things I'm having trouble with.

All I can say is hang in there.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Board Regular

You should have seen the warehouse we had to deliver to for K-Mart when I had just started OTR. It was outside of NYC, seemed to be an Asian neighborhood. Anyway, this place was so tight, I was on my drive time, I woke up my old man because I knew I could never do it. He did my manuvering for me, and even he had a hell of a time. I think we were with Werner on that one. Just to many of these places were built to accept trucks half the size of today's trucks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't feel bad, some people get backing right away, some don't. I still don't get backing, and I have had my license for almost 2 years. I just can't figure out why I have so many problems.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Everyone one of us experienced drivers were rookies at backing once...
It just takes practice. There are somedays I could not back my trailer to save my life... 8) My trailer is real fun to back ... its a spread axle. :shock:
Old 01-27-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey4069
Underground food warehouse Ive only been to the one in joplin once . kind a pain to back into the docks because its kinda dark shadows .
There is a produce cold storage place up in Santa Maria California that is like that too...they forget to turn the lights on and your backing into darkness...

Once I went up to the woman dispatcher and asked her to get off the phone and get on the lights.....she wasnt amused. But she did turn them on.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

We all have are rookie days i know i do ops:
Old 01-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Board Regular

Try having to blind side back into a dock! One of the Walmarts was not properly designed for truckers. In order to get into the docks there is just enough room to fit a 53' trailer around the corner, then you have to blind side back into the dock.

To top all that fun off, you hope no one parks next to you as you cannot get out because there is no room to make the right turn to get out. I wish I would have taken pictures to better describe it.

It sucks!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

Backing just take plenty of practice. Also remember when backing TURN YOUR CB OFF!! What you DON'T need are some yahoos on the CB making snide and rude comments when you're trying to push a 53' trailer into a narrow parking space. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
Douglas, I feel your pain! I am at exactly the same place in school as you are. We spent about an hour today doing straight line backing. I couldn't figure out how you could be centered in front of the hole and not be able to just keep the wheel straight and back right in. It was sooooo frustrating!!!

I am also having some difficulty with down shifting. I told the instructor I hope they had rubber gears in the transmission!

I think the best thing you and I can do is to remember its baby steps and it will all come together. Even a monkey can be trained to drive a truck. It takes more to learn to shift and back up. I think we are right on track. I know I haven't been approached by my instructor regarding concern I won't make it. Next week I'm hoping things start clicking on the things I'm having trouble with.

All I can say is hang in there.
We haven't started practicing shifting yet. In about 3 weeks or so, we're going to get on the road and probably go down to Fargo, GA. It's in the middle of nowhere, with hardly any traffic. I know I'll probably have a tough time learning to shift, too. :wink:
Old 01-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Backing???? Parralell Parking???

It's so easy, even a CAVEMAN could do it!!
Useless, you have been watching too nuch TV....lol