User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've got Sprint for both the cell phone and wireless. I haven't had any problems with it. In fact, the card picks up better than the cell phone. I ran across I-77 in WV a couple of days ago, and in the 'low' section between Beckley & Charleston, I had no cell phone signal, but I was downloading at about 15k/sec.

I have EVDO signals (120-200k/sec) in every major city I've been in. When not on EVDO, it averages 15-20k/sec.

I pay $59.99 for the unlimited plan (and Sprint is truly unlimited).
Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

with broadband and laptop than download skpye get rid of the cell.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I've got Sprint for both the cell phone and wireless. I haven't had any problems with it. In fact, the card picks up better than the cell phone. I ran across I-77 in WV a couple of days ago, and in the 'low' section between Beckley & Charleston, I had no cell phone signal, but I was downloading at about 15k/sec.

I have EVDO signals (120-200k/sec) in every major city I've been in. When not on EVDO, it averages 15-20k/sec.

I pay $59.99 for the unlimited plan (and Sprint is truly unlimited).
Do you also have to have phone service with them to get that price?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I am sending this on the verizon broadband, I am in the middle of nowhere and I have phone service I get internet.... I only pay 59.95 per month and its because I got 5 phones on a family plan, I can send text messages to any phone from my laptop which is also included with verizon....I cacn recieve text messages on my laptop as well, I heard good and bad about sprint card so I decided to get verizon since we have a family plan with them, in a major city its fast enough I download videos, I can watch news casts with no lag at all, its the best thing unless your in the middle of texas where there is no cell towers but I bet sprint wont work there either...
Old 10-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
I am sending this on the verizon broadband, I am in the middle of nowhere and I have phone service I get internet.... I only pay 59.95 per month and its because I got 5 phones on a family plan, I can send text messages to any phone from my laptop which is also included with verizon....I cacn recieve text messages on my laptop as well, I heard good and bad about sprint card so I decided to get verizon since we have a family plan with them, in a major city its fast enough I download videos, I can watch news casts with no lag at all, its the best thing unless your in the middle of texas where there is no cell towers but I bet sprint wont work there either...
In the middle of Texas? Some houses and business even have indoor plumbing! Just last week we upgraded our phone system from the tin can and string system to the crank telephone system. The Metro Austin has a population of well over a million and growing.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
In the middle of Texas? Some houses and business even have indoor plumbing! Just last week we upgraded our phone system from the tin can and string system to the crank telephone system. The Metro Austin has a population of well over a million and growing.

As I type This I am literaly in the middle of Texas BFT as some people call it. Verizon Broadband aircard is much faster than the local dial up. I also drive all over Central Texas. My job requires me to use my laptop for data entry the only time it wont work is in a good ole Texas thunder storm.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Senior Board Member

How 'bout Cingular service? Anyone use that?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Rookie

I have four cells on Cingular, do email and text from mine. It's worked nicely for me most everywhere.

Lately I've considered a Cingular card for my notebook. The cost is about 50 per month and the speed is suppose to be pretty good in most metro areas, okay in other areas where there is phone service. The card cost is 200.

An alternative is through Sirrcomm, which supports the wifi connects at petro, pilot, love, and some others. It's cheaper and uses existing wifi built into the notebook. Limitations are having to be in range of the truck stop.

There are free wifi at many places, but they're not secure at all--and not always where you can park easily in a truck unless you drop your trailer.

All the best, Tee
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Board Regular
Default I need a little clarification, here . .

. . there is another thread on this subject around here, somewhere. The user/poster got a termination letter from his carrier/provider, I believe it was Verizon, because he was exceeding his bandwidth allowance.

When I'm at a Flying J or T/A, I can IM, webcam, watch news, listen to audio, up and download movies, etc. with no problem. Can you do the same with the phone services? The above referenced poster found out the hard way that he could not.

Allow me to take a swipe at Sirricom, while I'm at it . . Flying J is generally excellent, T/A is generally very good and Sirricom (Pilot, Loves, Petro and A M Best) absolutely sucks. Even with a decent signal and high (supposedly) transfer rate it is ridiculously slow, predictably unreliable and more expensive than the other two . . as bad as dial up, if not worse. Use it at your own risk and only as a last resort.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
How 'bout Cingular service? Anyone use that?
I'm curious about them too. I have my cell though Cingular and have been looking at there PC Cards. My only problem is that their best plan offers 50mb a month. And I'm not sure how good or bad that is. Mos of the others offer unlimited at the same price per month.