User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Rak
They'll have you put your feet together, palms up and out at shoulder level, with eyes closed for a few moments to check balance.
That's also a quick test to see if you've had a stroke. Someone who has will start to slowly drop the left hand.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef
Thanks for the defenition...

I wonder how many people actually fail the health part of the physical...I wonder if it happens much.
Don't sweat the physical. You'll be fine. Especially if you were a personal trainer and in good condition. You should be healthy. I would assume anyway. It will take a few minutes and you will be out of there.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Rookie

and if they do find something wrong...can you still drive, will they give you meds?

Thanks, again I havent been to the doc for a physical since highschool...and docs just make me nearvous, and i feel like they are going to find something wrong...
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Rookie
Default Re

My last physical took place in my employer's office. It took 5 minutes (after urine analysis) and I didn't have to take off a single article of clothing. But my first DOT physical was very thorough and was done in a medical office. I drive school buses, so I need it done once a year.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:49 PM

The physical is pretty basic. They'll check vision, hearing (by whispering something to see if you hear them), pulse, blood pressure... the basics. They will also ask you for a medical history.

According to my Dr. the single biggest failure issue is blood pressure. At that, your BP has to be pretty high to be disqualified. Margianlly high BP can force you into required treatment and/or more frequent physicals.

It's really nothing to worry about. Blood pressure can be treated with medication, vision can be treated with eye glasses, etc.. etc... There are a few outright disqualifiers, such as epilepsy, but not very many.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Rookie

well how about this...and btw my doc does know this...if i take my bp at home its low, i mean after my three takings a couple weeks ago, my lowest was 120 something over 50 something, and thats at 6-3 350-360...but if i was at the docs office and he took it it would be high, could i explain that to him? and when i explained that to him what would probably happen?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
docs just make me nearvous, and i feel like they are going to find something wrong...
Well, if there was something wrong with you, wouldn't you rather know about it so you could do something to fix it rather than let it get worse? What you don't know can hurt you.

The physicals are not difficult. You're in, you're out. Nothing major. Get used to peeing in a cup. Make sure you drink plenty of water before you go, or you could end up being there a while. That's what happened to me.

Regarding joining the truck driving profession. Hey, you're young. You're unattached. Why not?

It's a demanding job. You will work up to 14-hour days, perhaps 6 days a week. You will not have much of a social life outside of the truck, because you will rarely be outside of the truck. But it can be fun to go to places you've never been before. Sleeping in the berth always reminds me of camping. If you can find a quiet place to sleep without a lot of trucks idling, and a nice cross-breeze, it can be very enjoyable. And the money is not bad. You won't get rich, but you can earn a decent living.

It can be a lonely life, especially for a family man. I've only been driving since last spring, and I'm finding that I miss my wife and kids much more than I thought I would. There are days I like it, and there are days I wonder what the hell I was thinking.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice...

Oh, I know, its common logic to want to know if something was wrong...but.....lol
Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcso
Dude, you can get a job as a probation or parole officer for my state in a heatbeat just by having a degree. You'd make about the same amount of money for entirely less work.
Law Enforcement vs Driving is very apples to oranges.

Yes you can make more $ for less hours per week, but its not the most satisfying work for the most part. As a PO you're a babysitter with handcuffs for misbehaving adults. LE has its own set of occupational hazards and headaches. My uncle is a retired probation officer in Sacramento and my step-grandfather was a CHP.

Beef

I have a BS in Biz Admin and I'm happy driving right now. I got my CDL in April, got a start time in July doing outbound dock (sort of a utility infield position of dock, P&D and running line)

Would I want to do my current job for the next 30 yrs, Heck No! I'll be moving into management at Con-Way or onto a new challenge in the next year or two once my Jeep is paid off and I have some savings.

Benchmarking against some of my friends from high school and college who also have a 4yr degree I'm making the same or better money. There is something to be said for the job security of transportation. I've watched my father get laid off or have to leave 5 jobs in the last ~15yrs, these were all controller/finance/management positions.

I've worked a variety of office jobs (insurance, state of CA handing out $ for photovoltaic systems, sales/lobbying for a solar wholesaler) and they are a very different animal than driving.

There is something to be said for driving. Heck I've had good nights going over Donner with a full moon reflecting off the lake where I'd would almost do it for free. Then there are the bad days with difficult customers, equipment failures, spilled pallets, etc.

If you don't mind more physical work look into LTL or flatbedding, you can make better money than van or reefer. Depending on the local market for drivers many LTLs will give you free training if you are willing to be a dockworker for 3-5 months.

Follow your bliss and BOL

Ian
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Hey Rat,
Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it...I am single currently...

What do you think of local and regional truck driving jobs, like coke, pepsi, etc...?

There is a program at the local community college...do you think that would be suitable?
One of my first driving jobs was for Pepsi. It is a good place to start if you want to stay local. They will take you right out of school. It can be very hard work and it will make your back old very quickly. The older guys who had been there forever all walked a little hunched. BOL