User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If their salary fits your life why not. All the coke/pepsi jobs around here require a class a already. Sure there are jobs that don't require it, but they aren't hiring for those around here.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:58 PM

It all depends on what you like, or think you might like. Driving delivery for Coke or the like is more unloading and stocking than it is driving. I once looked into a job of that nature, and was told outright that 2/3 of my time would be spent in one store or another, the driving is incidental. Now driving regional freight is a different matter. Me, I would get bored treading the same ground over and over, but some guys love the predictability and the better hometime. That comes down to personal preference. If I were you, I would probably look to go OTR for starters, see if you like it. Then if you start feeling like you want more hometime, look to regional or dedicated accounts. Often, you can get regional runs from an OTR company once you put some time in.

As far as community colleges go, there are some top flight CC programs out there. As a rule, they are much better than the CDL schools you see advertised. Get the best training that you can. A community college will often offer you a way to do that while still living at home. It's definately worth looking into.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a 4 year degree in IT and I drive a truck. Make more money doing this than I did when I worked in the IT field.

I would agree with most here that it is much easier to find out if trucking is for you right now while you don't have a family to miss while you are out there on the road.

Just because you have the degree, doesn't mean that you have to use it, especially if you don't like the career that you are using it for. Plus just because you're trucking doesn't mean that you will never use what you were taught. That degree could be extremely helpful in helping you land promotions in the trucking industry down the road as well. I could see it helping you if you should choose to come off the road into a management career or becoming a trainer or instructor with your trucking company.

The number one thing is that you are happy with what you are doing and that you are making enough money to provide for yourself and others who may be depending on you.

I also agree with getting your CDL on your own. It will open many more doors. Do your homework and pick the company that offers the best fit for you.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out! You have all given me great info...I have a communications degree and history degree...I havent really used my degree yet, and I am not really concerned about using it! Since I have gotten out of school, I have worked at the ymca, been a personal trainer, worked at a hotel doing audio/visual, and I have been doing home improvement primarily since I graduated...I also do deliveries for a seafood company and absolutely love it.

Can someone explain the process of what happens when you go to get your dot physical?

As I said earlier I absolutely hate going to the doctor and have a fear of them...lol

any more info is greatly welcomed!

Thanks again...
Old 10-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Turn your Head and Cough
How far down the eyesight chart can you see
Color Blindness Test
Drug Test
BP
I'll think of more later
Old 10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Default want to be a truck driver

as far as the D.O.T. physical, yes you have to take it.. and yes the doctor will check you out.. some companies require a stress test, to see how fit you are. you say you've been thinking about making a career out of trucking.. well being an OTR truck driver is a whole lot different than making local deliveries in a small truck.. theres a lot more to it than just getting in the truck and driving. just so you know.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Board Regular

They might whisper 25 feet away something like a 2 digit number.
They'll have you put your feet together, palms up and out at shoulder level, with eyes closed for a few moments to check balance.
What else, they may check your flexibility, especially around your wrists and hands, and maybe your back.
They could check your reflexes; one doctor had me put my hands together palms out and down while he did so, and then asked if I felt any tingling.
In the urine analysis they'll also check for abnormal sugar and protein levels.

---

The point of getting a college education extends far beyond the field you studied. You take a Bachelor's degree anywhere and get a job. You'll make more than a high school graduate any day. The point is you enjoy the type of work you do. If you think you'll find that enjoyment in trucking, then go for it.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Rookie

What does the protien and sugar show? Diabeties?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Board Regular

According to webmd.com,

Quote:
Protein is normally not detected in the urine. Sometimes a small amount of protein is released into the urine when a person stands up (this condition is called postural proteinuria). Fever, strenuous exercise, normal pregnancy, and some diseases, especially kidney disease, may also cause protein in the urine.

Glucose is the type of sugar usually found in blood. Normally there is very little or no glucose in urine. However, when the blood sugar level is very high, as in uncontrolled diabetes, it spills over into the urine. Glucose can also be present in urine when the kidneys are damaged or diseased.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the defenition...

I wonder how many people actually fail the health part of the physical...I wonder if it happens much.