User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Where to stop when turning right...

I noticed that it didn't say this anywhere in the michigan CDL manual.

When driving for the farm I usually stop about 30 feet from the stop sign in the right lane, look for cross traffic (if visibility allows). When it's clear I move over to the center/left and make my turn without stopping AT the stop sign. I found this useful because if I stop at the stop sign in the left lane or center, some arrogant driver will come barelling down the road turn on my road and either try to squeeze past me, or stop and get pssed off at me.

What is the "proper" way to do this?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Where to stop when turning right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmtruckin
I noticed that it didn't say this anywhere in the michigan CDL manual.

When driving for the farm I usually stop about 30 feet from the stop sign in the right lane, look for cross traffic (if visibility allows). When it's clear I move over to the center/left and make my turn without stopping AT the stop sign. I found this useful because if I stop at the stop sign in the left lane or center, some arrogant driver will come barelling down the road turn on my road and either try to squeeze past me, or stop and get pssed off at me.

What is the "proper" way to do this?
I can only say what Texas requires. I would think all states would be very similar. Stop behind the sign or the mark on the road. If you cannot see clearly then you can ease up until you can see. Position your truck three or four feet from the curb, this does not allow room for a car to try to pass. Do not stray from your lane. When you turn, if necessary, pull out into the far lane, whether it is a two lane four lane or a two or four lane with a turning lane. All you are doing here is avoiding the curb or other hazards at the corner. When your back wheels have cleared the curb then swing back into your proper lane. Turn from the right lane into the right lane, turn from the left lane into the left lane.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I know I do it wrong, I stop on the line with my blinker on, ohhh I forgot to mention I take up both lanes if I can, if not I can swing wide enough and make a right turn , I just pull out almost across the street then turn sharp almost into cross traffic and never have I hit a stop sign or lightpost or touched the curb.. but I stop on the line at the cross walk, been back 30 feet I am entering somtimes and its yellow aready on the light, I get up front and personal with traffic, no time to lay back..I will push them back if I have to or I block the intersectioin until they move, most times it has never been a problem turning any direction anywhere yet...