User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What ever happened to old "Dog" Chapman?? did he get jail time or what??
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Room Discounts

Ask for 'em. My experience most motels have a "truckers discount" based solely on CDL A possession. If you're over 50, get an AARP card, I get temps in the mail all the time. BOL
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a buddy who is over 50 and doesnt have an AARP card....he just asked for his "aarp discount" and they NEVER ask to see the card.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Hey ...

Big THANKS to ALL and the spirit everyone posted with.

I now have a much better picture of the issue, the idustry ... and lodging!

Here's hoping there's someone to leave the light on for all of us. (cough, cough...)
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I use military discount and they never ask for proof.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Board Regular

I have found out that the price of a room is also negotiable. The later it is the cheaper the negotiated price will be. I never knew this until one of my cousins started working at a Ramada. It works ! try it
Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: How do I get disconts at Motels/Hotels

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman
Reading the thread on "Showers", brings up a question that's been on my mind:

How do I obtain a "Check Inn Card" and is that the only way to get discounts at motels/hotels and are there other ways?
If you're a Veteran and you belong to any Vet organizations they all will give you Discounts on Rentals-Motel/Hotel etc etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Default The worst they can say is No.

Hotels will give a 10% maybe 15% discount for any reason. An empty room costs more money than an occupied room with overhead, utilities, etc. Basically, just ask. Explain that you're staying for more than one night, take notice of the number of cars in the parking lot, or the number of lights on in the windows. Never, NEVER EVER say you'll only be there a few hours, or only want a clean shower. If the hotel has of empty rooms and it's 10:30 at night, they'll do what ever they can to get heads in beds. If the hotel has only one room left and it's 8pm, forget it, you'll pay twice what the room is worth.

Points programs are to get you to spend more money at the national level, just like airline miles on your credit card. I only remember Holiday Inn offering discounts for their Priority Club. Everyone else basically gives you enough points so that you can someday get a free night. Even with discounted rates, those points add up and will come in handy around vacation time. Fairfield Inn is built for that purpose. Travelers stay at Fairfields for the lower rate, but cash their points in at other Marriott hotels in the Bahamas, Cancun, etc. Most travelers generally think of it as their tenth night free but most travelers are members of EVERY points program.

Most hotel employees don't know about resets and you really want them to. They understand you have a sleeper an can live in the truck, but to keep from having an empty room, they'll work with you for a two night stay, especially on the slow nights like Sunday or Thursday. Be as nice as you can. Hotel clerks get enough a33holes and won't do anything to help them. Don't invite them to the room either, then they just want you to go away. If you do get a good discount, make sure you tell the manager in the morning how you could have gone anywhere, but the desk clerk at night made you choose this place. Also tell them you have coworkers who come through the area regularly and you can recommend their hotel.

If you can call around before hand, most hotels will match their competition's rates, especially on the slow nights.

Now the Check Inn card is operated by Corporate Lodging Consultants from somewhere in Kansas. Hotel owners nationwide are hoping a tornado will hit that building. CLC operates just like Priceline and Hotels.com. They hustle hotel chains into a bare bones rate, usually about a 50% discount, then brag to the customers how they got a 20% discount for them and they pocket the rest. Plus the hotels have to jump through so many hoops to make sure they get paid, they'll probably be happy to offer a 15% or 20% discount just to avoid the hassle.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

yeah dk132 if you look close you might even c their rate negotiation sheet on the lower counter.such as what to do incase of rate resistance &so on.
i think its fair to take their normal rate divide by 24 hrs in the day how many hours left before chck out equals the price. I have always tried to find the cheapest decent hotel alot of them 50to 80 per night is just to much what a rip off.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I always ask for the trucker rate. If they don't have one, ask if you qualify for another one. A lot of the time if you smile at the clerk or start a conversation they will hook you up and give you a good rate, and a better room location.

In Orange county California, I was shocked a LaQuinta was over 100 bucks, so I put on my puppy dog face and the guy gave it to me for 90 flat.

With the rate of motel stays I did during the summer, I should have at least a Bachelor's of Hotel Room Negotiation 8)

But, always ask for the discount. Make it seem that price is the concern, not the ammentities (as long as they have wifi, I could care less about workout rooms, breakfast, etc) because that isn't important to me. Sometimes, I can't negotiate the rate, but I get an upgrade.