User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Been out the truck for a few years....options?

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Newbie to the site here. Drove about 8 years, mostly dry box, primarily eastern US, lots of NE. No tickets, no DOT accidents, 2 minor incidents (last in 2000). No tix in my personal vehicle since 1980. 46 years old, Class A CDL, twins endorsement only. Live in Western NC.

Hitch? Been out of the truck since Feb, 2003, so nearly three years. I know Schneider will take me (spoken to them), but was wondering about any other options that I might have. I had the HazMat endorsement, but let it slide, and can go back and get it if needed. Would strongly prefer being home every weekend, and running the SE, as I have my son living with me now (he's 12).

Ideas? Suggestions? I appreciate all input. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Board Member

JB Hunt wil also take you
Old 11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Board Regular

Try Averitt Express. They are a SE regional carrier and will get you home on weekends. With your experience, I bet they will jump on you.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:16 AM

Try http://www.howolding.com.

They're currently looking for SE regional drivers. I also believe there's a Service Center in Rock Hill, SC.

Home week-ends and just started paying practical miles as of October.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

First of all, why did you get out of trucking. If it was for a safety reason (speeding tickets/license suspension/accidents) that might limit your ability. If you got out of trucking because you were tired of it, left the last company in good standing and they can be verified, then you shouldn't have any problem. Also did you keep your CDL up to date.

Crete Carrier would review your application and if everything came back good would put you in a truck at .41 cpm on the national fleet. Depending on where you live you might be able to get on a dedicated or regional run.

The only thing you might be facing is a short period with an evaluator. If you do it would be 1-3 weeks, pay would be $600 a week and then a way you go.

Please check them out at www.cretecarrier.com
Old 11-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Rookie

Left trucking during a tough divorce. Stayed away by choice to refocus and get my life settled down again, lose a little weight, and ended up meeting a terrific lady that I have since married.
Only thing is my last company said on my DAC that I dropped my truck at an "unauthorized location". It was one of their own terminals that I dropped it at with pre-approval (the old "my word against theirs"). According to DAC, I am rehireable by my last company upon review, so it couldn't have been that bad, though several companies have stated they would not hire me because of this (I have a copy of my DAC report, and it's the only thing that can be construed as a blemish on it). My on-time record was nearly perfect in eight years. CDL is current through 2010. Clean criminal record as well, BTW.
Thanks to all for responding, and to others who may. I am actually looking to return after the first of the year. I'll take any info I can get.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might see if they will either change what they put on your DAC or give you a letter stating something about the truck and drop off. Perhaps you could even go back with your old company, if you left on good terms.