User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB Radio

Do all truck drivers have a CB Radio in the cab? If so, where do you get one and who installs it for you?

Those of you that have a CB, if you are in a certain area you aren't familiar with, how do you find the proper channel on the CB for that area?

Is a CB completely worth having, or do some drivers just make do without one?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 12-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Board Regular

You can get one at any truck stop, or radio shop, and they are very easy to install yourself, most company trucks have the two posts to attach the power and ground wires, if not you can buy a power cord that plugs into your lighter, and then plug the antenna to the back,
it is a good idea to check the SWR, a good radio or CB shop can explain this to you, If the SWR is too high eventually you can ruin your radio, A CB shop can do this for you

In most places channel 19 is the one to be on to look for information, although some places run on different channels

Sure you can get by without one but a CB can be useful to get information on traffic ahead, let you know that the road ahead is closed so you can take a detour and not be stuck in a backup, or if you are lost someone might be able to give you directions

Keep in mind that there is a lot of bulls**t on the radio as well, when this happens I just turn the squelch all the way up or just turn it off
Old 12-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Board Regular

Hope this helps you
Old 12-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can get a CB from most truck stops, CB shops and Radio Shack. I have usually gotten a better deal at truck stops. Most drivers have a CB. Some receivers and shippers use the CB to call you to load or pick up your papers. You don't need to spend a lot of money on one. You should be abe to buy one for $50-100. A Cobra 19 will be all that you will need and will be one of the least expensive you can find. You may find a used one that a trucker wants to sell when they buy a new radio. You can sometimes find a used radio for as little as $25. You can install it yourself. Most trucks are already wired for the radio. All you need do is attach a couple of wires. Unless you are color blind, you should not have any problem with installation. Wires are color coded. Just attach the black to black, red to red. Most areas operate on Channel 19. I-5 mostly uses Channel 17. Parts of Canada uses different frequencies. If you keep it on 19, you should be all right in most areas of the country. There is no need to go out immediately and buy a radio. Wait until you have some extra money and get one.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: CB Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
Do all truck drivers have a CB Radio in the cab? If so, where do you get one and who installs it for you?

Those of you that have a CB, if you are in a certain area you aren't familiar with, how do you find the proper channel on the CB for that area?

Is a CB completely worth having, or do some drivers just make do without one?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Most drivers do have a CB.

You purchase a CB just about anywhere. Truck stops, K-mart, Walmart, Sears, Radio Shack, many online CB shops, etc.

Most install them themself.

Most truckers use channel 19. There are exceptions such as on the west coast. Many warehouses use CB for check-in and door assignments. In such a case normally there is a sign or guard shack that will tell you what channel is being used.

You can get by without one but a CB does come in handy. At the very least I'd suggest you get a portable CB. Problem with the portable is they cost about the same as a regular CB with an antenna To me even a cheap mobile will work better than a portable.

kc0iv
Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Many times shippers and receivers will use a cb to communicate with drivers, telling them what door to back up to, when their truck is loaded/unloaded etc. In these cases its almost a necessity to have one.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I just had to weigh in. I really think the industry needs a well monitored frequency. It's so sad that the radio has so much faul malicious crap on in. It's a tool that not a single driver should be without.

Often it can save you from an accident. Come around a bend or over a blind hill on a 70 mph road with traphic shut down because of an accident just ONCE and you'll understand why it should be required.

I just wish we could get rid of the losers that make it such a crappy experiance to leave it on at all times...

The generation of no respect is among us.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 PM

As mentioned, there is a lot of trash on the CB. BUT in a LARGE vehicle you would be unwise not to have outside communications, the CB.
I spent the $$ for a Cobra 29 and a good antenna{1}. Over a year added a power mic, talkback and echo box. It has a great sound.
What ever you go with make sure it works and you are "getting out".
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Board Regular

I don't have one myself, been driving for months without one.. Kinda dont see the point to one. When I was with my trainer I turned it on to hear argueing and bickering. I do have a Magellan Gps that I cant live with out and just bought a nice laptop. Xm Radio can take care of traffic situations I always have it on.

Shippers ask if I have CB I say no and give them cell number or they have someone walk up to truck and knock. So I chill playing Games on my portable Play station and wait for a knock or phone call don't have to strain my ears listening to the CB. As far as cop alerts go, I trail others and watch for brake lights.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
I don't have one myself, been driving for months without one.. Kinda dont see the point to one. When I was with my trainer I turned it on to hear argueing and bickering. I do have a Magellan Gps that I cant live with out and just bought a nice laptop. Xm Radio can take care of traffic situations I always have it on.

Shippers ask if I have CB I say no and give them cell number or they have someone walk up to truck and knock. So I chill playing Games on my portable Play station and wait for a knock or phone call don't have to strain my ears listening to the CB. As far as cop alerts go, I trail others and watch for brake lights.
I've seen drivers wait at a dock for up to two hours after they have been loaded/unloaded because they didn't have a CB and no one took the time to walk out a let them know. As far as giving them your cell# a lot of places refuse to use that method of contact. I hardly ever use my CB outside of picking up or delivering but I would never be caught without one.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?