User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Keeping your truck at home

Hello all, I've read and heard that some companies will allow you to take your truck home with you on your home time, as long as you have a safe place to keep the truck near you. My question is, what would be the best way to find out where the nearest 'safe' place to keep a rig around my area would be? How did you guys find your 'safe' spots? Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I live in a very residential area and local zoning laws do not allow me to keep my truck at home. I asked a local garage near my house if I could pay them to park it there. They said, why don't you park it down that little road there, that's what they do for a living. I had no idea this place existed. I pay $35 per month and the whole place is locked and gated and I was given a key. It's less that 1/4 mile from my house!! So, ask around.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Investagative work. Depends on where you live...the roads...local restrictions? Drive around (POV) and keep your eyes open for Truck Stops, Truck Dealerships, Commercial Yards, a Farmer...maybe has a Big Truck parked in his yard...any parked Big Truck...get out and ask.

I helped a Driver once off my DeLorme Street Map...but Pennsylvania is a large place to search.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Check around for self storage companies that offer RV parking (a term you'll want to use to when asking if they offer parking.) I used to manage properties like that, we charged roughly $40-$60/month. Generally they will have video surveillance, most cases 24 hour access if you tell what you are doing and if they have electronic access. Its also convenient as you can swap your car or truck out with the tractor so you can get home easily. But with all things, be careful in your decision, check for good lighting, ask about security, is there a resident manager, etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM

I am training with TMC. I've been very surprised how little support the company offers the drivers on places to park their rigs on days off. During orientation, I asked for ideas and suggestions on where to park. The instructor said it was not TMC's responsibility, it was the driver's.

I understand, but all I wanted was some ideas or pointers. The instructor still refused to budge. All he could say was DO NOT to park it on Wal*Mart lots, and DO NOT to park it on soft ground. He also said we would have to check on the truck a couple times each day to be sure it was still OK.

With the high cost of the loads, the thefts nowadays, and the cost of the tractor, I would think TMC would be a bit more helpful in giving some sort of guidance. I'm not even asking for financial support, just some good old fashioned tips and advice. It is a very odd way to run a business in my opinion.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Stevens paid for a drop lot in El Paso for drivers in the area to park our trucks. I lived about a 1/2 hour away from the lot so it was no big deal for me to call and have somebody waiting for me when I parked the truck.

I decided it wasn't really worth my paying money out of my pocket to park the truck closer to home.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
I am training with TMC. I've been very surprised how little support the company offers the drivers on places to park their rigs on days off. During orientation, I asked for ideas and suggestions on where to park. The instructor said it was not TMC's responsibility, it was the driver's.

I understand, but all I wanted was some ideas or pointers. The instructor still refused to budge. All he could say was DO NOT to park it on Wal*Mart lots, and DO NOT to park it on soft ground. He also said we would have to check on the truck a couple times each day to be sure it was still OK.

With the high cost of the loads, the thefts nowadays, and the cost of the tractor, I would think TMC would be a bit more helpful in giving some sort of guidance. I'm not even asking for financial support, just some good old fashioned tips and advice. It is a very odd way to run a business in my opinion.
Do you know where the TMC Terminal Locations are? or do they not need them with flatbedding?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstern
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2

Do you know where the TMC Terminal Locations are? or do they not need them with flatbedding?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

good luck
Old 12-30-2006, 10:54 PM

hstern said:
Quote:
Yes, the closest one is Des Moines - about 5 hours from my home. My recruiter said there would be no problem finding a place to park the truck. But he has changed his tune now and tells me to ask my trainer. My trainer does not live in the same area so he said he had no suggestions. He wasn't even aware of the Wal*Mart ban on TMC trucks.

I'm confident I'll find something but this is another example of "don't trust what the company or the recruiter tells you".

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/